By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,414 Members | 2,903 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,414 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

File Not Found error when importing forms from another database

P: n/a
I am trying to split up and secure a database that we've been using on
a network for a few years, following the procedure listed in Q304932
from microsoft.
I create a new blank database for the front end, and am able to import
tables and link from the backend. Queries come in ok too. When I
tried to import Modules, forms, and reports, most of them failed with
the error: "File Not Found:
'C:\Document~1\bkeevan\LOCAL~1*\Temp\VB517.tmp' Name conflicts with
existing module, project, or object library."
the help text (Error 53) that come up lists 3 possibilities, the first
being that
the file doesn't exist. I checked, and sure enough it doesn't. I
don't see why I should need this file. Also, curiously enough, when I
keep trying to import the same form, it keeps looking for a different
file in the temp folder.

I am running Access 2002 on a WinXPPro machine.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Brian

Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
Brian, this sounds like a corruption. Access is confused about the name of
something.

The fact that the file name changes and this occurs with many objects is
confusing.

Try this sequence:

1. Make a backup copy of the good database (so you get multiple rescue
chances) while Access is NOT running.

2. Close all programs.
Delete all files from your temp folder:
C:\Document~1\bkeevan\LOCAL~1*\Temp
Then run a chkdsk to make sure the drive is fine.
And check the free space on your disk is at least four times the size of
this database file.

3. Open the good database.
Uncheck the boxes under:
Tools | Options | General | Name AutoCorrect
Explanation of why:
http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html

4. Compact the database to get rid of this junk:
Tools | Database Utilities | Compact

5. Close Access. Decompile the database by entering something like this at
the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and
include the quotes:
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
"c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

4. Open Access, and compact again.

5. Open a code window.
Choose References from the Tools menu.
Uncheck any references you do not need.
For a list of the ones you typically need in your version of Access, see:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

6. Still in the code window, choose Compile from the Debug menu.
Fix any errors, and repeat until it compiles okay.
At this point, you should have a database where the name-autocorrect errors
are gone, the indexes are repaired, inconsistencies between the text- and
compiled-versions of the code are fixed, and reference ambiguities are
resolved.

If it is still a problem, the next step would be to get Access to rebuild
the database for you. Follow the steps for the first symptom in this
article:
Recovering from Corruption
at:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

If you can pin it down to one particular form or report that is still
problematic, you could try exporting the problematic object using:
SaveAsText acForm, "Form1", "C:\Form1.txt"
and then import into a new database with:
LoadFromText acForm, "Form1", "C:\Form1.txt"
If the SaveAsText option fails, it's usually easiest to rebuild the form
(though you may be able to copy the code from the fail form's module, and
paste it into the new form when you've created it.)

Hope that helps.
--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"Brian K." <br**********@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
I am trying to split up and secure a database that we've been using on
a network for a few years, following the procedure listed in Q304932
from microsoft.
I create a new blank database for the front end, and am able to import
tables and link from the backend. Queries come in ok too. When I
tried to import Modules, forms, and reports, most of them failed with
the error: "File Not Found:
'C:\Document~1\bkeevan\LOCAL~1*\Temp\VB517.tmp' Name conflicts with
existing module, project, or object library."
the help text (Error 53) that come up lists 3 possibilities, the first
being that
the file doesn't exist. I checked, and sure enough it doesn't. I
don't see why I should need this file. Also, curiously enough, when I
keep trying to import the same form, it keeps looking for a different
file in the temp folder.

I am running Access 2002 on a WinXPPro machine.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Brian
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Thanks for the help -- I will begin trying these now. Sounds like Name
AutoCorrect is a possible culprit.
Brian

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Allen,
I went through the steps, except for unchecking references. Apparently
I never had Name AutoCorrect on anyway. So decompiling and recompiling
seemed to do the trick. Thanks

Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
Good news!

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"Brian K." <br**********@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
Allen,
I went through the steps, except for unchecking references. Apparently
I never had Name AutoCorrect on anyway. So decompiling and recompiling
seemed to do the trick. Thanks

Nov 13 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.