By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,426 Members | 2,753 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,426 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Number of tab controls

P: n/a
I have a form with a number of tab controls. The tab controls are part of 3
sub forms that are based on different tables.Is it possible to stack the
tabcontrols as say 3 rows of 5 rather than 1 row of 15. With 1 row of 15 the
form is either too long for the form or all the tabs are not shown and the
user has to click on arrows to view the unseen tabs.
TIA
Tony Williams
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
13 Replies


P: n/a
Tony Williams wrote:
I have a form with a number of tab controls. The tab controls are part of 3
sub forms that are based on different tables.Is it possible to stack the
tabcontrols as say 3 rows of 5 rather than 1 row of 15. With 1 row of 15 the
form is either too long for the form or all the tabs are not shown and the
user has to click on arrows to view the unseen tabs.


The MultiRow property of the tabcontrol does this.

Consider, however, that tabcontrols with multiple rows cause slight
confusion with users. An alternative solution is to offer all tab
choices in a listbox to the left, and display the correct pane upon
click in the listbox.

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a

When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.

Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.

Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.

Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
<cq*******@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.


You can use Button format to void that.
--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a

When you say that tab controls cause confusion, is this because the
active tab always moves to the front row? Why MS has designed their
tab controls to behave in this manner is beyond me.

Nov 13 '05 #7

P: n/a
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.

Nov 13 '05 #8

P: n/a
Rick Brandt wrote:
<cq*******@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.


You can use Button format to void that.


Very good Rick! I didn't know that property.

Tony, it is hard to provide accurate visual feedback with a tabcontrol.
The user has the right to know which tab is active, by looking at the
navigation panel. I think you can agree with that.
With tabs, the indication 'active' is done by linking the tab to the
panel. That is close to impossible if the active tab lives on anything
but the first row. Microsoft is certainly not the creator of moving tab
lines...

The button approach solves this in one single step. I like it.
--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #9

P: n/a
cq*******@volcanomail.com wrote:
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.

Don't worry--the message is posted. :-)

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #10

P: n/a
Thanks Bas, that sounds an interesting concept. I'm a newbie so could you
explain a little more how I'd achieve that? How can you open panes from a
list box?
Thanks
Tony
"Bas Cost Budde" <b.*********@heuvelqop.nl> wrote in message
news:cp**********@news2.solcon.nl...
Tony Williams wrote:
I have a form with a number of tab controls. The tab controls are part of 3 sub forms that are based on different tables.Is it possible to stack the
tabcontrols as say 3 rows of 5 rather than 1 row of 15. With 1 row of 15 the form is either too long for the form or all the tabs are not shown and the user has to click on arrows to view the unseen tabs.


The MultiRow property of the tabcontrol does this.

Consider, however, that tabcontrols with multiple rows cause slight
confusion with users. An alternative solution is to offer all tab
choices in a listbox to the left, and display the correct pane upon
click in the listbox.

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea

Nov 13 '05 #11

P: n/a
Thanks Bas I think that's the way I'll go
Tony
"Bas Cost Budde" <b.*********@heuvelqop.nl> wrote in message
news:cp**********@news2.solcon.nl...
Rick Brandt wrote:
<cq*******@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
When you say that tab controls cause confusion, do you mean that the
confusion is caused by the fact that the active tab control always
moves it's row to the front row? I can't understand why MS has
designed their tab controls to behave like this. Perhaps someone else
can shed some light.


You can use Button format to void that.


Very good Rick! I didn't know that property.

Tony, it is hard to provide accurate visual feedback with a tabcontrol.
The user has the right to know which tab is active, by looking at the
navigation panel. I think you can agree with that.
With tabs, the indication 'active' is done by linking the tab to the
panel. That is close to impossible if the active tab lives on anything
but the first row. Microsoft is certainly not the creator of moving tab
lines...

The button approach solves this in one single step. I like it.
--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea

Nov 13 '05 #12

P: n/a
Tony Williams wrote:
Thanks Bas, that sounds an interesting concept. I'm a newbie so could you
explain a little more how I'd achieve that? How can you open panes from a
list box?


Set the RowSourceType of the listbox to Value list. Type the names of
the tabs as you want them to display, in the order of the tab pages. Set
the tabs on the tabcontrol invisible (Style property).
In the Click event for the listbox, assign the listindex (counting from
0) to the Value of the tabcontrol. Add one if it doesn't match, I can't
find that now.

sub yourListbox_Click()
tabcontrol.value = yourlistbox.listindex
end sub

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #13

P: n/a
"Bas Cost Budde" <b.*********@heuvelqop.nl> wrote in message
news:cp**********@news2.solcon.nl...
Tony Williams wrote:
Thanks Bas, that sounds an interesting concept. I'm a newbie so could you explain a little more how I'd achieve that? How can you open panes from a list box?


Set the RowSourceType of the listbox to Value list. Type the names of
the tabs as you want them to display, in the order of the tab pages. Set
the tabs on the tabcontrol invisible (Style property).
In the Click event for the listbox, assign the listindex (counting from
0) to the Value of the tabcontrol. Add one if it doesn't match, I can't
find that now.

sub yourListbox_Click()
tabcontrol.value = yourlistbox.listindex
end sub


I actually have one app where I place a drop-down list in the main menubar
that changes the TabPage of the main menu and then use "None" as the
TabStyle for the TabControl.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message. Send instead to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com

Nov 13 '05 #14

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.