By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,061 Members | 1,563 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,061 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Concatenate problem?

P: 5
This has been driving me nuts for some time now. I have a table that has field names FirstName, LastName, MiddleIntial, AssumedFirst, AssumedMiddle,and AssumedLast. But it seems that whenever I concatenate anything with the LastName field or the AssumedFirst I will receive a #error. ANY other combinations will work just fine? I don't get what wrong with these two fields? I have checked there name against the table and everything looks fine. Here's my formula:

=[AssumedLast] & ", " & [AssumedFirst] & " " & [AssumedMiddle]
=[LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] & " " & [MiddleIntial]

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy, and I'm wasting so much time trying to understand why. I've even copied and pasted names with no luck. These are for reports.
May 15 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


JConsulting
Expert 100+
P: 603
This has been driving me nuts for some time now. I have a table that has field names FirstName, LastName, MiddleIntial, AssumedFirst, AssumedMiddle,and AssumedLast. But it seems that whenever I concatenate anything with the LastName field or the AssumedFirst I will receive a #error. ANY other combinations will work just fine? I don't get what wrong with these two fields? I have checked there name against the table and everything looks fine. Here's my formula:

=[AssumedLast] & ", " & [AssumedFirst] & " " & [AssumedMiddle]
=[LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] & " " & [MiddleIntial]

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy, and I'm wasting so much time trying to understand why. I've even copied and pasted names with no luck. These are for reports.
Where are you putting this...directly into your report? are you checking for null values anywhere?
J
May 15 '07 #2

P: 5
Where are you putting this...directly into your report? are you checking for null values anywhere?
J
Yes, it's a textbox control that i'm setting the controlsource to the function I supplied. I am not currently checking for null values but i'm currently using test data that has all fields completed. In the future all these fields will be require when the user is performing dataentry.

I have to say i'm stumped, i've never had this problem before.
May 15 '07 #3

JConsulting
Expert 100+
P: 603
Yes, it's a textbox control that i'm setting the controlsource to the function I supplied. I am not currently checking for null values but i'm currently using test data that has all fields completed. In the future all these fields will be require when the user is performing dataentry.

I have to say i'm stumped, i've never had this problem before.
a #error normally means that you've made reference to a control or field that doesn't exist. I assume that all of these fields (individually) exist on the report so it comes down to what they are named. Are you missing a space in the fieldnames, are they included in the recordset, etc...
Hard to say when we can't see it here...but that's what the error points to.

As a test, set the concatenated field = [assumedname] (whichever control it fails on) to see if it returns just that one.

J
May 15 '07 #4

P: 5
a #error normally means that you've made reference to a control or field that doesn't exist. I assume that all of these fields (individually) exist on the report so it comes down to what they are named. Are you missing a space in the fieldnames, are they included in the recordset, etc...
Hard to say when we can't see it here...but that's what the error points to.

As a test, set the concatenated field = [assumedname] (whichever control it fails on) to see if it returns just that one.

J
I understand that completely. What doesn't make sense is why is it just these two field names.. The only thing i can think of is that it's getting confused with another field? I even searched all table for ambiguity with no luck! Last i can use these same field names by themselfs with no problem. It's bugging me!
May 15 '07 #5

P: 5
I GOT IT! The textbox name defaulted to LastName and it was causeing it to confussing the field name of LastName. Once i changed the control name i was all set! Thanks for all your help. Sometime you just need to talk things out with someone!
May 15 '07 #6

JConsulting
Expert 100+
P: 603
I GOT IT! The textbox name defaulted to LastName and it was causeing it to confussing the field name of LastName. Once i changed the control name i was all set! Thanks for all your help. Sometime you just need to talk things out with someone!
Happy to help.
J
May 15 '07 #7

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.