By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,456 Members | 1,494 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,456 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Automatic Email linking

P: n/a
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me with this please. I have set up forms
on my database, one of the fields contains details of e-mail addresses. I am
trying to create a link so that when I click on a particular email address,
it automatically opens Outlook, creates a new message with that person's
email address already in the To: box. So far, with a simple macro, all I
have been able to do is get Otlook to open at my default page. Any idea how
I could do this please? I presume it will involve a lot of coding, I've done
very little of this, so please treat me as a dummy at this! Thanks

--
Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com

Jan 17 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
Tazzy via AccessMonster.com wrote:
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me with this please. I have set
up forms on my database, one of the fields contains details of e-mail
addresses. I am trying to create a link so that when I click on a
particular email address, it automatically opens Outlook, creates a
new message with that person's email address already in the To: box.
So far, with a simple macro, all I have been able to do is get Otlook
to open at my default page. Any idea how I could do this please? I
presume it will involve a lot of coding, I've done very little of
this, so please treat me as a dummy at this! Thanks
Exactly one line of code actually...

DoCmd.SendObject acSendNoObject, , , Me!FieldName

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Jan 17 '07 #2

P: n/a
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.......could you please tell me where and how I put the line
though; would it be editing the simple macro I already have set up? I went
through a type of macro wizard from the main Objects page,

Tazzy

Rick Brandt wrote:
>Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me with this please. I have set
up forms on my database, one of the fields contains details of e-mail
[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>presume it will involve a lot of coding, I've done very little of
this, so please treat me as a dummy at this! Thanks

Exactly one line of code actually...

DoCmd.SendObject acSendNoObject, , , Me!FieldName
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200701/1

Jan 17 '07 #3

P: n/a
Tazzy via AccessMonster.com wrote:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.......could you please tell me where and how I put
the line though; would it be editing the simple macro I already have
set up? I went through a type of macro wizard from the main Objects
page,
Sorry, I never use macros so I am not very familiar with them. In the
events tab of the property sheet where you cyurrently have the name of your
macro replace that with [Event Procedure] then press thge build button to
the right [...].

That will take open the VBA editor with the cursor pre-positioned where that
line of code needs to go.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Jan 17 '07 #4

P: n/a
Hi Rick,

Thanks for explaining that, I will know eher to start things off in future. :-
)

I entered the code in, and I figured that where it says MeField Name, then I
replace it with the field name from my form, i.e e-mail. I did this and
saved the event, but when I had saved the form, then clicked on the e-mail
address displayed, first it asked me to name a profile in Outlook (something
I never have had come up before), so I clicked on OK, Outlook opens, a new e-
mail message is brought up ( so far, so good) but all it displayed in the To:
box was 0.

I wouldn't have thought that I would need to enter the e-mail address into
the coding, so I'm not too sure where I've gone wrong. Could you please help
me any further?

Many Thanks,

Tazzy

Rick Brandt wrote:
>Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.......could you please tell me where and how I put
the line though; would it be editing the simple macro I already have
set up? I went through a type of macro wizard from the main Objects
page,

Sorry, I never use macros so I am not very familiar with them. In the
events tab of the property sheet where you cyurrently have the name of your
macro replace that with [Event Procedure] then press thge build button to
the right [...].

That will take open the VBA editor with the cursor pre-positioned where that
line of code needs to go.
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200701/1

Jan 18 '07 #5

P: n/a
Tazzy:

You should have replaced FieldName with the name of your email field,
and left the Me! in front of it.

That should do it!
Jana

Tazzy via AccessMonster.com wrote:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for explaining that, I will know eher to start things off in future. :-
)

I entered the code in, and I figured that where it says MeField Name, then I
replace it with the field name from my form, i.e e-mail. I did this and
saved the event, but when I had saved the form, then clicked on the e-mail
address displayed, first it asked me to name a profile in Outlook (something
I never have had come up before), so I clicked on OK, Outlook opens, a new e-
mail message is brought up ( so far, so good) but all it displayed in the To:
box was 0.

I wouldn't have thought that I would need to enter the e-mail address into
the coding, so I'm not too sure where I've gone wrong. Could you please help
me any further?

Many Thanks,

Tazzy

Rick Brandt wrote:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.......could you please tell me where and how I put
the line though; would it be editing the simple macro I already have
set up? I went through a type of macro wizard from the main Objects
page,
Sorry, I never use macros so I am not very familiar with them. In the
events tab of the property sheet where you cyurrently have the name of your
macro replace that with [Event Procedure] then press thge build button to
the right [...].

That will take open the VBA editor with the cursor pre-positioned where that
line of code needs to go.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200701/1
Jan 18 '07 #6

P: n/a
Hi Jana,

Yippee - it works, thank you so much to you both for your help. Sorry for
the late reply, high winds here sent the power cables down for 10 hours!

Tazzy

Jana wrote:
>Tazzy:

You should have replaced FieldName with the name of your email field,
and left the Me! in front of it.

That should do it!
Jana
>Hi Rick,
[quoted text clipped - 35 lines]
>Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200701/1
--
Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com

Jan 18 '07 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.