By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,061 Members | 1,523 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,061 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Partial "Replace" of a record

P: 1
I record where equipment is stored by using a text field. There is also a Building/Room table. A certain building has changed prefixes. Is there any way to accomplish a partial "replace" so that L-418 becomes EC-418? (MS Access2000)
Jul 11 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply

P: 28
An update query should do this

1. create a select query that displays the table
2. with the query grid displayed -change the query type to Update Query (on the toolbar)
3. A new row called Update To: appears
4. Find the column (field) that contains the information you want to change
5. In the Update To: box for that field try the following

"EC" & Right([FieldNameWhereRoomNumberIsCurrently],4)

Note : Field Name where Room Number is Currently is the same as the column name - it has to be inside the square brackets

What this update does is take the last 4 characters of whatever is in the field (-418) and puts an EC in front of it
Result = EC-418
If you need more help write again
Jul 14 '06 #2

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.