By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
455,663 Members | 1,791 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 455,663 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Filter by Form - not working

P: n/a
Gang,

I have searched this group and have found several other occasions where
folks have experienced the same problem that is described below.

"I have access to several databases where I have used the filter by
form
button to find the records I require. I some databases the drop down
combo
box that results has all the different options within that field that
can be
selected. The others just have the choice of is null or is not null.
The
former is obviously the better. Please can anybody tell me why there
are the
differences and how I can make the databases that only have the null
and not
null options show a list of all possibilities ? (I think this is like
auto
filter in Excel). "

THE RESPONSE IS LISTED BELOW -

Gary,

If you click Tools->Options->Edit/Find you will see a box which
specifies "Don't display lists where more than..." If your combo has
more records than this number, it will show Null/Not Null.

****************

I tried different values and had no luck and I'm not surprised as most
of my variables where I'm getting this message have fewer than 10
choices. Does anyone have any other ideas they would like to share with
me?

I would really appreciate any and all help.

Regards,

Mike

Feb 22 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
Takeadoe wrote:
Gang,

I have searched this group and have found several other occasions
where folks have experienced the same problem that is described below.

"I have access to several databases where I have used the filter by
form
button to find the records I require. I some databases the drop down
combo
box that results has all the different options within that field that
can be
selected. The others just have the choice of is null or is not null.
The
former is obviously the better. Please can anybody tell me why there
are the
differences and how I can make the databases that only have the null
and not
null options show a list of all possibilities ? (I think this is like
auto
filter in Excel). "

THE RESPONSE IS LISTED BELOW -

Gary,

If you click Tools->Options->Edit/Find you will see a box which
specifies "Don't display lists where more than..." If your combo has
more records than this number, it will show Null/Not Null.

****************

I tried different values and had no luck and I'm not surprised as most
of my variables where I'm getting this message have fewer than 10
choices. Does anyone have any other ideas they would like to share
with me?

I would really appreciate any and all help.

Regards,

Mike


I believe it also matters whether the table is linked versus local.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Feb 22 '06 #2

P: n/a
Rick Brandt wrote:
Takeadoe wrote:
Gang,

I have searched this group and have found several other occasions
where folks have experienced the same problem that is described
below. "I have access to several databases where I have used the filter by
form button to find the records I require. I some databases the drop down
combo box that results has all the different options within that field
that can be selected. The others just have the choice of is null or is not
null.
The former is obviously the better. Please can anybody tell me why there
are the differences and how I can make the databases that only have the null

I believe it also matters whether the table is linked versus local.


I just confirmed this. When using FBF on a form bound to a linked table all I
get are Is Null and Is Not Null. I then imported the table and used that
instead of the link and I get all of the choices.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com

Feb 22 '06 #3

P: n/a
Rick - Could you please elaborate on that. I don't completely follow
you. What do you mean by a form bound to linked table?

Mike

Feb 22 '06 #4

P: n/a
Takeadoe wrote:
Rick - Could you please elaborate on that. I don't completely follow
you. What do you mean by a form bound to linked table?


I mean that the table is not in the same file as the form. It is a link to a
table in another file or in my case an ODBC link to a SQL Server table.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Feb 22 '06 #5

P: n/a
Thanks Rick - Once again, my ignorance shines bright. In my case the
only thing in this particular database is a table with the data and a
single query. No forms. I'm running into the null/not null situation
when I choose the filter by form icon from the tool bar from within
either the table itself or the query. There is nothing elaborate here.
Any other thoughts on what I might try to remedy the problem?

email is fine...

Mike

Feb 22 '06 #6

P: n/a
Takeadoe wrote:
Thanks Rick - Once again, my ignorance shines bright. In my case the
only thing in this particular database is a table with the data and a
single query. No forms. I'm running into the null/not null situation
when I choose the filter by form icon from the tool bar from within
either the table itself or the query. There is nothing elaborate
here. Any other thoughts on what I might try to remedy the problem?


Well then the best that I can tell it is related to record qty. I just tested
again with a local table with 1800 records. I got the Is Null, Is Not Null
choices. I reduced the record qty to 1000 and then I got the data choices.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Feb 22 '06 #7

P: n/a
Thank you Rick. I surely do appreciate your help.

Mike

Feb 24 '06 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.