By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,847 Members | 2,153 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,847 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Strange report problems: Problem and solution

P: n/a
In hopes of preventing aggravation for others, here's documentation of
a strange problem and its solution.

I have an application on a network. One user was having trouble with
reports. IT guy and I worked together to investigate, because I know
Access reallyreally well, but I'm a Windows/network dummy.

Investigation showed:

-- We could view reports in design view, but attempts to preview
reports failed silently.

-- At one point while I was mucking around with VBA code I saw the
message "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in
an unusual way". Looked that up, but didn't find anything helpful,
but we thought a reinstallation of Access might help. It didn't.
(True confessions: We did not get the chance to install service packs
before finding a resolution to the problem, so don't know how that
would have affected things.)

-- Attempting to manually create a new report failed silently.

-- Attempting to create a report using the wizard resulted in "The
Wizard is unable to create your report."

Aha -- something to look up! The error message was referenced in
Microsoft Knowledge Base article 208553, which referred to the problem
of no default printer.

Turns out we did have a default printer selected, but it was a network
printer that went through a print server outside of the building. This
occurred because the server itself was recently there and then it was
relocated to improve performance. So basically, it was a shared
printer, which worked absolutely fine, but was getting print requests
from another section of the company. So what we did (and by "we" I
mean "he") was delete that printer reference and make one that printed
directly to the IP address of the printer. Once we did that, it worked
like a charm.

Gotta love working with the IT guys who are willing to think through
things with you. Thanks, Eric!

Aug 5 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
I had a similar problem recently, and the fix was similar to yours -
reinstalling the default printer. Except my problem was worse. The
Print Spooler (on the workstation) got corrupted somehow. For a while -
I had to go into my workstation servcies (Start/Run/services.msc) and
scroll to Print Spooler - right-click on properties/start. This worked
for a while, but eventually, something wore out. The big fix was
getting a whole new workstation. Anyway, the point of my story is this:
if reloading the default printer doesn't get it - go to
Start/Run/services.msc, scroll to the Print Spooler/Properties/Start and
restart the Print Spooler.

Rich

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Aug 5 '08 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.