By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,479 Members | 2,260 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,479 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Access 2003, Question concerning Adobe Acrobat

P: n/a
We recently had to upgrade the computers in our company. Now our
office's website on our company intranet no longer recognizes reports
saved in snapshot format. We get an error message that the file we are
downloading "cannot be opened by the default program. It is either
corrupted or it has an incorrect file type." We had no problem until
our upgrade, but our IT department says there's no fix. My question is
concerning Adobe Acrobat. At the risk of sounding stupid, if I were to
buy and install this software, how would I save my reports as PDF
files? Would Access 2003 automatically recognize that I could output
reports to Adobe Acrobat, giving PDF as an option in the macro design
window as it does Snapshot or HTML, or would I have to write code to
save reports as PDF files?

TIA,
JD

Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
On 18 Jul 2005 13:47:32 -0700, jd****@yahoo.com wrote:

You would have to write code to "print" a report to the PDF Printer.
Fairly easy to do since Access 2003 has good support for printing to
various printers (i.e. the new Printer object).

I hope your IT dept meant to say "there is no fix that WE can think
of". Perhaps you could outsource this portion of the project. I don't
think you can't use Snapshot files anymore.

-Tom.

We recently had to upgrade the computers in our company. Now our
office's website on our company intranet no longer recognizes reports
saved in snapshot format. We get an error message that the file we are
downloading "cannot be opened by the default program. It is either
corrupted or it has an incorrect file type." We had no problem until
our upgrade, but our IT department says there's no fix. My question is
concerning Adobe Acrobat. At the risk of sounding stupid, if I were to
buy and install this software, how would I save my reports as PDF
files? Would Access 2003 automatically recognize that I could output
reports to Adobe Acrobat, giving PDF as an option in the macro design
window as it does Snapshot or HTML, or would I have to write code to
save reports as PDF files?

TIA,
JD


Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Hi JD,

What you could do is install a (free) PDF writer program. You can use the
one from Adobe itself but that cost you some money. When you have installed
the program you will find a new (pseudo) printer that isn't printing on
paper but to a pdf file format which you can open with Adobe reader.

When you can program in your app you can write the report to the pdf file
and next open it in Adobe Reader. I have implemented this solution at a
company who wanted to scan all their documents. I write the images into a
pdf - file and next open them in AR.

Good luck!

Wilbert van Diemen
<jd****@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:11**********************@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
We recently had to upgrade the computers in our company. Now our
office's website on our company intranet no longer recognizes reports
saved in snapshot format. We get an error message that the file we are
downloading "cannot be opened by the default program. It is either
corrupted or it has an incorrect file type." We had no problem until
our upgrade, but our IT department says there's no fix. My question is
concerning Adobe Acrobat. At the risk of sounding stupid, if I were to
buy and install this software, how would I save my reports as PDF
files? Would Access 2003 automatically recognize that I could output
reports to Adobe Acrobat, giving PDF as an option in the macro design
window as it does Snapshot or HTML, or would I have to write code to
save reports as PDF files?

TIA,
JD

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
I'd like to thank each of you for your reply. I was given permission
to buy the Adobe Acrobat Writer software, but before I do, I have a
couple of questions. We output reports from Access to one of our
network drives to which all employees have "read-only rights", then
create hyperlinks to the reports from our intranet website so the
employees can easily view them. Will you share with me the code to
print a report to the PDF printer using Printer Object? Also, how
would I output the report to our network drive? Currently, using a
macro, I'm given the opportunity to enter the full path of the report's
destination. Again, thanks!

Wilbert van Diemen wrote:
Hi JD,

What you could do is install a (free) PDF writer program. You can use the
one from Adobe itself but that cost you some money. When you have installed
the program you will find a new (pseudo) printer that isn't printing on
paper but to a pdf file format which you can open with Adobe reader.

When you can program in your app you can write the report to the pdf file
and next open it in Adobe Reader. I have implemented this solution at a
company who wanted to scan all their documents. I write the images into a
pdf - file and next open them in AR.

Good luck!

Wilbert van Diemen
<jd****@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:11**********************@g43g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
We recently had to upgrade the computers in our company. Now our
office's website on our company intranet no longer recognizes reports
saved in snapshot format. We get an error message that the file we are
downloading "cannot be opened by the default program. It is either
corrupted or it has an incorrect file type." We had no problem until
our upgrade, but our IT department says there's no fix. My question is
concerning Adobe Acrobat. At the risk of sounding stupid, if I were to
buy and install this software, how would I save my reports as PDF
files? Would Access 2003 automatically recognize that I could output
reports to Adobe Acrobat, giving PDF as an option in the macro design
window as it does Snapshot or HTML, or would I have to write code to
save reports as PDF files?

TIA,
JD


Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
On 20 Jul 2005 10:01:49 -0700, jd****@yahoo.com wrote:
Will you share with me the code to
print a report to the PDF printer using Printer Object? Also, how
would I output the report to our network drive? Currently, using a
macro, I'm given the opportunity to enter the full path of the report's
destination. Again, thanks!

Hi
I followed the other route and installed Cute PDFwriter (free, though not sure with what licence).
This installs as if it is a printer, so to generate the pdf file from a report you just print it
to the pdfwrite printer. I think it asks for a file name each time though. There was a recent
thread in the group on this.

On the snapshot front.the same occurred to my programs when the client changed the server,
but I just downloaded and re-installed the latest SNP viewer and it worked. However pdf output
is less hassle all around.
Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
I need a little more help as I am fairly new to VBA. I have purchased
and installed Adobe Acrobat 7.0. On a form in my database in a
button's on click event, I placed the following code:

Application.Printer = Application.Printers("Adobe PDF")
DoCmd.OpenReport "rptPet", acViewNormal
Application.Printer = Nothing

After running the code above, I get a "save as" dialog box that prompts
me to select the location to which to save the file. What I want to do
is write some code to include with the code above that will
automatically save the file in a location on our network - for example,
save the file as Z:\Accounting\rptPet.pdf. This way, all the user has
to do is click the button and he's done.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

TIA, JD
rude person wrote:
On 20 Jul 2005 10:01:49 -0700, jd****@yahoo.com wrote:
Will you share with me the code to
print a report to the PDF printer using Printer Object? Also, how
would I output the report to our network drive? Currently, using a
macro, I'm given the opportunity to enter the full path of the report's
destination. Again, thanks!

Hi
I followed the other route and installed Cute PDFwriter (free, though not sure with what licence).
This installs as if it is a printer, so to generate the pdf file from a report you just print it
to the pdfwrite printer. I think it asks for a file name each time though. There was a recent
thread in the group on this.

On the snapshot front.the same occurred to my programs when the client changed the server,
but I just downloaded and re-installed the latest SNP viewer and it worked. However pdf output
is less hassle all around.


Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a
I just wanted to post the fix that I found for this in case anyone else
has the same problem I've been having. I never found any code - I
changed a setting in the properties of the printer. I went to Start,
Printers. I right-clicked on Adobe PDF printer and selected
Properties. On the Advanced tab, I selected Printing Defaults. On the
Adobe PDF Settings tab, the Adobe PDF Output Folder was defaulted to
"Prompt for Adobe PDF filename". I changed this to the folder on our
network where I want my file to be saved.
jd****@yahoo.com wrote:
I need a little more help as I am fairly new to VBA. I have purchased
and installed Adobe Acrobat 7.0. On a form in my database in a
button's on click event, I placed the following code:

Application.Printer = Application.Printers("Adobe PDF")
DoCmd.OpenReport "rptPet", acViewNormal
Application.Printer = Nothing

After running the code above, I get a "save as" dialog box that prompts
me to select the location to which to save the file. What I want to do
is write some code to include with the code above that will
automatically save the file in a location on our network - for example,
save the file as Z:\Accounting\rptPet.pdf. This way, all the user has
to do is click the button and he's done.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

TIA, JD
rude person wrote:
On 20 Jul 2005 10:01:49 -0700, jd****@yahoo.com wrote:
Will you share with me the code to
print a report to the PDF printer using Printer Object? Also, how
would I output the report to our network drive? Currently, using a
macro, I'm given the opportunity to enter the full path of the report's
destination. Again, thanks!

Hi
I followed the other route and installed Cute PDFwriter (free, though not sure with what licence).
This installs as if it is a printer, so to generate the pdf file from a report you just print it
to the pdfwrite printer. I think it asks for a file name each time though. There was a recent
thread in the group on this.

On the snapshot front.the same occurred to my programs when the client changed the server,
but I just downloaded and re-installed the latest SNP viewer and it worked. However pdf output
is less hassle all around.


Nov 13 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.