By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
444,027 Members | 1,273 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 444,027 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Ms Access 2003 Project (.adp) database connection

P: n/a
Hi everybody,

I wanted to start an application using the MS Access 2003 Project, but
as I create an .adp file it asks me to connect to a SQL Server. But I
needed to create the dabase directly inside the adp project. Is that
possible? If so, what's the procedure to create it?

Thank you for your help.

Jan 4 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
ga***********@libero.it wrote:
I wanted to start an application using the MS Access 2003 Project, but
as I create an .adp file it asks me to connect to a SQL Server. But I
needed to create the dabase directly inside the adp project. Is that
possible?
Probably not in the way you describe. Access is not a database
engine/server. It must use something else for those services.
Typically an ADP uses a MS-SQL Server connected via ADO (although many
of the connections and their charactertistics are arcane). This Server
is entirely independent and separate from Access.
An MDB uses JET which also hosts the Access application but it can link
to many technologies through ODBC also.
The AccDB of 2007 uses ACE which seems to be a very minimally modified
JET with (not always) a new spelling.

I'm trying to envision an ADP without MS-SQL server but so far the
screen is just Snow and the sound intermittent scraps of "Fools Walk
In, Where Wisemen Never Go". Then again there may be other Wisemen.

Jan 4 '07 #2

P: n/a
On 4 Jan 2007 00:45:50 -0800, ga***********@libero.it wrote:

Not possible.
You first need to install SQL Server, e.g. using a free download of
the Express Edition.
Once installed, you can use SQL Server tools or indeed MsAccess to
create a new database, and access it from your application.

-Tom.

>Hi everybody,

I wanted to start an application using the MS Access 2003 Project, but
as I create an .adp file it asks me to connect to a SQL Server. But I
needed to create the dabase directly inside the adp project. Is that
possible? If so, what's the procedure to create it?

Thank you for your help.
Jan 4 '07 #3

P: n/a
Thanks a lot guys, I found what I wanted using a workgroup file. In
that way I can manage users access and still using tables inside the
mdb file.

Thanks a lot anyways!!

Cheers
Tom van Stiphout ha scritto:
On 4 Jan 2007 00:45:50 -0800, ga***********@libero.it wrote:

Not possible.
You first need to install SQL Server, e.g. using a free download of
the Express Edition.
Once installed, you can use SQL Server tools or indeed MsAccess to
create a new database, and access it from your application.

-Tom.

Hi everybody,

I wanted to start an application using the MS Access 2003 Project, but
as I create an .adp file it asks me to connect to a SQL Server. But I
needed to create the dabase directly inside the adp project. Is that
possible? If so, what's the procedure to create it?

Thank you for your help.
Jan 5 '07 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.