By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,781 Members | 1,134 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,781 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

A2K networked DB "already opened exclusively by another user"

P: n/a
I've been troubleshooting for a friend's charity. She wants their
database accessible from both their PCs (I'll call them A & B), which
are on a local network, both running A2K on Windows 98.

I manually split the DB into a front & back end, and placed the backend
in a shared folder on computer A. Made sure the shared folder was set
to "full access." Computer A can open everything just fine.

Next I copied the frontend to computer B and manually changed all the
linked table references to point to the backend in the shared folder on
A. When I open ed a table it worked fine.

But when I closed the frontend on B and re-opened it, it sat for about
a minute and then gave me the error message "The Microsoft Jet database
engine cannot open the file '\\computerA\folder\database.mdb'. It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to
view its data."

Bizarrely enough when I then removed the linked tables from the
frontend on B & then re-linked them, I could once again open said
tables until I quit Access & re-entered the frontend, which would again
give me the message.

When I use computer B to open the shared folder on A, I am able to open
the backend and edit data with no problem. But the frontend on B keeps
giving me the error when trying to access the backend on A.

Worse, at some point during the day I stopped getting the error message
on computer B and Access began just hanging instead, forcing me to use
task manager to close it. Rebooting didn't fix this. I left for the day
& won't be back until early next week, so I'll have to see if this
behaviour changes any.

I've been searching cdma through google groups, and I see that a lot of
people have had this problem over the years ... but generally the
solutions people have proposed center around "split the db to a front &
back end" which I have done, and "make sure the shared folder allows
full permissions including modifying & deleting files" which it does to
the best of my knowledge (right-clicking on shared folder and making
sure it is set to "full access").

Both the backend & frontend are password-protected. The folder on A
used to be password-protected until I removed the password, hoping that
might solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Matthew Furrow
mfurrow at mail dot md

Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies


P: n/a
In
news:11**********************@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com,
ca*******@my-deja.com typed:
I've been troubleshooting for a friend's charity. She
wants
their database accessible from both their PCs (I'll call
them
A & B), which are on a local network, both running A2K on
Windows 98.

I manually split the DB into a front & back end, and
placed
the backend in a shared folder on computer A. Made sure
the
shared folder was set to "full access." Computer A can
open
everything just fine.


SNIP

Double check Default Open Mode for each of the three mdb's
in A2K's Tools|Options Advanced tab. Make sure it's set to
shared.
--
Nick Coe (UK)
Available - Will work for money :-)
http://www.alphacos.co.uk/ AccHelp + pAnimal
http://www.pjandcoe.co.uk/ Online Store
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Nick Coe (UK) wrote:
In
news:11**********************@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com,
ca*******@my-deja.com typed:
I've been troubleshooting for a friend's charity. She
wants
their database accessible from both their PCs (I'll call
them
A & B), which are on a local network, both running A2K on
Windows 98.

I manually split the DB into a front & back end, and
placed
the backend in a shared folder on computer A. Made sure
the
shared folder was set to "full access." Computer A can
open
everything just fine.


SNIP

Double check Default Open Mode for each of the three mdb's
in A2K's Tools|Options Advanced tab. Make sure it's set to
shared.


Thanks for the suggestion. I did indeed check this, and the default
open mode was set to shared. After tinkering some more, I finally
solved the problem: I created a fresh blank .mdb and imported all the
queries/forms/reports from the original frontend. Likewise I created a
fresh backend and imported all the tables from the original. Using
these new files, the error disappeared.

--
Matthew Furrow
mfurrow at mail dot md

Nov 13 '05 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.