By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
429,244 Members | 1,772 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 429,244 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Is MS Access 97 16 bit?

P: n/a
MM
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM


Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.

Arno R
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Both are 32-bit.

The only Access versions that were 16bit were:
1
1.1
2.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Arno R wrote:
"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM

Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.

Arno R


Access 95 was 2 bit, I believe.

--
--
Lyle
Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.

Arno R


Access 95 was 2 bit, I believe.

--
--
Lyle


You are wrong here Lyle,
Access 95 was the first 32-bit version.
Maybe that's why it was the *worst* version ever ?
Although I own a copy of Access 95, I never used it because I read a lot of horror-stories ...
(That time I was still 'fighting' with Access 2.0. which was a good and stable release with SP 2)

Arno R

Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
Arno R wrote:
Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.

Arno R


Access 95 was 2 bit, I believe.

--
--
Lyle

You are wrong here Lyle,
Access 95 was the first 32-bit version.
Maybe that's why it was the *worst* version ever ?
Although I own a copy of Access 95, I never used it because I read a lot of horror-stories ...
(That time I was still 'fighting' with Access 2.0. which was a good and stable release with SP 2)

Arno R

two-bit (tbt)
adj.

1. Informal. Costing or worth 25 cents: a two-bit cigar.
2. Slang. Worth very little; petty or insignificant: a two-bit thief.
Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a

"Lyle Fairfield" <ff*******@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht news:h%*****************@read1.cgocable.net...
Arno R wrote:
Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.

Arno R

Access 95 was 2 bit, I believe.

--
--
Lyle



You are wrong here Lyle,
Access 95 was the first 32-bit version.
Maybe that's why it was the *worst* version ever ?
Although I own a copy of Access 95, I never used it because I read a lot of horror-stories ...
(That time I was still 'fighting' with Access 2.0. which was a good and stable release with SP 2)

Arno R

two-bit (tbt)
adj.

1. Informal. Costing or worth 25 cents: a two-bit cigar.
2. Slang. Worth very little; petty or insignificant: a two-bit thief.


Thanks for clarifying this! I did misread your message ...
(I was actually thinking: Lyle didn't sleep 2-well ... <g>)

Arno R

Nov 13 '05 #7

P: n/a
MM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:16:48 +0200, "Arno R"
<ar***********@tiscali.nl> wrote:
"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM


Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.


Oh. The reason I asked was that a web hosting company I was
considering for ASP/Access hosting stated that they didn't recommend
Access 97 databases, but only Access 2000 or later. The reason, they
said, was that Access 97 mdb's may produce the error: "Cannot open
database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."

Now this is exactly the error that I have been having for months on
one of the freebie hosting sites. I was at my wits' end, until I saw
this advice. Then I upated the mdb to Access 2000 (Jet 4.0?) and since
then the problem has disappeared on the freebie site.

So, having used Access 97 for years without a problem in standalone
apps, accessing mdb's from VB6, I wonder why there is this apparent
problem when in an ASP/IIS environment and why the Access 2000 version
should fix it? Weird. I thought maybe it's because the Access 97
version is 16-bit. Maybe it's that that it doesn't like. Must be
something else, though.

MM
Nov 13 '05 #8

P: n/a
On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:23:41 +0100, MM <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:16:48 +0200, "Arno R"
<ar***********@tiscali.nl> wrote:
"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM


Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.


Oh. The reason I asked was that a web hosting company I was
considering for ASP/Access hosting stated that they didn't recommend
Access 97 databases, but only Access 2000 or later. The reason, they
said, was that Access 97 mdb's may produce the error: "Cannot open
database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."

Now this is exactly the error that I have been having for months on
one of the freebie hosting sites. I was at my wits' end, until I saw
this advice. Then I upated the mdb to Access 2000 (Jet 4.0?) and since
then the problem has disappeared on the freebie site.

So, having used Access 97 for years without a problem in standalone
apps, accessing mdb's from VB6, I wonder why there is this apparent
problem when in an ASP/IIS environment and why the Access 2000 version
should fix it? Weird. I thought maybe it's because the Access 97
version is 16-bit. Maybe it's that that it doesn't like. Must be
something else, though.

MM

Hi
This is what Streamline.net say:
"You should use only Access 2000 or higher databases. If you use
Access 97 you may receive the following error:-
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
This is due to an issue in MDAC 2.5 and greater and is only resolved
by using a newer version of Access."
David

Nov 13 '05 #9

P: n/a
MM
On 15 May 2005 18:56:02 -0500, d.***************@blueyonder.co.uk
(David Schofield) wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:23:41 +0100, MM <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:16:48 +0200, "Arno R"
<ar***********@tiscali.nl> wrote:
"MM" <ky******@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:oj********************************@4ax.com...
And Access 2000 et seq 32 bit?

MM

Access 97 is 32 bit
Access 2.0 was the last 16 bit version.


Oh. The reason I asked was that a web hosting company I was
considering for ASP/Access hosting stated that they didn't recommend
Access 97 databases, but only Access 2000 or later. The reason, they
said, was that Access 97 mdb's may produce the error: "Cannot open
database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt."

Now this is exactly the error that I have been having for months on
one of the freebie hosting sites. I was at my wits' end, until I saw
this advice. Then I upated the mdb to Access 2000 (Jet 4.0?) and since
then the problem has disappeared on the freebie site.

So, having used Access 97 for years without a problem in standalone
apps, accessing mdb's from VB6, I wonder why there is this apparent
problem when in an ASP/IIS environment and why the Access 2000 version
should fix it? Weird. I thought maybe it's because the Access 97
version is 16-bit. Maybe it's that that it doesn't like. Must be
something else, though.

MM

Hi
This is what Streamline.net say:
"You should use only Access 2000 or higher databases. If you use
Access 97 you may receive the following error:-
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
This is due to an issue in MDAC 2.5 and greater and is only resolved
by using a newer version of Access."


Yes, that is exactly the same wording as on the Asp-Host site.
Certainly, since upgrading the mdb to 2000 this problem seems to have
disappeared. I wonder what the 'issue' is. Access 97 versioned mdb's
work fine through VB6.

MM
Nov 13 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.