By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
444,154 Members | 2,313 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 444,154 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Max Locks Per File Error 2147217887

P: 88
I have a DB in Access 2002 that when it is ran on a few users computers in the company, they get the error that the file sharing lock count has been exceeded and to increase the max locks per file in the registry.

I have had them both increase the max locks per file in their registry to well above the amount of records in the DB. Actually, I had them set it to the same as my computer as I have never recieved the error. I have also had them try typing in the VB code in the immediate widow, and having them make sure that only one person has the DB open at a time.

What gets me is that it doesn't happen all the time. Yesterday after walking the user through trying to set the max locks with VB code and it didnt' work, I had her compact and repair the database and it all of a sudden went away. Now it is happening again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried what microsoft suggested as a work around and they didn't fix it. Could it be a problem with different versions of Access? The user is running 2003 and I built the DB in 2002. Could it be something on the server that I need to change?
Aug 14 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


Scott Price
Expert 100+
P: 1,384
I have a DB in Access 2002 that when it is ran on a few users computers in the company, they get the error that the file sharing lock count has been exceeded and to increase the max locks per file in the registry.

I have had them both increase the max locks per file in their registry to well above the amount of records in the DB. Actually, I had them set it to the same as my computer as I have never recieved the error. I have also had them try typing in the VB code in the immediate widow, and having them make sure that only one person has the DB open at a time.

What gets me is that it doesn't happen all the time. Yesterday after walking the user through trying to set the max locks with VB code and it didnt' work, I had her compact and repair the database and it all of a sudden went away. Now it is happening again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried what microsoft suggested as a work around and they didn't fix it. Could it be a problem with different versions of Access? The user is running 2003 and I built the DB in 2002. Could it be something on the server that I need to change?

My first thought would be to narrow down the scope of the environment when the error occurs to see if there is a particular command or set of commands that precipitates the error.

Since a compact and repair made the problem 'disappear', I would guess you have some code in place that is either starting to corrupt a particular record or a particular table.

Now that it is reappearing, my suspicion is that you will need to go through the code with a fine tooth comb to find where it could be throwing the monkey wrench into the works. Pay particular attention to sections of code where the warnings have been turned off by the docmd.setwarnings false command.

Regards,
Scott
Aug 27 '07 #2

P: 88
Thanks Scott,

I ended up finding out that she never successfully had changed her max locks in her registry. I updated the entry and it is working now. I will keep what you said in mind though if the issue pops up again.

~ Franccesca

My first thought would be to narrow down the scope of the environment when the error occurs to see if there is a particular command or set of commands that precipitates the error.

Since a compact and repair made the problem 'disappear', I would guess you have some code in place that is either starting to corrupt a particular record or a particular table.

Now that it is reappearing, my suspicion is that you will need to go through the code with a fine tooth comb to find where it could be throwing the monkey wrench into the works. Pay particular attention to sections of code where the warnings have been turned off by the docmd.setwarnings false command.

Regards,
Scott
Sep 10 '07 #3

Scott Price
Expert 100+
P: 1,384
Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for posting back with what the problem was!

Regards,
Scott
Sep 10 '07 #4

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.