469,602 Members | 1,838 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,602 developers. It's quick & easy.

Import Errors - "Could not find..."

jim
I'm trying to import a 625MB, tab-delimited .txt file into Access, but
I keep receiving the following error after several minutes of what seem
to be noble attempts by Access to render the data:

The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object ". make
sure the object exists and that you spell its name and path name
correctly.

Does anyone have any idea of what this object is (".)? Because it's
nonspecific, I'm not sure if it's a problem with the layout of my data,
indices, or somehow related to the shear size of the file I'm trying to
import.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Mar 14 '06 #1
4 2078
This object is the txt file you want to import. Maybe you made a
concatanation error.You probably use the DoCmd.TransferText method;
post the entire line of code you use and someone will help you out.

Mar 14 '06 #2
jim
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to Access, so my method of
importing has been very basic. I've just used the File > Get External
Data > Import. Then navigated to the .txt file on my hard drive and
pressed the "import" button.

I worry that size might be a problem. The delimited text file I'm
importing has 103 columns and an unknown number of rows. It's total
size is 625 MB. If anyone has recommendations for how to manage the
import more efficiently (and ultimately *successfully*) I'd be very
interested.

Thanks.

Mar 14 '06 #3
I doubt that size is the problem. Check the file name. I remember I had
the same problem not so long ago and it turned out the file name had
two dots in it.
(like C:\test.file.txt). I always thought those filenames were
forbidden but although they are not Access cannot import them and gives
a similar error as the one you got.
Rename the file you want to import C:\something.txt and try it again.

If you are still stuck, try to break up the the txt file.

good luck

Mar 16 '06 #4
jim
Thanks. I did manage to get what I needed by splitting the file into
two parts. I hadn't considered the way the name read. I had only one
"." but also had a couple underscores and a hyphen. I'll keep an eye
out for this type of thing down the road.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 16 '06 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

5 posts views Thread by mark_galeck_spam_magnet | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by mithrond | last post: by
14 posts views Thread by Paulo da Silva | last post: by
1 post views Thread by smalltalk | last post: by
reply views Thread by devrayhaan | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.