By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
429,087 Members | 1,513 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 429,087 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Access mde files

P: n/a
Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority of
applications using Access 97.

If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and even
better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.

Regards

Peter
Jun 17 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
21 Replies


P: n/a
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote
While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone
know the offending files and even better, how
to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on
a Win98 PC until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.


I don't know what causes the problem, but you seem to have the answer.
Jun 17 '06 #2

P: n/a
Hi, Peter.
However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
There are probably thousands of situations that can come under the heading
of "the application doesn't run correctly." Do you want us to begin at the
top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the rate of one
per post to start narrowing down the problem, or would you prefer to hurry
things up a bit by describing how the application isn't meeting your
expectations, listing any error codes and descriptions the Windows 98
computers are showing, and listing which service packs have been applied for
Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be the same on all
computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au... Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority
of
applications using Access 97.

If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and
even
better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.

Regards

Peter

Jun 18 '06 #3

P: n/a
Thanks for the attitude.

If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to your own web
site and don't waste the time of others.

Peter


"'69 Camaro" <Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote in
message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
Hi, Peter.
However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
There are probably thousands of situations that can come under the heading
of "the application doesn't run correctly." Do you want us to begin at

the top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the rate of one
per post to start narrowing down the problem, or would you prefer to hurry
things up a bit by describing how the application isn't meeting your
expectations, listing any error codes and descriptions the Windows 98
computers are showing, and listing which service packs have been applied for Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be the same on all
computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority of
applications using Access 97.

If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and
even
better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.

Regards

Peter


Jun 18 '06 #4

P: n/a
Thanks Larry

Was hoping for a "quick" solution but as you say, I at least have a
solution.

Regards

Peter

"Larry Linson" <bo*****@localhost.not> wrote in message
news:Dw%kg.6958$1G2.5007@trnddc06...
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote
> While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone
> know the offending files and even better, how
> to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on
> a Win98 PC until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.


I don't know what causes the problem, but you seem to have the answer.

Jun 18 '06 #5

P: n/a

It sounds like a binding issue. The lower version you compile with is
simply upgraded when run on the newer OS version, but the newer version
can't be downgraded since the older version has no concept of what to
downgrade to. I had an issue recently at a client - I had two (2)
PC's, one with Office 2000 and one with Office 2003 - and ran into a
similar issue. The reference libraries were different for the
versions. The problem was solved by using late binding for the
objects.

Instead of declaring an Excel worksheet, one would have to DIM and
object, then later in the code set the object to an Excel worksheet.
Early binding runs faster but creates problems when you have a mixed
environment. I had to change every reference in the code to use late
binding, and it solved the problem. It will also make the application
future-proof, regarding OS, and Office upgrades.

Regards,

James Igoe

646.303.2584 || ja********@gmail.com ||
http://code.comparative-advantage.com

Resume: http://code.comparative-advantage.co...ad_resume.php?
Bigpond News wrote:
Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority of
applications using Access 97.

If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and even
better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.

Regards

Peter


Jun 18 '06 #6

P: n/a
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:dH******************@news-server.bigpond.net.au:
Thanks for the attitude.

If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to
your own web site and don't waste the time of others.

Peter
Peter, the @$$ with the arrogance is whoever posted some vague
generality about "the application doesn't run correctly on Win98
PC's" and expects help. You should apologise to mr Camaro.

If you don't know enough about the problem to describe symptoms
accurately, you are wasting every reader of the newsgroup's
time.

I'm running Access '97 applications (.mdb and .mde) across a
site with Win 98, NT, ME and XP boxes.

I have no knowledge of "the application doesn't run correctly on
Win98 PC's"

..
"'69 Camaro"
<Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote in
message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
Hi, Peter.
> However, if I compile on a WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.


There are probably thousands of situations that can come
under the heading of "the application doesn't run correctly."
Do you want us to begin at

the
top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the
rate of one per post to start narrowing down the problem, or
would you prefer to hurry things up a bit by describing how
the application isn't meeting your expectations, listing any
error codes and descriptions the Windows 98 computers are
showing, and listing which service packs have been applied

for
Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be
the same on all computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips
and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html
for contact info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 &
> WinXP. Majority > of
> applications using Access 97.
>
> If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde
> will run perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However,
> if I compile on a WinXP > PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>
> While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the
> offending files and even
> better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile
> on a Win98 PC until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
>




--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 18 '06 #7

P: n/a
Bigpond News wrote:
If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to your own web
site and don't waste the time of others.
Peter


Gunny writes a lot of very good stuff here. Many times I agree with
him. This is one of them.

Jun 18 '06 #8

P: n/a
Hello, Peter Henderson.
Thanks for the attitude.
If you think that the analogy in my reply of going through the list of
thousands of complaints about Access -- like the list of thousands of
complaints you might possibly have, but you've kept secret as to which
ones -- constitutes an attitude, then that's your prerogative. I and many
others volunteer our time to help those who ask for help, but our time is a
limited resource, and by posting a question with a vague description of your
problem, you're less likely to get helpful responses from us to solve this
problem, one that you still haven't solved yourself in more than two years:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....192e676?hl=en&

The last time you posted a similar question, you received zero responses,
most likely because it, too, was a vague question. Your problem is not
uncommon, and there are a number of experts who have experience with MDE's
on multiple OS's. Any of them could have replied to your post two years
ago, yet none took the time. That should tell you something. Please see
the following Web page:

http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm

Pay particular attention to items 7, 8, and 10 in the "Asking questions the
right way" section.
If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance
I and the others have plenty to say that may assist you, but without your
revealing details of what is happening and listing the service pack levels
installed on your workstations, the best I can offer is to suggest that you
ensure that all workstations have the same service packs installed, because
different service packs result in different sets of behaviors. At this
point, anything else I or others might suggest is just speculation as to
what your problem is. Perhaps you'll rectify this by providing additional
information about what's going wrong.
stick to your own web
site
Perhaps this was intended as an insult. If so, you missed the mark, because
it signifies that you noticed a Web site of Access tips and tutorials, which
is the intent of that Web site. I can only respond with "Thank you for
noticing our work." ;-)
and don't waste the time of others.
I know you think that I'm wasting _your_ time, but likely thousands of
people have already read your two posted questions, yet we haven't helped
you solve your problem in two years, because you're keeping a secret of what
the problem actually is. You've described an effect of the problem, "the
application doesn't run correctly" when compiled on a Windows XP
workstation, but we can't help you eliminate the causes unless you reveal
the symptoms. If this thread doesn't eventually provide a solution, then
the efforts exerted to post in and read these two threads were pretty much a
waste of time. So it's up to you to get the ball rolling, and we'll take it
from there.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:dH******************@news-server.bigpond.net.au... Thanks for the attitude.

If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to your own
web
site and don't waste the time of others.

Peter


"'69 Camaro" <Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote
in
message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
Hi, Peter.
> However, if I compile on a WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.


There are probably thousands of situations that can come under the
heading
of "the application doesn't run correctly." Do you want us to begin at

the
top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the rate of one
per post to start narrowing down the problem, or would you prefer to
hurry
things up a bit by describing how the application isn't meeting your
expectations, listing any error codes and descriptions the Windows 98
computers are showing, and listing which service packs have been applied

for
Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be the same on
all
computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority > of
> applications using Access 97.
>
> If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
> perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP > PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>
> While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and
> even
> better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
> until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
>



Jun 19 '06 #9

P: n/a

If you don't like his manner of presenting, don't respond to his
question.

You don't have to be here, and some don't mind dealing with questions
that are a tad ambiguous, and they can respond.
Regards,

James Igoe

ja********@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com

'69 Camaro wrote:
Hello, Peter Henderson.
Thanks for the attitude.


If you think that the analogy in my reply of going through the list of
thousands of complaints about Access -- like the list of thousands of
complaints you might possibly have, but you've kept secret as to which
ones -- constitutes an attitude, then that's your prerogative. I and many
others volunteer our time to help those who ask for help, but our time is a
limited resource, and by posting a question with a vague description of your
problem, you're less likely to get helpful responses from us to solve this
problem, one that you still haven't solved yourself in more than two years:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....192e676?hl=en&

The last time you posted a similar question, you received zero responses,
most likely because it, too, was a vague question. Your problem is not
uncommon, and there are a number of experts who have experience with MDE's
on multiple OS's. Any of them could have replied to your post two years
ago, yet none took the time. That should tell you something. Please see
the following Web page:

http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm

Pay particular attention to items 7, 8, and 10 in the "Asking questions the
right way" section.
If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance


I and the others have plenty to say that may assist you, but without your
revealing details of what is happening and listing the service pack levels
installed on your workstations, the best I can offer is to suggest that you
ensure that all workstations have the same service packs installed, because
different service packs result in different sets of behaviors. At this
point, anything else I or others might suggest is just speculation as to
what your problem is. Perhaps you'll rectify this by providing additional
information about what's going wrong.
stick to your own web
site


Perhaps this was intended as an insult. If so, you missed the mark, because
it signifies that you noticed a Web site of Access tips and tutorials, which
is the intent of that Web site. I can only respond with "Thank you for
noticing our work." ;-)
and don't waste the time of others.


I know you think that I'm wasting _your_ time, but likely thousands of
people have already read your two posted questions, yet we haven't helped
you solve your problem in two years, because you're keeping a secret of what
the problem actually is. You've described an effect of the problem, "the
application doesn't run correctly" when compiled on a Windows XP
workstation, but we can't help you eliminate the causes unless you reveal
the symptoms. If this thread doesn't eventually provide a solution, then
the efforts exerted to post in and read these two threads were pretty much a
waste of time. So it's up to you to get the ball rolling, and we'll take it
from there.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:dH******************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
Thanks for the attitude.

If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to your own
web
site and don't waste the time of others.

Peter


"'69 Camaro" <Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote
in
message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
Hi, Peter.

> However, if I compile on a WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

There are probably thousands of situations that can come under the
heading
of "the application doesn't run correctly." Do you want us to begin at

the
top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the rate of one
per post to start narrowing down the problem, or would you prefer to
hurry
things up a bit by describing how the application isn't meeting your
expectations, listing any error codes and descriptions the Windows 98
computers are showing, and listing which service packs have been applied

for
Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be the same on
all
computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP.

Majority
> of
> applications using Access 97.
>
> If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
> perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a

WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>
> While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and
> even
> better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
> until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
>



Jun 19 '06 #10

P: n/a
ja********@gmail.com wrote:
some don't mind dealing with questions
that are a tad ambiguous, and they can respond.


GIGO!

Jun 19 '06 #11

P: n/a
Hi, James.
If you don't like his manner of presenting, don't respond to his
question.
Don't put words into my mouth. I never stated my preference in this thread
for what I like or dislike. In order to elicit more information from him, I
told Peter his secretiveness is not likely to gain him helpful responses to
help him solve his problem quickly, and I offered him the published
guidelines for posting questions in this newsgroup that are likely to get
helpful responses. I responded to his question because I or others may have
experienced his same problem and may be able to help, but we can't make that
determination and offer suggestions until he actually reveals what the
problem is.
You don't have to be here
Nor do you, unless you're here to give people a hard time so that you can
earn votes to get on the International Troll team.
some don't mind dealing with questions
that are a tad ambiguous, and they can respond.
His question is far more than a "tad ambiguous." The myriad problems that
may be encountered with an MDE created on a Windows XP computer that happens
to be running on a Windows 98 computer are so numerous and have so many
different causes that it's speculation to guess which problem Peter is
experiencing. If you want to respond before finding out whether or not your
guess is "hot" or "cold," then that's up to you, but most people who aren't
good mind readers find that they're often spinning their wheels when they
take that approach to vague questions, and would rather use their time more
effectively.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
<ja********@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
If you don't like his manner of presenting, don't respond to his
question.

You don't have to be here, and some don't mind dealing with questions
that are a tad ambiguous, and they can respond.
Regards,

James Igoe

ja********@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com

'69 Camaro wrote:
Hello, Peter Henderson.
> Thanks for the attitude.


If you think that the analogy in my reply of going through the list of
thousands of complaints about Access -- like the list of thousands of
complaints you might possibly have, but you've kept secret as to which
ones -- constitutes an attitude, then that's your prerogative. I and
many
others volunteer our time to help those who ask for help, but our time is
a
limited resource, and by posting a question with a vague description of
your
problem, you're less likely to get helpful responses from us to solve
this
problem, one that you still haven't solved yourself in more than two
years:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....192e676?hl=en&

The last time you posted a similar question, you received zero responses,
most likely because it, too, was a vague question. Your problem is not
uncommon, and there are a number of experts who have experience with
MDE's
on multiple OS's. Any of them could have replied to your post two years
ago, yet none took the time. That should tell you something. Please see
the following Web page:

http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm

Pay particular attention to items 7, 8, and 10 in the "Asking questions
the
right way" section.
> If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance


I and the others have plenty to say that may assist you, but without your
revealing details of what is happening and listing the service pack
levels
installed on your workstations, the best I can offer is to suggest that
you
ensure that all workstations have the same service packs installed,
because
different service packs result in different sets of behaviors. At this
point, anything else I or others might suggest is just speculation as to
what your problem is. Perhaps you'll rectify this by providing
additional
information about what's going wrong.
> stick to your own web
> site


Perhaps this was intended as an insult. If so, you missed the mark,
because
it signifies that you noticed a Web site of Access tips and tutorials,
which
is the intent of that Web site. I can only respond with "Thank you for
noticing our work." ;-)
> and don't waste the time of others.


I know you think that I'm wasting _your_ time, but likely thousands of
people have already read your two posted questions, yet we haven't helped
you solve your problem in two years, because you're keeping a secret of
what
the problem actually is. You've described an effect of the problem, "the
application doesn't run correctly" when compiled on a Windows XP
workstation, but we can't help you eliminate the causes unless you reveal
the symptoms. If this thread doesn't eventually provide a solution, then
the efforts exerted to post in and read these two threads were pretty
much a
waste of time. So it's up to you to get the ball rolling, and we'll take
it
from there.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:dH******************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Thanks for the attitude.
>
> If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to your own
> web
> site and don't waste the time of others.
>
> Peter
>
>
>
>
> "'69 Camaro" <Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM>
> wrote
> in
> message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
>> Hi, Peter.
>>
>> > However, if I compile on a WinXP
>> > PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>>
>> There are probably thousands of situations that can come under the
>> heading
>> of "the application doesn't run correctly." Do you want us to begin
>> at
> the
>> top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the rate of
>> one
>> per post to start narrowing down the problem, or would you prefer to
>> hurry
>> things up a bit by describing how the application isn't meeting your
>> expectations, listing any error codes and descriptions the Windows 98
>> computers are showing, and listing which service packs have been
>> applied
> for
>> Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be the same on
>> all
>> computers accessing the application.)
>>
>> HTH.
>> Gunny
>>
>> See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
>> See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and
>> tutorials.
>> http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for
>> contact
>> info.
>>
>>
>> "Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> > Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP.
> Majority
>> > of
>> > applications using Access 97.
>> >
>> > If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
>> > perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a
> WinXP
>> > PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>> >
>> > While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files
>> > and
>> > even
>> > better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98
>> > PC
>> > until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Peter
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>

Jun 19 '06 #12

P: n/a
You see it your way - I see it my way.

Simply put, if I had not given enough information, I would not expect a
reply.

Bye

"Bob Quintal" <rq******@sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xn**********************@66.150.105.47...
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:dH******************@news-server.bigpond.net.au:
Thanks for the attitude.

If you have nothing to say that may be of assistance, stick to
your own web site and don't waste the time of others.

Peter


Peter, the @$$ with the arrogance is whoever posted some vague
generality about "the application doesn't run correctly on Win98
PC's" and expects help. You should apologise to mr Camaro.

If you don't know enough about the problem to describe symptoms
accurately, you are wasting every reader of the newsgroup's
time.

I'm running Access '97 applications (.mdb and .mde) across a
site with Win 98, NT, ME and XP boxes.

I have no knowledge of "the application doesn't run correctly on
Win98 PC's"

.

"'69 Camaro"
<Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote in
message news:O4******************************@adelphia.com ...
Hi, Peter.

> However, if I compile on a WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

There are probably thousands of situations that can come
under the heading of "the application doesn't run correctly."
Do you want us to begin at

the
top of Aaron Kempf's list and iterate through his list at the
rate of one per post to start narrowing down the problem, or
would you prefer to hurry things up a bit by describing how
the application isn't meeting your expectations, listing any
error codes and descriptions the Windows 98 computers are
showing, and listing which service packs have been applied

for
Access, Jet 3.5, and MDAC? (These service packs should be
the same on all computers accessing the application.)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips
and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html
for contact info.
"Bigpond News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:Hh*****************@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 &
> WinXP.

Majority
> of
> applications using Access 97.
>
> If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde
> will run perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However,
> if I compile on a

WinXP
> PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.
>
> While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the
> offending files and even
> better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile
> on a Win98 PC until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
>



--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 19 '06 #13

P: n/a
"MS News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:Og**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
You see it your way - I see it my way.

Simply put, if I had not given enough information, I would not
expect a reply.

Bye

I know some very nice Australians.( Hi Allen!). Why are so many
others arrogant fools?
--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 19 '06 #14

P: n/a

When you declare references, it is common, and often recommended, to
use early binding, e.g.:

Dim objXL As Excel.Application
Dim objWkb As Excel.Workbook
Dim objSht As Excel.Worksheet

Early binding means it compiles at runtime, so the code uses the
references it was compiled with, not the existing references on the
user's PC. If you early bind on Office 2003, and try to open on Office

97/2000, you will find that the references are missing, since the 2003
references don't exist.

Late binding, is this:

Dim objXL As Object
Dim objWkb As Object
Dim objSht As Object

Set objXL = New Excel.Application
Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

Late binding allows the application to use the existing user's
references. You can still run into problems if the feature does not
exist in the previous version of the reference, but late binding
greatly minimizes reference problems across versions. Now, it is
possible that there is no library for what you are using, but the
missing reference usually occurs because the reference exists, but is
the wrong or earlier version. Also, this applies to the other objects
that might have reference libraries.

Some links:

http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/olBinding.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q245115

James Igoe

james.i...@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com
Bigpond News wrote:
Work at a large site - 1000+ PC's. Mixture of Win98 & WinXP. Majority of
applications using Access 97.

If I compile the Acc97 application on a Win98 PC, the .mde will run
perfectly on both Win98 and WinXP PC's. However, if I compile on a WinXP
PC, the application doesn't run correctly on Win98 PC's.

While I guess a Windows issue, does anyone know the offending files and even
better, how to resolve it ? Otherwise I need to compile on a Win98 PC
until the last PC is upgraded to WinXP.

Regards

Peter


Jun 21 '06 #15

P: n/a
Hi, Bob.

Don't take it personally. Peter Henderson wasn't seeking a solution to his
problem, whatever it may be. He was seeking confirmation that he had
already figured out the correct solution himself two years ago, which Larry
Linson has provided. Now he can tell his boss or customer, "Even the
experts can't come up with a better solution than I have," and his boss or
customer will believe him. ;-)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bob Quintal" <rq******@sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xn**********************@66.150.105.47...
"MS News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:Og**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
You see it your way - I see it my way.

Simply put, if I had not given enough information, I would not
expect a reply.

Bye

I know some very nice Australians.( Hi Allen!). Why are so many
others arrogant fools?
--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 21 '06 #16

P: n/a

Can't let go of your anger, huh?
'69 Camaro wrote:
Hi, Bob.

Don't take it personally. Peter Henderson wasn't seeking a solution to his
problem, whatever it may be. He was seeking confirmation that he had
already figured out the correct solution himself two years ago, which Larry
Linson has provided. Now he can tell his boss or customer, "Even the
experts can't come up with a better solution than I have," and his boss or
customer will believe him. ;-)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bob Quintal" <rq******@sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xn**********************@66.150.105.47...
"MS News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
news:Og**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
You see it your way - I see it my way.

Simply put, if I had not given enough information, I would not
expect a reply.

Bye

I know some very nice Australians.( Hi Allen!). Why are so many
others arrogant fools?
--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Jun 21 '06 #17

P: n/a
ja********@gmail.com wrote:
The reference libraries were different for the
versions. The problem was solved by using late binding for the
objects.


Did the OP indicate there were references additional to the built-in
references?

What if the problems were caused by built-in references as they are
when we create an MDE of an Access 2000 format MDB in Access 2002? Such
an MDE runs in Access 2002 but not in Access 2000.

Do you have a way to use late-binding for built-in references? Will you
tell us?

Jun 21 '06 #18

P: n/a

I'm offering a potential solution, as opposed to others like you. All
the time spent kicking the poster could have been spent productively.

And as for giving you solutions to made up questions, I'm not going to
chase down every half-assed pie-in-the-sky question you dream up. How
about my solution for solving the world's poverty. It's certainly more
important, but certainly not relevant.

Maybe you could leave it alone, stop defending your hard-headed stance,
and try answering the poster's questions.
Regards,

James Igoe

ja********@gmail.com || http://code.comparative-advantage.com
Lyle Fairfield wrote:
ja********@gmail.com wrote:
The reference libraries were different for the
versions. The problem was solved by using late binding for the
objects.


Did the OP indicate there were references additional to the built-in
references?

What if the problems were caused by built-in references as they are
when we create an MDE of an Access 2000 format MDB in Access 2002? Such
an MDE runs in Access 2002 but not in Access 2000.

Do you have a way to use late-binding for built-in references? Will you
tell us?


Jun 21 '06 #19

P: n/a
Hi, James.

There's no anger. I can offer my advice, but the poster doesn't have to
take it, and in this case, it's evident that Peter didn't really want our
help. Peter's satisfied that he already has a solution, and now he's made
the effort to prove it, which will satisfy someone else, too. I'd rather
Bob didn't think that Peter's motive for posting was due to poor manners,
because all the Aussies I've met are the types of people you want to be good
friends with.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
<ja********@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@y41g2000cwy.googlegr oups.com...

Can't let go of your anger, huh?
'69 Camaro wrote:
Hi, Bob.

Don't take it personally. Peter Henderson wasn't seeking a solution to
his
problem, whatever it may be. He was seeking confirmation that he had
already figured out the correct solution himself two years ago, which
Larry
Linson has provided. Now he can tell his boss or customer, "Even the
experts can't come up with a better solution than I have," and his boss
or
customer will believe him. ;-)

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/ex...ributors2.html for contact
info.
"Bob Quintal" <rq******@sPAmpatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Xn**********************@66.150.105.47...
> "MS News" <ma********@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
> news:Og**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
>
>> You see it your way - I see it my way.
>>
>> Simply put, if I had not given enough information, I would not
>> expect a reply.
>>
>> Bye
>>
> I know some very nice Australians.( Hi Allen!). Why are so many
> others arrogant fools?
>
>
> --
> Bob Quintal
>
> PA is y I've altered my email address.
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>

Jun 21 '06 #20

P: n/a
ja********@gmail.com wrote:
I'm offering a potential solution, as opposed to others like you. All
the time spent kicking the poster could have been spent productively.

And as for giving you solutions to made up questions, I'm not going to
chase down every half-assed pie-in-the-sky question you dream up. How
about my solution for solving the world's poverty. It's certainly more
important, but certainly not relevant.


It's pleasant to interact with someone who can answer questions about
his opinions and suggestions so helpfully.

Jun 21 '06 #21

P: n/a
"'69 Camaro"
<Fo**************************@Spameater.orgZERO_SP AM> wrote in
news:OM******************************@adelphia.com :
Hi, James.

There's no anger. I can offer my advice, but the poster
doesn't have to take it, and in this case, it's evident that
Peter didn't really want our help. Peter's satisfied that he
already has a solution, and now he's made the effort to prove
it, which will satisfy someone else, too. I'd rather Bob
didn't think that Peter's motive for posting was due to poor
manners, because all the Aussies I've met are the types of
people you want to be good friends with.

HTH.
Gunny
>

Yeah, I know lots of really nice Australians. It's just I hit
two real "winners" or is that "whiners", from down under on the
same day. As to feeding his customer or boss the Bull$#!t about
his solution, that's doing a disservice to the entire Access
Community here, because they go away believing that Access has
problems, when it's really the programmer who has them.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 21 '06 #22

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.