By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
428,583 Members | 594 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 428,583 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

In Access 97 and Access 2.0 applications, if a command button has the focus, the spacebar will 'PRESS" the key. How to disable this?

P: n/a
MLH
In Access 97 and Access 2.0 applications, if a command button has the
focus, the spacebar will 'PRESS" the key. How does one go about
disabling this annoying BEATURE?
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
16 Replies


P: n/a
MLH <CR**@NorthState.net> writes:
In Access 97 and Access 2.0 applications, if a command button has the
focus, the spacebar will 'PRESS" the key. How does one go about
disabling this annoying BEATURE?


That is the behaviour of the buttons in all applications that run
under MS operating systems. The only way I know of to disable it would
involve subclassing the control - a very tedious and involved
procedure if you're programming in Basic.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
ra*********@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Is there a way to have both the spacebar and the ENTER key activate the
command button that has the focus?

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Are you aware that the spacebar checks and unchecks checkboxes and option
buttons before you disable the spacebar? Many users like that feature.

--
PC Datasheet
Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications
re******@pcdatasheet.com
www.pcdatasheet.com
"MLH" <CR**@NorthState.net> wrote in message
news:cb********************************@4ax.com...
In Access 97 and Access 2.0 applications, if a command button has the
focus, the spacebar will 'PRESS" the key. How does one go about
disabling this annoying BEATURE?

Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
MLH <CR**@NorthState.net> wrote in
news:cb********************************@4ax.com:
In Access 97 and Access 2.0 applications, if a command button has
the focus, the spacebar will 'PRESS" the key. How does one go
about disabling this annoying BEATURE?


The only thing I can think of is to use KeyPreview to make all
presses of the spacebar check to see if a command button has the
focus, and if so, discard the keypress.

But why would you *want* to disable the standard behavior of every
Windows command button that has ever existed in every application
and every part of the OS since Windows was created?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
MLH
You are all correct. Its a bad idea.
A waste of time to fight such a firmly
entrenched standard.

However, its not as bad as the idea
of misusing the space bar in the first
place. Bastardizing the function of one
key on a keyboard with over 100 keys
was a dumb idea. It probably arose from
a 25-year veteran typist who was a whiz
on mechanical typewriters that had no
Enter or Return keys. Its likely that she
hated the IBM selectric. She probably had
a lot of pull in the office politics arena.
She probably loved to use the space bar.
Undoubtedly, she pissed, moaned and
groaned about it so much that the pussy
whipped, jelly-fish backboned IT manager
gave in to her ridiculous bitching because
he was afraid that pissing her off might
result in him losing his job. Keyboards
were patterned after typewriters. Space-
bars were used a lot - generally between
every word. They were long so left and
right thumbs would have equal access.
And on a typewriter, they always made a
space when pressed. I already have two
Enter keys on my keyboard. I find that's
sufficient.

Most would agree that just because something
can be done doesn't make it a good idea. This
was a bad idea.
Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a
MLH wrote:
Most would agree that just because something
can be done doesn't make it a good idea. This
was a bad idea.


I think having the Q key enter the letter Q is a bad idea, too!
--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<
/#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake
/^^ "Whatcha doin?" - Ditto "TIM-MAY!!" - Me
Nov 13 '05 #7

P: n/a
MLH
I disagree.

I think having the Q key enter the letter Q is a bad idea, too!


Nov 13 '05 #8

P: n/a
MLH <CR**@NorthState.net> wrote in
news:ut********************************@4ax.com:
You are all correct. Its a bad idea.
A waste of time to fight such a firmly
entrenched standard.

However, its not as bad as the idea
of misusing the space bar in the first
place.


Leaving aside the inherent misogyny in your longwinded answer, how
else would one execute a command button without using the mouse?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
Nov 13 '05 #9

P: n/a
MLH wrote:
I disagree.
I think having the Q key enter the letter Q is a bad idea, too!



Nope, he's right, unless you're typing in "Qantas" the "Q" key should
enter the letters "qu". :-)

--
[Oo=w=oO]

Nov 13 '05 #10

P: n/a
MLH
Tab to it and press enter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leaving aside the inherent misogyny in your longwinded answer, how
else would one execute a command button without using the mouse?


Nov 13 '05 #11

P: n/a
MLH <CR**@NorthState.net> wrote in
news:93********************************@4ax.com:
Leaving aside the inherent misogyny in your longwinded answer, how
else would one execute a command button without using the mouse?


Tab to it and press enter.


That's a logical alternative.

It's just not the way Microsoft (or Apple) decided to implement it.

Too bad you don't agree with The Way Things Are.

As I learned in my days trying to program Paradox without using WAIT
TABLE (I hated having to redefine the keyboard interface with every
call to it), if you don't like the basic design of the platform
you're using, you shouldn't be using that platform.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
Nov 13 '05 #12

P: n/a
"Trevor Best" <no****@besty.org.uk> wrote in message
news:42**********************@news.zen.co.uk...
MLH wrote:
I disagree.
I think having the Q key enter the letter Q is a bad idea, too!



Nope, he's right, unless you're typing in "Qantas" the "Q" key should
enter the letters "qu". :-)


And Iraqu...?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

Nov 13 '05 #13

P: n/a
Douglas J. Steele wrote:
"Trevor Best" <no****@besty.org.uk> wrote in message
news:42**********************@news.zen.co.uk...
MLH wrote:
I disagree.
I think having the Q key enter the letter Q is a bad idea, too!

Nope, he's right, unless you're typing in "Qantas" the "Q" key should
enter the letters "qu". :-)

And Iraqu...?


Well at least on this side of the Atlantic, we can pronounce it properly :-)

--
[Oo=w=oO]

Nov 13 '05 #14

P: n/a
(top posting fixed to make this post readable)

MLH wrote:
Leaving aside the inherent misogyny in your longwinded answer, how
else would one execute a command button without using the mouse?


Tab to it and press enter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


then we're back to your other argument where additional to the spacebar
having a function, the enter key for years has produced a carriage
return and line feed pair.

--
[Oo=w=oO]

Nov 13 '05 #15

P: n/a
The British do not have the last word :-) in pronouncing the names of
countries. The 'proper' pronunciation of Nicaragua is not 'Nick a RAG
goo uh' :-).

James A. Fortune

Nov 13 '05 #16

P: n/a
MLH
<snip>
then we're back to your other argument where additional to the spacebar
having a function, the enter key for years has produced a carriage
return and line feed pair.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yeah, but that's all it does. It doesn't print a space.

Nov 13 '05 #17

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.