By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,948 Members | 852 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,948 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Date Field Masks

P: n/a
Hi,

I am trying to develop a database that will store dates in the format -
21.02.2006 rather than the standard 21/02/2006.

This is because of the SAP feeds that i am pulling in - since SAP
stores dates as dd.mm.yyyy

I would just store the dates as text but this makes processing the data
much harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

Andrew Paton

Oct 24 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a

an****@playdar.co.uk wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to develop a database that will store dates in the format -
21.02.2006 rather than the standard 21/02/2006.

This is because of the SAP feeds that i am pulling in - since SAP
stores dates as dd.mm.yyyy

I would just store the dates as text but this makes processing the data
much harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

Andrew Paton
You can use a custom format for the dates.

SELECT tblTableName.FldDates, Format([FldDates],"dd\.mm\.yyyy") AS
NewDate
FROM tblTableName;

Oct 24 '06 #2

P: n/a
Ok,

Its not the displaying that was the problem - it was mainly the problem
of inputting the data - see all of our staff use SAP on a regular basis
so it is second nature to type the date in the format dd.mm.yyyy -
whereas it will be stored in the database int the format dd/mm/yyyy - i
cant get an input mask to give me the right result! Any ideas?
Tanis wrote:
an****@playdar.co.uk wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to develop a database that will store dates in the format -
21.02.2006 rather than the standard 21/02/2006.

This is because of the SAP feeds that i am pulling in - since SAP
stores dates as dd.mm.yyyy

I would just store the dates as text but this makes processing the data
much harder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

Andrew Paton
You can use a custom format for the dates.

SELECT tblTableName.FldDates, Format([FldDates],"dd\.mm\.yyyy") AS
NewDate
FROM tblTableName;
Oct 24 '06 #3

P: n/a

Patonar wrote:
Ok,

Its not the displaying that was the problem - it was mainly the problem
of inputting the data - see all of our staff use SAP on a regular basis
so it is second nature to type the date in the format dd.mm.yyyy -
whereas it will be stored in the database int the format dd/mm/yyyy - i
cant get an input mask to give me the right result! Any ideas?
Tanis wrote:
an****@playdar.co.uk wrote:
Hi,
>
I am trying to develop a database that will store dates in the format -
21.02.2006 rather than the standard 21/02/2006.
>
This is because of the SAP feeds that i am pulling in - since SAP
stores dates as dd.mm.yyyy
>
I would just store the dates as text but this makes processing the data
much harder.
>
Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
Regards
>
Andrew Paton
You can use a custom format for the dates.

SELECT tblTableName.FldDates, Format([FldDates],"dd\.mm\.yyyy") AS
NewDate
FROM tblTableName;
If you are not bothered by the format, I would stick having an input
mask for short date. The users won't know any difference when inputting
as the input mask takes care of the placeholder. Change the format of
the field to Short Date and select Short Date as the input mask. You
can try to create your own input mask, but I have not been successful.

Oct 25 '06 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.