469,623 Members | 1,683 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,623 developers. It's quick & easy.

HELP: Memo datatype in coding causes error when running a query

Hi,
I'm currently using MS Access 2000 to keep all my actors measurements, resumes and personal details on a database.

To upload their details onto our website, I have built an event so when I run the query, only certain data is selected and exported onto a separate database that I can easily upload onto our ftp server.

It has been working fine for all year until the past few weeks I have run into some problems.
Initially when I pushed the button to run the query, an error box popped up and I have the choice to end or debug.
When I choose debug, some of the coding appears with a few lines highlighted. Since playing around with it trying to fix it, this has stopped happening and instead an 'error, MS Access must close' box is appearing instead. I can't remember what the number of the initial error report was.

Through trial and error, I have discovered that this error only occurs when 'memo' datatypes are in the code.
The Text, Yes/No, Date, Number datatypes in the coding don't cause any problems at all and so when I exclude the memo datatypes, the query works fine.

I have double checked the 'memo' datatypes on my form to make sure their names and control sources haven't changed for any reason and they appear to be fine as well.

Does anyone have any idea why the memo datatypes are causing an error to occur?

Any help would be really appreciated as I am very illiterate when it comes to MS Access.

Cheers

Julie.
Nov 7 '06 #1
3 1839
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
This would depend on your code.

Can you copy and paste the code into a post so we can have a look at it.


Hi,
I'm currently using MS Access 2000 to keep all my actors measurements, resumes and personal details on a database.

To upload their details onto our website, I have built an event so when I run the query, only certain data is selected and exported onto a separate database that I can easily upload onto our ftp server.

It has been working fine for all year until the past few weeks I have run into some problems.
Initially when I pushed the button to run the query, an error box popped up and I have the choice to end or debug.
When I choose debug, some of the coding appears with a few lines highlighted. Since playing around with it trying to fix it, this has stopped happening and instead an 'error, MS Access must close' box is appearing instead. I can't remember what the number of the initial error report was.

Through trial and error, I have discovered that this error only occurs when 'memo' datatypes are in the code.
The Text, Yes/No, Date, Number datatypes in the coding don't cause any problems at all and so when I exclude the memo datatypes, the query works fine.

I have double checked the 'memo' datatypes on my form to make sure their names and control sources haven't changed for any reason and they appear to be fine as well.

Does anyone have any idea why the memo datatypes are causing an error to occur?

Any help would be really appreciated as I am very illiterate when it comes to MS Access.

Cheers

Julie.
Nov 7 '06 #2
I have made a new discovery which may be contributing to my database problem.



It is a very strange entry that I didn't enter in there.
Normally, I can easily alter or delete a person's entry off that table. If i try to do that with this entry, I either get a pop up box saying:
"the jet databse stopped working cause another using is using....", or else the database errors and closes down.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but do i have a hacker?

The code shouldn't be a problem because it has worked fine all year until the past 2 weeks (which is when this entry probably appeared).

I have tried to copy/cut out all of my normal entries except for that strange one so i can copy them into a new database and it won't let me - same error problem occurs.

I don't know what else i can do?!?
Nov 7 '06 #3
MMcCarthy
14,534 Expert Mod 8TB
This looks like corruption. It can happen when database is closed using close button on window rather than exiting the database correctly.

Create a new table and append all the records excluding the corrupted record and see if that solves your problem. Once you have done this I would recommend running a compact and repair. Take a copy of your database first.
Nov 7 '06 #4

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

reply views Thread by abcd | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by Dom Boyce | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by hope | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Kevin | last post: by
reply views Thread by devrayhaan | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.