By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
428,839 Members | 2,270 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 428,839 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Should I upgrade my Windows 95 version of Access?

P: n/a

SInce about 1996, I have been happily using MS Access for Windows 95,
but would now like to upgrade to a recent version. If I get a Windows
XP version, will I be able to import all my Access 95 files without
problems?

Alternatively, should I continue applying the "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" approach, and keep on using Access for Win 95?

Thank you for any advice.

JD
Dec 16 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
13 Replies


P: n/a
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...CH100645711033

You might check this out.

Depending on you VBA is how smooth this transition is. Most VBA code
will transfer OK. Some absolutely will malfunction in the newer
version. Make sure you keep a copy of your file before you upgrade.

Personally, I am not always in a hurry to upgrade. In my opinion,
since A2.0 to A2007, each version has offered several improvements.
Of course they have introduced certain "glitches" along the way.
Let's be honest., it's to be expected. Likewise, glitches in older
versions may never get fixed via a patch since that version is no
longer supported. The newer version is the fix.

Since I am a developer, I maintain A97, A2003/2002, and now A2007. I
have clients on each platform. One of my larger clients is still on
A97. A couple of the apps would have saved me development time and we
been on A2003 or 2007. They have costs in not upgrading.

What version of Access is this?
Dec 16 '07 #2

P: n/a
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...CH100645711033

You might check this out.

This also great: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html
Depending on you VBA is how smooth this transition is. Most VBA code
will transfer OK. Some absolutely will malfunction in the newer
version. Make sure you keep a copy of your file before you upgrade.
Personally, I am not always in a hurry to upgrade. In my opinion,
since A2.0 to A2007, each version has offered several improvements.
Of course they have introduced certain "glitches" along the way.
Let's be honest., it's to be expected. Likewise, glitches in older
versions may never get fixed via a patch since that version is no
longer supported. The newer version is the fix.
Since I am a developer, I maintain A97, A2003/2002, and now A2007.
I
have clients on each platform. One of my larger clients is still on
A97. A couple of the apps would have saved me development time and
we
been on A2003 or 2007. They have costs in not upgrading.
What version of Access is this?


Dec 16 '07 #3

P: n/a
JakeD wrote:
SInce about 1996, I have been happily using MS Access for Windows 95,
but would now like to upgrade to a recent version. If I get a Windows
XP version, will I be able to import all my Access 95 files without
problems?

Alternatively, should I continue applying the "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" approach, and keep on using Access for Win 95?

Thank you for any advice.

JD
Since there is no such product as " MS Access for Windows 95" I must assume you
mean "Access 95". This was arguably the very worst version of Access ever
produced (bug-wise) and almost nobody used it once Access 97 came out. In fact
Access 97 was basically Access 95 with everything fixed.

If that is the case then I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that
would recommend you stay with what you have. Now, if what you had was Access 97
then the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage would be appropriate since that
is in many people's opinion the best version ever produced.

Realize also that if you decide to upgrade you would most likely find that the
only thing you can purchase is the current version (Access 2007) which many feel
is not ready for prime time although its first service pack was recently
released. At any rate it is radically different and you would be in for quite a
learning curve. You might be able to find Access 2002 or 2003 on the internet
somewhere and either of those would be better choices in my opinion.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Dec 16 '07 #4

P: n/a
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:44:11 GMT, "Rick Brandt"
<ri*********@hotmail.comwrote:
>JakeD wrote:
>SInce about 1996, I have been happily using MS Access for Windows 95,
but would now like to upgrade to a recent version. If I get a Windows
XP version, will I be able to import all my Access 95 files without
problems?

Alternatively, should I continue applying the "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" approach, and keep on using Access for Win 95?

Thank you for any advice.

JD

>Since there is no such product as " MS Access for Windows 95" I must assume you
mean "Access 95".
Thanks for the input on this. My version is MS Access Version 7.0. If
I click on the Help menu item then click "About Microsoft Access" I do
then see the heading: "Microsoft Access for Windows 95". Under that,
in small print, it says "Version 7.0"
>This was arguably the very worst version of Access ever
produced (bug-wise) and almost nobody used it once Access 97 came out. In fact
Access 97 was basically Access 95 with everything fixed.
I've read other peaopl say there were bugs with my version, but I have
never had any problems with it, until recently, when I started getting
a pop-up window saying "There isn't enough memory to update the
display. Close all unneeded programs and try again" (Closing unneeded
programs never makes any difference, and I'm sure I have loads of free
memory.) I started getting this message some time after opgrading the
OS to XP.
>If that is the case then I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that
would recommend you stay with what you have. Now, if what you had was Access 97
then the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage would be appropriate since that
is in many people's opinion the best version ever produced.
Perhaps that's what I'll do then: try Windows 97 (if I can get it).
>
Realize also that if you decide to upgrade you would most likely find that the
only thing you can purchase is the current version (Access 2007) which many feel
is not ready for prime time although its first service pack was recently
released. At any rate it is radically different and you would be in for quite a
learning curve. You might be able to find Access 2002 or 2003 on the internet
somewhere and either of those would be better choices in my opinion.
OK - thank you for the help.

JD
>Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Dec 16 '07 #5

P: n/a
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:51:50 -0800 (PST), Dean
<no*****@coveyaccounting.comwrote:
>Since I am a developer, I maintain A97, A2003/2002, and now A2007. I
have clients on each platform. One of my larger clients is still on
A97.
Thanks for the response. It's reassuring to hear that some 'big'
clients are still using A97. That should be easy to upgrade to, if I
can get it.
>A couple of the apps would have saved me development time and we
been on A2003 or 2007. They have costs in not upgrading.

What version of Access is this?
I'm using Version 7.0 (released in 1995, or soon after, going by the
copyright date).

JD

Dec 16 '07 #6

P: n/a
JakeD wrote:
Thanks for the input on this. My version is MS Access Version 7.0. If
I click on the Help menu item then click "About Microsoft Access" I do
then see the heading: "Microsoft Access for Windows 95". Under that,
in small print, it says "Version 7.0"
That is Access 95. Access 97 would be version 8
--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Dec 16 '07 #7

P: n/a
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:19:31 -0600, "Rick Brandt"
<ri*********@hotmail.comwrote:
>
That is Access 95. Access 97 would be version 8
OK - thanks. I trust V8 will perform without problems under XP...

JD

Dec 16 '07 #8

P: n/a
JakeD wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:19:31 -0600, "Rick Brandt"
<ri*********@hotmail.comwrote:

That is Access 95. Access 97 would be version 8

OK - thanks. I trust V8 will perform without problems under XP...
Yes.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Dec 16 '07 #9

P: n/a
JakeD <Ja***@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote in
news:53********************************@4ax.com:
Perhaps that's what I'll do then: try Windows 97 (if I can get
it).
You mean "Access 97." There is no such thing as Windows 97.

You won't be able to find a copy of it.

I would recommend trying to acquire Access 2003. That would be the
best use of your money for the long run.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
Dec 16 '07 #10

P: n/a
On Dec 16, 5:35 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
JakeD <Ja...@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote innews:53********************************@4ax.com:
Perhaps that's what I'll do then: try Windows 97 (if I can get
it).

You mean "Access 97." There is no such thing as Windows 97.

You won't be able to find a copy of it.

I would recommend trying to acquire Access 2003. That would be the
best use of your money for the long run.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Access...QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea how legit these things are, of course.

Somewhere or other I have every version of Office, probably more than
one copy of each. I think I never bought the upgrade versions so I
suppose I could sell or give away those I'm not currently using. I
don't want to. But surely there are lots of people like me with a few
hundred CDs and floppies in the basement.

The version that had 80 or so diskettes was a thrill to install. Mine
had a disk flaw on the seventy somethingth diskette. So ... I had to
get that one replaced and do the whole thing over again. Joy to the
World.
Dec 16 '07 #11

P: n/a
On 16 Dec 2007 22:35:07 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<XX*******@dfenton.com.invalidwrote:
>JakeD <Ja***@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote in
news:53********************************@4ax.com :
>Perhaps that's what I'll do then: try Windows 97 (if I can get
it).

You mean "Access 97." There is no such thing as Windows 97.
Yes - sorry, I meant Access 97
>
You won't be able to find a copy of it.

I would recommend trying to acquire Access 2003. That would be the
best use of your money for the long run.
Thanks for the suggestion. I presume my (Acess Ver 7) data will be
easy to import, but what about my queries, reports and forms? Will
they import smoothly, or will they all require rebuilding?

I also have a MS PowerPoint bar graph integrated into the form that
displays each of my customer records. (It shows income from the
customer for each preceeding month.) Will I need a 2003 version of
PowerPoint to carry this over into the 2003 version of Access if I
decide to get it?

JD

Dec 17 '07 #12

P: n/a
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:18:42 +0000, JakeD <Ja***@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote:
>
>>I would recommend trying to acquire Access 2003. That would be the
best use of your money for the long run.
Be aware that Office 2003 will not run on some versions of Windows,
notably W98 or WMe. If, like me, you have such a machine (I have
WMe), Access 2000 is fine. At least, it does everything I want, and
I've written 16 databases with it, with many varied features.
Pete
Dec 18 '07 #13

P: n/a
JakeD <Ja***@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote in
news:m9********************************@4ax.com:
On 16 Dec 2007 22:35:07 GMT, "David W. Fenton"
<XX*******@dfenton.com.invalidwrote:
>>JakeD <Ja***@vjfcjcvfv.comwrote in
news:53********************************@4ax.co m:
>>Perhaps that's what I'll do then: try Windows 97 (if I can get
it).

You mean "Access 97." There is no such thing as Windows 97.

Yes - sorry, I meant Access 97
>>
You won't be able to find a copy of it.

I would recommend trying to acquire Access 2003. That would be the
best use of your money for the long run.

Thanks for the suggestion. I presume my (Acess Ver 7) data will be
easy to import, but what about my queries, reports and forms? Will
they import smoothly, or will they all require rebuilding?
Yes, everything will import.
I also have a MS PowerPoint bar graph integrated into the form
that displays each of my customer records. (It shows income from
the customer for each preceeding month.) Will I need a 2003
version of PowerPoint to carry this over into the 2003 version of
Access if I decide to get it?
That I don't know about. There were so many problems with graph
objects and conflicting versions of MSGRAPH that I gave up on using
it a long time ago.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
Dec 18 '07 #14

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.