By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,561 Members | 3,265 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,561 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Access 2003 backend db path display

P: n/a
On apps I support for some charitable and non-profits I use a form which
displays application version history info, along with a few system setup
parameters.

One of these setup bits is the backend db filename based on the
technique mentioned on Allen Browne's Tips for Serious Users page
(Thanks Allen for this ... and the calendar and much more !)

="Backend: " &
Mid([DBEngine].[Workspaces](0).[Databases](0).[TableDefs]("Donors").[Connect],11)

At a client who has migrated to Office 2003 I noticed that the textbox
displays a Value# error. (iirc) While this isn't something the client
even sees in most cases, of course I'd like to fix it.

I don't have A2003 to test this locally. Can anyone suggest where this
is likely to fail? I don't know if there could be a library reference
issue on the client's computer - the rest of the application has worked
fine since the client upgraded, several months ago. The app is authored
in A2002 and saved in A2000 format.
TIA

--
F L
-
May 18 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies


P: n/a
Frank L <Le***************@sympatico.ca> wrote in
news:en*******************@news20.bellglobal.com:
One of these setup bits is the backend db filename based on the
technique mentioned on Allen Browne's Tips for Serious Users page
(Thanks Allen for this ... and the calendar and much more !)

="Backend: " &
Mid([DBEngine].[Workspaces](0).[Databases](0).[TableDefs]("Donors")
.[Connect],11)

At a client who has migrated to Office 2003 I noticed that the
textbox displays a Value# error. (iirc) While this isn't
something the client even sees in most cases, of course I'd like
to fix it.


I would replace Allen's controlsource with:

="Backend: " & Mid([CurrentDB].[TableDefs]("Donors").[Connect],11)

I don't know if this will fix the problem, but I see no reason to go
through DBEngine(0)(0) to get to it when CurrentDB will always
return exactly that (whereas DBEngine(0)(0) in certain very rare
circumstances (i.e., after a wizard has run) may return something
other than the database currently opened in the Access UI).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
May 18 '06 #2

P: n/a
David W. Fenton wrote:

I would replace Allen's controlsource with:

="Backend: " & Mid([CurrentDB].[TableDefs]("Donors").[Connect],11)

I don't know if this will fix the problem, but I see no reason to go
through DBEngine(0)(0) to get to it when CurrentDB will always
return exactly that (whereas DBEngine(0)(0) in certain very rare
circumstances (i.e., after a wizard has run) may return something
other than the database currently opened in the Access UI).

I'll apply this simplification and hopefully get to further debugging on
next client visit ... thanks.
--
F L
-
May 20 '06 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.