By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,475 Members | 1,372 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,475 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

getting started with a simple database

P: n/a
I'm a physician and I need to keep track of the 10 procedures or so I
do every day. I want to build an access database and have started.
(Access 2003). I find the tutorials and help way beyond my level of
expertise and ability. If I could get about five questions answered,
I think I could get there. So...

I have a form with about 11 fields on it (name, hosp number,
procedure, etc). What I want is some sort of cascading list, for
example, under "procedure"-drop down list of vascular, non-vascular,
GI, GU. When I select vascular, another list that has arterial,
venous. When I select arterial, a list of lower extremity, upper
extremity, and so on. These lists will lock in the information to
specific values so when I need to recall my lower extremity angios, I
get them all and don't miss one labeled "arteriogram" instead of
"angiogram". Thanks for your help.

Mike

Feb 14 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
On Feb 14, 7:26 am, gmwe...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm a physician and I need to keep track of the 10 procedures or so I
do every day. I want to build an access database and have started.
(Access 2003). I find the tutorials and help way beyond my level of
expertise and ability. If I could get about five questions answered,
I think I could get there. So...

I have a form with about 11 fields on it (name, hosp number,
procedure, etc). What I want is some sort of cascading list, for
example, under "procedure"-drop down list of vascular, non-vascular,
GI, GU.
That's one table. The main lookup.

When I select vascular, another list that has arterial,
venous.
That's another table. Secondary lookup. Whatever you selected in the
first field, all the secondary information is stored on this level.
This table has a main key and a foreign key tied to each matching
value in the main table
When I select arterial, a list of lower extremity, upper
extremity, and so on.
That's another table. Tertiary lookup. Foreign key tied to secondary
lookup table.
These lists will lock in the information to
specific values so when I need to recall my lower extremity angios, I
get them all and don't miss one labeled "arteriogram" instead of
"angiogram". Thanks for your help.
It's like making an indentation. Right now you have one main table and
two subtables.
1.
1.2.
1.2.3
Hope that helps.
Christian

Feb 14 '07 #2

P: n/a
On Feb 14, 12:54 pm, christianlo...@yahoo.com wrote:
On Feb 14, 7:26 am, gmwe...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm a physician and I need to keep track of the 10 procedures or so I
do every day. I want to build an access database and have started.
(Access 2003). I find the tutorials and help way beyond my level of
expertise and ability. If I could get about five questions answered,
I think I could get there. So...
I have a form with about 11 fields on it (name, hosp number,
procedure, etc). What I want is some sort of cascading list, for
example, under "procedure"-drop down list of vascular, non-vascular,
GI, GU.

That's one table. The main lookup.
When I select vascular, another list that has arterial,
venous.

That's another table. Secondary lookup. Whatever you selected in the
first field, all the secondary information is stored on this level.
This table has a main key and a foreign key tied to each matching
value in the main table
When I select arterial, a list of lower extremity, upper
extremity, and so on.

That's another table. Tertiary lookup. Foreign key tied to secondary
lookup table.
These lists will lock in the information to
specific values so when I need to recall my lower extremity angios, I
get them all and don't miss one labeled "arteriogram" instead of
"angiogram". Thanks for your help.

It's like making an indentation. Right now you have one main table and
two subtables.
1.
1.2.
1.2.3

Hope that helps.

Christian
OK, thanks for the reply. Could you walk me through the steps a
little? Go to form, design view, then what? I have a "procedure
type" value list. How do I make the chosen value on that list pop up
another list to subdivide it?

Feb 14 '07 #3

P: n/a
On Feb 14, 2:48 pm, gmwe...@gmail.com wrote:
OK, thanks for the reply. Could you walk me through the steps a
little? Go to form, design view, then what? I have a "procedure
type" value list. How do I make the chosen value on that list pop up
another list to subdivide it?
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm

'User Form Basics'
Christian

Feb 14 '07 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.