By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,462 Members | 2,308 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,462 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Letting a user know they dont have access to a subform?

P: n/a
I have a form, with a subform that changes AllowsEdits,AllowAdditions,
etc depending on who is coming in. This is done by using the OpenArgs
and is working fine.

However, if the user is restricted (meaning no additions, deletions,
etc) they can still click on a combobox, just nothing happens.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1) Using enabled=false is not an option because the user doesnt like
the ghosted look.
2) We need to keep the subform visible, because it acts as a reference
for the user.

Is there any way that if a control on a subform is clicked and the form
has AllowEditions, AllowAdditions set to False, that it says "You dont
have access to this form?"

Thanks,
Brian

Dec 18 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
On 17 Dec 2006 20:19:10 -0800, "BerkshireGuy"
<be*************************@yahoo.comwrote:
>I have a form, with a subform that changes AllowsEdits,AllowAdditions,
etc depending on who is coming in. This is done by using the OpenArgs
and is working fine.

However, if the user is restricted (meaning no additions, deletions,
etc) they can still click on a combobox, just nothing happens.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1) Using enabled=false is not an option because the user doesnt like
the ghosted look.
2) We need to keep the subform visible, because it acts as a reference
for the user.
Disable the subform control itself (in the main form) rather than trying to
disable controls within the subform.
They won't be able to click in the subform but it won't appear greyed out
(ghosted look).

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia
Dec 18 '06 #2

P: n/a
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:54:22 GMT, Wayne Gillespie <be*****@NOhotmailSPAM.com.au>
wrote:
>On 17 Dec 2006 20:19:10 -0800, "BerkshireGuy"
<be*************************@yahoo.comwrote:
>>I have a form, with a subform that changes AllowsEdits,AllowAdditions,
etc depending on who is coming in. This is done by using the OpenArgs
and is working fine.

However, if the user is restricted (meaning no additions, deletions,
etc) they can still click on a combobox, just nothing happens.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1) Using enabled=false is not an option because the user doesnt like
the ghosted look.
2) We need to keep the subform visible, because it acts as a reference
for the user.

Disable the subform control itself (in the main form) rather than trying to
disable controls within the subform.
They won't be able to click in the subform but it won't appear greyed out
(ghosted look).
Me.frmNameOfSubform.Enabled = Me.AllowEdits

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia
Dec 18 '06 #3

P: n/a
Can I do a msgbox box if they do click in the form just letting them
know its locked down?

Wayne Gillespie wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:54:22 GMT, Wayne Gillespie <be*****@NOhotmailSPAM.com.au>
wrote:
On 17 Dec 2006 20:19:10 -0800, "BerkshireGuy"
<be*************************@yahoo.comwrote:
>I have a form, with a subform that changes AllowsEdits,AllowAdditions,
etc depending on who is coming in. This is done by using the OpenArgs
and is working fine.

However, if the user is restricted (meaning no additions, deletions,
etc) they can still click on a combobox, just nothing happens.

A couple of additional thoughts:

1) Using enabled=false is not an option because the user doesnt like
the ghosted look.
2) We need to keep the subform visible, because it acts as a reference
for the user.
Disable the subform control itself (in the main form) rather than trying to
disable controls within the subform.
They won't be able to click in the subform but it won't appear greyed out
(ghosted look).

Me.frmNameOfSubform.Enabled = Me.AllowEdits

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia
Dec 18 '06 #4

P: n/a
"BerkshireGuy" <be*************************@yahoo.comwrote in
news:11**********************@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com:
1) Using enabled=false is not an option because the user
doesnt like the ghosted look.
Just because some luser doesn't like the look is no reason to
violate Windows User Interface Default Behaviour. And It's
behaviour that's across the Windows operating system and the
great majority of applications. Tell the luser to go argue with
Bill Gates.

And what about this luser's employees? (you imply that there are
suers who have different access rights). Tell him that it'll
cost extra in learning time for every new employee who has to
deal with learning this non-standard user interface. They
usually back off pretty quickly that this sort of nonsense
affects the bottom line.
Is there any way that if a control on a subform is clicked and
the form has AllowEditions, AllowAdditions set to False, that
it says "You dont have access to this form?"
If you can't get a change of mind, set the .locked property for
the subform control to yes, then use the form's OnMouseMove
event to test if the mouse is over the subform and pop up a
message saying that the form is locked.

The mousemove event supplies mouse position properties, that can
be checked against the subform's top, left, top+height and
left+width values to determine if the message should appear.
--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Dec 19 '06 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.