By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,453 Members | 956 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,453 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Auditing db to see what is unused

P: n/a
Hello,

I've been charged with maintaining and updating an Access db that was
created by a non-programmer who basically pulled pieces out of a
similar project willy-nilly in order to get something up-and-running;
there are modules, forms, tables, and macros that I cannot find any
reference to (they seem to be orphans).

Does anyone have code to iterate through the project looking for orphan
objects, or recommendations on how to locate them without having to
check the datasource of each control on every form, relationship
between forms, function calls, etc..? That would be a monumental task,
and I have been instructed to not begin from scratch.

Thank you kindly,

Robert Waters

Sep 23 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
On 23 Sep 2006 14:31:52 -0700, ro***********@gmail.com wrote:

FMS Inc has such a program, if I'm not mistaken it's Total Access
Detective.

-Tom.
>Hello,

I've been charged with maintaining and updating an Access db that was
created by a non-programmer who basically pulled pieces out of a
similar project willy-nilly in order to get something up-and-running;
there are modules, forms, tables, and macros that I cannot find any
reference to (they seem to be orphans).

Does anyone have code to iterate through the project looking for orphan
objects, or recommendations on how to locate them without having to
check the datasource of each control on every form, relationship
between forms, function calls, etc..? That would be a monumental task,
and I have been instructed to not begin from scratch.

Thank you kindly,

Robert Waters
Sep 23 '06 #2

P: n/a

Tom van Stiphout wrote:
On 23 Sep 2006 14:31:52 -0700, ro***********@gmail.com wrote:

FMS Inc has such a program, if I'm not mistaken it's Total Access
Detective.

-Tom.
Thank you very much, Tom. I am guessing there wouldn't be anything
open source/freeware for this.

Sep 23 '06 #3

P: n/a
On 23 Sep 2006 15:13:35 -0700, ro***********@gmail.com wrote:
>
Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>On 23 Sep 2006 14:31:52 -0700, ro***********@gmail.com wrote:

FMS Inc has such a program, if I'm not mistaken it's Total Access
Detective.

-Tom.

Thank you very much, Tom. I am guessing there wouldn't be anything
open source/freeware for this.
A registered version of Find & Replace (www.rickworld.com) will do it. (The free
version has this feature disabled)
It is not free, but very cheap. ($20US from memory)

Wayne Gillespie
Gosford NSW Australia
Sep 23 '06 #4

P: n/a
If you suspect some objects to be orphaned, you can change their names (make
sure name autocorrect is turned off, which is always a good idea.) to
something like frmCustomersDelete, then run the app and see if anything
complains. Depending on the complexity of your app, it may take a while to
make sure you hit everything, though, so this is kind of a crude method.
Another commercial product is Speed Ferret by Black Moshannon Systems, which
can search your entire database (code, properties, everything) for some
string and also do global replaces. It works really well. I think the
program Tom was thinking of is actually Total Access Analyzer, which I
haven't used.

<ro***********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>
Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>On 23 Sep 2006 14:31:52 -0700, ro***********@gmail.com wrote:

FMS Inc has such a program, if I'm not mistaken it's Total Access
Detective.

-Tom.

Thank you very much, Tom. I am guessing there wouldn't be anything
open source/freeware for this.

Sep 23 '06 #5

P: n/a
If you're really stuck, I have a db wich analyses such things as what tables
are used in queries, what the queries are used for, where subforms are used
etc.
Let me know if it would be of any help

Phil

<ro***********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11*********************@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com...
Hello,

I've been charged with maintaining and updating an Access db that was
created by a non-programmer who basically pulled pieces out of a
similar project willy-nilly in order to get something up-and-running;
there are modules, forms, tables, and macros that I cannot find any
reference to (they seem to be orphans).

Does anyone have code to iterate through the project looking for orphan
objects, or recommendations on how to locate them without having to
check the datasource of each control on every form, relationship
between forms, function calls, etc..? That would be a monumental task,
and I have been instructed to not begin from scratch.

Thank you kindly,

Robert Waters

Sep 25 '06 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.