By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,253 Members | 1,689 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,253 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

random execution of stored procs in ADP

P: n/a
I have see this bug 12 times in the past year. On 3 or 4 different
machines.

1) cut and paste a bunch of sprocs
2) change between query analyzer and Access (using the taskbar)
3) changing back to Access will launch sprocs randomly

I have seen it 12 times and I have gotten nothing but lip.

Test this, diagnose it and fix it Microsoft.
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
aaron kempf wrote:
I have see this bug 12 times in the past year. On 3 or 4 different
machines.

1) cut and paste a bunch of sprocs
2) change between query analyzer and Access (using the taskbar)
3) changing back to Access will launch sprocs randomly

I have seen it 12 times and I have gotten nothing but lip.

Test this, diagnose it and fix it Microsoft.


The purpose of usenet groups such as this is for peer help, users
helping other users and general discussion.

Trying to get MS to fix a bug is best taken up with Microsoft directly.
Ranting in a news group is not the way to go about it.

Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Trev@Work wrote:
aaron kempf wrote:
I have see this bug 12 times in the past year. On 3 or 4 different
machines.
The purpose of usenet groups such as this is for peer help, users
helping other users and general discussion.

Trying to get MS to fix a bug is best taken up with Microsoft directly.
Ranting in a news group is not the way to go about it.

Different formulation could be in order, too.

It may just help to let something out anyway. The nice thing about news
groups is that you can be heard and nobody needs to take offense.
(Sometimes I find it hard to resist the temptation :-) )

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Bas Cost Budde wrote:
Trev@Work wrote:
aaron kempf wrote:
I have see this bug 12 times in the past year. On 3 or 4 different
machines.


The purpose of usenet groups such as this is for peer help, users
helping other users and general discussion.

Trying to get MS to fix a bug is best taken up with Microsoft
directly. Ranting in a news group is not the way to go about it.

Different formulation could be in order, too.

It may just help to let something out anyway. The nice thing about news
groups is that you can be heard and nobody needs to take offense.
(Sometimes I find it hard to resist the temptation :-) )


No offence was taken, just trying to help the guy by steering him in the
right direction.

--
This sig left intentionally blank
Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
Trevor Best wrote:
No offence was taken, just trying to help the guy by steering him in the
right direction.


Oh, I didn't want to suggest you took offense. On the very contrary, I
read a very to the point remark. I find it hard to express that using
just ASCII, you know.

--
Bas Cost Budde, Holland
http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB/msac_index.html
I prefer human mail above automated so in my address
replace the queue with a tea
Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
All I know is that I have contacted Microsoft about this repeatedly;
and they refuse to do anything about it.

It isn't our job to test your products, Microsoft-- your 'QUALITY OF
SERVICE' is entirely unacceptbale.

I have been posting in the Microsoft newsgroup, but they started
censoring me

IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF THAT SPROCS RANDOMLY LAUNCH THEMSELVES AND
MICROSOFT WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

It has to do with switching focus between Query Analyzer and Access.
I have seen it a dozen times on 3 or 4 different machines.

We cannot afford to have such a rinky-dink program interfacing with
OUR MISSION CRITICAL SQL SERVER DATABASES.

FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT

FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT
FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT


Bas Cost Budde <b.*********@heuvelqop.nl> wrote in message news:<co**********@news2.solcon.nl>...
Trevor Best wrote:
No offence was taken, just trying to help the guy by steering him in the
right direction.


Oh, I didn't want to suggest you took offense. On the very contrary, I
read a very to the point remark. I find it hard to express that using
just ASCII, you know.

Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a
aaron kempf wrote:
All I know is that I have contacted Microsoft about this repeatedly;
and they refuse to do anything about it.

It isn't our job to test your products, Microsoft-- your 'QUALITY OF
SERVICE' is entirely unacceptbale.

I have been posting in the Microsoft newsgroup, but they started
censoring me

IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF THAT SPROCS RANDOMLY LAUNCH THEMSELVES AND
MICROSOFT WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

It has to do with switching focus between Query Analyzer and Access.
I have seen it a dozen times on 3 or 4 different machines.

We cannot afford to have such a rinky-dink program interfacing with
OUR MISSION CRITICAL SQL SERVER DATABASES.

FIX YOUR PRODUCTS, MICROSOFT


[snip]

What was it you wanted MS to do again? <g>

I use Query Analyser to write stored procedures, just use the object
browser in the left hand pane, brwose to the SPs in whatever database,
right click and select "Edit". I've not used ADPs but used to use EM for
the procs but got fed up with the way that...

a) Stored procedure editor is modal so if you want to look at a
table/view you had to open another instance of EM and
b) The tab stops were hard set at 8 characters, I couldn't find a way to
change it like you can in QA.

It takes a bit of getting used to in that you have to press the play
button to save the proc (as it's an "Alter Procedure" statement) instead
of hitting a save button, which would just save a script somewhere on
your hard disk (defaulting to "My Documents", where everyone wants to
save SQL scripts >-) :rolleyes:)

For something that looks a bit like Notepad on steroids, Query Analyser
has got to be one of the most versitile applications around.

--
This sig left intentionally blank
Nov 13 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.