By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
464,821 Members | 1,109 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 464,821 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

attaching as winmail.dat??

P: n/a
ARC
(sorry for the re-post, but I thought I would put the winmail.dat where it's
visible in the subject...thanks!)

Hello all,

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. I have an Access 97
App, and I allow the user 2 options for e-mailing: MSMapi and MS Outlook
2000/XP. I have a user who is having trouble with the MS Outlook option. He
wanted to use this so he could attach quotes as a .pdf instead, which I have
built an automation for. The problem is, it is attaching the .pdf as
winmail.dat. I have tried recompiling an .mde for him, and re-referencing
the MSOUTL8.OLB file, but to no avail. I read one solution was to set your
full MS Outlook composing to plain text, but this didn't work for him. In
the even the library file was being overwritten by another app, I even made
an install .exe that just installed and registered the .olb file. Still no
luck.

What's strange is that this used to work fine for him...oh yes, and they are
running Outlook 2000, and Win XP.

Thanks!

May 23 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies

P: n/a
On Wed, 23 May 2007 15:50:45 GMT, "ARC" <an**@andyc.comwrote:

winmail.dat? That's a blast from the past. Early nineties this is
(iirc) how attachments were stored. I worked a bit on the source code
of msmail at the time.
I'm guessing there are some really screwy references on that machine.
I bet the user can't reproduce this on another machine. Unless it's
also running Windows for Workgroups :-)

-Tom.
>(sorry for the re-post, but I thought I would put the winmail.dat where it's
visible in the subject...thanks!)

Hello all,

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. I have an Access 97
App, and I allow the user 2 options for e-mailing: MSMapi and MS Outlook
2000/XP. I have a user who is having trouble with the MS Outlook option. He
wanted to use this so he could attach quotes as a .pdf instead, which I have
built an automation for. The problem is, it is attaching the .pdf as
winmail.dat. I have tried recompiling an .mde for him, and re-referencing
the MSOUTL8.OLB file, but to no avail. I read one solution was to set your
full MS Outlook composing to plain text, but this didn't work for him. In
the even the library file was being overwritten by another app, I even made
an install .exe that just installed and registered the .olb file. Still no
luck.

What's strange is that this used to work fine for him...oh yes, and they are
running Outlook 2000, and Win XP.

Thanks!

May 24 '07 #2

P: n/a
ARC
No, he's running XP...

My development machine has XP, and in my Access 97 project, i'm referencing
MSOUTL8.OLB. He's running Outlook 2000, and when he e-mails from my program,
if the user is using AOL, or Outlook express, they get the attachment as
winmail.dat. Now if he e-mails to an Outlook client, they get the actual
attachment, not winmail.dat.

Again, I have a reference to MSOUTL8, and I include that file in my runtime
..exe, and install it to \program files\access 97 runtime\.

Wonder if I should be installing it to the System32 folder instead? Hmmm...
"Tom van Stiphout" <no*************@cox.netwrote in message
news:oc********************************@4ax.com...
On Wed, 23 May 2007 15:50:45 GMT, "ARC" <an**@andyc.comwrote:

winmail.dat? That's a blast from the past. Early nineties this is
(iirc) how attachments were stored. I worked a bit on the source code
of msmail at the time.
I'm guessing there are some really screwy references on that machine.
I bet the user can't reproduce this on another machine. Unless it's
also running Windows for Workgroups :-)

-Tom.
>>(sorry for the re-post, but I thought I would put the winmail.dat where
it's
visible in the subject...thanks!)

Hello all,

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. I have an Access 97
App, and I allow the user 2 options for e-mailing: MSMapi and MS Outlook
2000/XP. I have a user who is having trouble with the MS Outlook option.
He
wanted to use this so he could attach quotes as a .pdf instead, which I
have
built an automation for. The problem is, it is attaching the .pdf as
winmail.dat. I have tried recompiling an .mde for him, and re-referencing
the MSOUTL8.OLB file, but to no avail. I read one solution was to set your
full MS Outlook composing to plain text, but this didn't work for him. In
the even the library file was being overwritten by another app, I even
made
an install .exe that just installed and registered the .olb file. Still no
luck.

What's strange is that this used to work fine for him...oh yes, and they
are
running Outlook 2000, and Win XP.

Thanks!


May 24 '07 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.