By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,493 Members | 1,214 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,493 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

address fields

P: n/a
Could somebody please help with formatting the address field to show
initial capital letters eg:- Broad Lane, when broad lane is typed.
I would think that this has been asked many times before but as being
new to this and looking through the last posts, I cannot find the answer to
my question.
Thanking you in advance
David Davies
Huddersfield
England
Jul 24 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:02:50 GMT, DAVID DAVIES wrote:
Could somebody please help with formatting the address field to show
initial capital letters eg:- Broad Lane, when broad lane is typed.
I would think that this has been asked many times before but as being
new to this and looking through the last posts, I cannot find the answer to
my question.
Thanking you in advance
David Davies
Huddersfield
England
Use an unbound text control.
Set it's control source to:

=StrConv([AddressFieldName],3)

Note: this will not correctly capitalize street names that should have
more than one capital letter, i.e. McDonald Blvd., as well as those
names which should not be capitalized at all, i.e. van Houten Place.

It would be best to create and use a lookup table so that when the
address is entered by the user, the user can be asked to OK, or Not OK
any variant spelling.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
Jul 24 '06 #2

P: n/a
You can also use the format section under properties to specify caps.
If you have a book it'll make life easy or just hit F1 and it'll give
you the syntax after some digging.
fredg wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:02:50 GMT, DAVID DAVIES wrote:
Could somebody please help with formatting the address field to show
initial capital letters eg:- Broad Lane, when broad lane is typed.
I would think that this has been asked many times before but as being
new to this and looking through the last posts, I cannot find the answer to
my question.
Thanking you in advance
David Davies
Huddersfield
England

Use an unbound text control.
Set it's control source to:

=StrConv([AddressFieldName],3)

Note: this will not correctly capitalize street names that should have
more than one capital letter, i.e. McDonald Blvd., as well as those
names which should not be capitalized at all, i.e. van Houten Place.

It would be best to create and use a lookup table so that when the
address is entered by the user, the user can be asked to OK, or Not OK
any variant spelling.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
Jul 24 '06 #3

P: n/a
fredg,
That sounds perfect for me and thanks but where do I set the control
source. I have looked through all the table properties and cannot find it.
David
Jul 24 '06 #4

P: n/a
DAVID DAVIES wrote:
Could somebody please help with formatting the address field to show
initial capital letters eg:- Broad Lane, when broad lane is typed.
I would think that this has been asked many times before but as being
new to this and looking through the last posts, I cannot find the answer to
my question.
Show the User the Shift Bar?

Jul 24 '06 #5

P: n/a
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:18:33 GMT, DAVID DAVIES wrote:
fredg,
That sounds perfect for me and thanks but where do I set the control
source. I have looked through all the table properties and cannot find it.
David
This is for data already entered into your database.
Add an unbound text control to the report (from the Toolbox).
Right-click on it and select Properties.
Click on the Data tab.
The control source is the first property on that tab.
Write:
=StrConv([AddressFieldName],3)
on that line.
Change [AddressFieldName] to whatever the actual field name is.

--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal e-mail
Jul 25 '06 #6

P: n/a
Thankyou Fred,
That has partly answered my query and been very helpful.
The database I am trying to sort out contains over 300000 entries and
has become quite messy. Is there a format or input code for the actual field
in the table that will have the same effect ?.
David
Jul 25 '06 #7

P: n/a

"DAVID DAVIES" wrote
The database I am trying to sort out
contains over 300000 entries and
has become quite messy. Is there a format
or input code for the actual field
in the table that will have the same effect ?.
You can use that function in an Update Query to change all Records in the
Table.

Larry Linson
Jul 25 '06 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.