By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,747 Members | 1,672 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,747 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Unlinking Tables

P: n/a
DS
How do you unlink tables in a split database. Or change the link?
Thanks
DS
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:57:02 -0500, DS wrote:
How do you unlink tables in a split database. Or change the link?
Thanks
DS


Open the database (Front end).
Show all the tables.
Click on the table you wish to un-link.
Delete it (you're deleting the link not the table).

Or if you just want to relink, click on
Tools + DataBase Utilities + Link Manager.

Select the tables wanted.
Click on the "Always prompt for new location" check box at the lower
left corner of the dialog.
Click OK.
Navigate to the database that has the new back end tables.
Click OK.
--
Fred
Please only reply to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal email.
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
DS
fredg wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:57:02 -0500, DS wrote:

How do you unlink tables in a split database. Or change the link?
Thanks
DS

Open the database (Front end).
Show all the tables.
Click on the table you wish to un-link.
Delete it (you're deleting the link not the table).

Or if you just want to relink, click on
Tools + DataBase Utilities + Link Manager.

Select the tables wanted.
Click on the "Always prompt for new location" check box at the lower
left corner of the dialog.
Click OK.
Navigate to the database that has the new back end tables.
Click OK.

Great, Thank you! This whole thing sounds scarey but I heard its the
right thing to do when your going to be in a multi-user enviroment.
Also whenever you add a new field to a table, do you add it to the
tables database or the other one with the forms, querys, etc? Thank you.
DS
Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:36:36 -0500, DS wrote:
fredg wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:57:02 -0500, DS wrote:
How do you unlink tables in a split database. Or change the link?
Thanks
DS


Open the database (Front end).
Show all the tables.
Click on the table you wish to un-link.
Delete it (you're deleting the link not the table).

Or if you just want to relink, click on
Tools + DataBase Utilities + Link Manager.

Select the tables wanted.
Click on the "Always prompt for new location" check box at the lower
left corner of the dialog.
Click OK.
Navigate to the database that has the new back end tables.
Click OK.

Great, Thank you! This whole thing sounds scarey but I heard its the
right thing to do when your going to be in a multi-user enviroment.
Also whenever you add a new field to a table, do you add it to the
tables database or the other one with the forms, querys, etc? Thank you.
DS


Since the tables are in the back end, you must add the new field to
the Back end. As a matter of fact, if you try to open the Front end
table in design view, you'll get a message that you cannot modify the
table design.
--
Fred
Please only reply to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal email.
Nov 13 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.