By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,347 Members | 2,113 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,347 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

OLE Image Problem in A2002

P: n/a
I posted this with a different subject line (in two posts - I added
additional info in the second) in this newsgroup a few days ago, but
haven't had a single response. Hopefully, that was because I posted
at the weekend, and the experts were all having a well-earned rest and
missed it first time around. I'm hoping someone here can help - I've
had no joy in other avenues. Now to the problem:

Using Access 2002:
I have downloaded a tutorial database, which has a form containing a
bound object frame to display a picture. The picture field in the
underlying table has an OLE Object datatype, and when a picture is
inserted (either directly into the table, or via the form), the table
entry contains the term "Package". The pictures which are available
to be inserted into the database (as steps in the tutorial) are .bmp
files. My problem is that the form displays both the picture (in a
small "thumbnail" format) and its filename (only the filename - the
path is not included) in the bound object frame. I've never seen this
behaviour before (I've got several databases which display pictures,
via several different methods), and I can't find any obvious property
which is causing this behaviour. BTW, the supplied .bmp files contain
only a picture - the text is not part of the image!

Additional information:

The database was originally in A97 format, which I converted to A2000
format (that's what I had set in my Options|Advanced tab - I'd done
that some time ago since I needed A2000 format for stuff I was doing
at both work and home), in A2002 SP3 on a Windows XP Home system
(without SP2 - trying to install that was a disaster!).

Running the original A97 database (on two different machines which
both have A97 installed, one with Win2000 and another with WinME) has
the image displaying correctly in the bound object frame.

Converting the original database to A2000 format (in A2000, not
A2002), on the system with Win2000 and A2000, also displayed the image
correctly.

Converting the original database to A2002 format on the WinXP/A2002
system gives the same problem I originally asked about. Well, almost
identical - the thumbnail and filename were displayed slightly
differently, left-justified in the bound object frame, and the text
font was different. Note: the bound object frame has no properties to
set these formatting options.

My conclusion is that the problem arises in either Access 2002 (aka
Access XP) or WinXP Home, rather than in the actual format of the
database.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else
experienced this? Is this a known problem?

Rob
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
On 8 Feb 2005 18:47:05 -0800, Rob Parker
<ro***********@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:
Using Access 2002:
I have downloaded a tutorial database, which has a form containing a
bound object frame to display a picture. The picture field in the
underlying table has an OLE Object datatype, and when a picture is
inserted (either directly into the table, or via the form), the table
entry contains the term "Package". The pictures which are available
to be inserted into the database (as steps in the tutorial) are .bmp
files. My problem is that the form displays both the picture (in a
small "thumbnail" format) and its filename (only the filename - the
path is not included) in the bound object frame. I've never seen this
behaviour before (I've got several databases which display pictures,
via several different methods), and I can't find any obvious property
which is causing this behaviour. BTW, the supplied .bmp files contain
only a picture - the text is not part of the image!


The problem is related to OLE providers. I saw this once before I stopped
using any type of OLE picture placement with bound object frames. As I
recall, I fixed the problem by repairing the MS Image Editor in Office,
which had gotten flakey on one PC. After determining that I did no want
my app to be hostage to quirks caused by image-editing products trying to
steal file associations from each other, I searched this newsgroup and
decided to use unbound image controls instead. Of course, this also
solved the whole database bloat issue associated with storing images in
the database.

Darryl Kerkeslager
Nov 13 '05 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.