By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
464,828 Members | 1,017 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 464,828 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

MAPI and Access 97 / 2000. Help!

P: n/a
ARC
Ok, now I'm stuck!! I've been having blue screens a lot whenever I do any
serious development in Access 97. I don't get this in 2000, and am currently
migrating towards Access 2007. I found an ariticle on Microsoft's site
saying that if you have 2 versions of full MS Outlook on your machine, it
could cause instability. I had Outlook 97 and Outlook 2000 on my machine.

So, I uninstalled Outlook 97. Big mistake!! Now, in my other access 97 app
that I use to track customers and mass e-mail my customers (A-Ware 2000), it
will no longer let me e-mail. So I won't be able to e-mail my client base.
Whenever I do try to e-mail, it's asking me to choose a profile, my name or
MS Outlook. Looks like it's wanting me to choose a postoffice, and then
trying to use MS Mail (very old programs for MS Exchange). This is not good.
I thought I would simply do a windows restore, but my system restore is
shot! Every time I open windows system restore, it errors out and asks me to
send an error report. Reinstalling Outlook 97 doesn't help, and doesn't
restore the e-mailing functionality of my access 97 customer app. I even
tried converty my customer tracker to access 2000, then e-mailing, but it's
still asking me to choose a profile and set a postoffice!

Prior to uninstalling Outlook 97, it was a dream. I could e-mail my entire
customer base, and it would kick the messages out to Outlook Express, which
is what I want!

Help!

--
Andy
May 27 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply

P: n/a
ARC
Finally after a couple days of searching, I found the answer. The problem
was, when I removed Outlook 97, even though I had Outlook 2000 on my
machine, it broke the ability to send simple MAPI using Outlook Express. No
amount of uninstalling or reinstalling versions of Outlook was able to fix
using Outlook Express when doing a sendobject in Access.

In the end, I was able to completely uninstall Outlook 97, then install
Outlook 2000, and do the following:

(Full support article at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306098)
1) Re-register Outlook Express:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type the following line, including the quotation marks, where drive
is the letter of the drive in which Outlook Express is installed, and then
click OK:
"drive:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /reg

2) Add a registry key to Outlook express using the following steps from a
Microsoft article:

1. Start Registry Editor; click Start, click Run, and then type
regedit.
2. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express
3. In the left pane, click Outlook Express. Two values should be
displayed in the right pane: one is Default, which has a value of Outlook
Express, and the other is DLLPath, which contains the path to Msoe.dll on
your computer.
4. If the DLLPath value is not present, click Edit, point to New, and
then click String Value.
5. New Value #1 is displayed, with the text selected. Type DllPath,
and then press the ENTER key.
6. Double-click the new DLLPath value to open it. In the Value Data
box, type the path to the Msoe.dll file on your computer, for example:
drive:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSOE.DLL
7. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.
8. Try to send mail from a link or another program.
May 28 '07 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.