By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,851 Members | 1,172 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,851 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

DB messed up after network failure - help

P: n/a
Hello, I have DB located on network, and network cable was cut off
accidently few days ago... now its fixed, but I can't add new records
to the DB with forms...

The error I get is this (when trying to add new record):
"The changes you requested to the table were not successful because
they would create duplicate values in the index primary key or
relationship. Change the data in the field or fields that contation
duplicate data, remove the index or redefine the index to permit
duplicate entries and try again."

I tried to change the data, first it didn't let me to, then, I removed
relations to table I suspect is causing problems, removed all indexes
on that table, changed "AutoNumber" on one column to "Number", and then
was able to change one last row of data with wierd characters -
replaced them manualy with meaningful data that should be there...

After that, I opened application and was able to insert only one
records, without problems, but then, when tried to insert next new
record - it failed again, with the same message...

Any advice for me what to do, what is the problem here, how to fix it?

Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a

Your database is likely corrupted. Try to do a Compact/Repair.

Tools --> Database Utilities --> Compact and Repair Database

if that doesnt work you may have to create a new database and import
everything from the old one, which may or may not fix the corruption.

Hope this helps

Colin


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
ColinWard wrote:
Your database is likely corrupted. Try to do a Compact/Repair.

Tools --> Database Utilities --> Compact and Repair Database

if that doesnt work you may have to create a new database and import
everything from the old one, which may or may not fix the corruption.

Hope this helps
With either method, make a backup copy first.
Colin


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a

Salad wrote:
ColinWard wrote:
Your database is likely corrupted. Try to do a Compact/Repair.

Tools --> Database Utilities --> Compact and Repair Database

if that doesnt work you may have to create a new database and import everything from the old one, which may or may not fix the corruption.
Hope this helps


With either method, make a backup copy first.

Compact/Repair didn't fix the corrupted data...
But what I found out is that after I deleted all the relationship
between tables I was able to also delete AutoNumber field,
specifically the very last row which was corrupted...
That AutoNumber was messed up also, so, I after I deleted the row
and after I inserted manually new record, with normal values,
I recreated primary keys, indexes, and relationships,
and now database functions normaly...



Colin


*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***


Nov 13 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.