By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,720 Members | 2,135 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,720 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Corrupt DB

P: n/a
Major fiasco on my hands here. I was in the middle of updating a record
when the system halted, and the Access DB became non responsive. Eventually
I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the application. When I tried to open the DB
again, the file has become corrupt and I get the error message "The
Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the object "Databases". I
understand a database can become corrupt during an interrupted write to a
table but is there any way I can get this database open again? I have tried
the following.

- Tried to compact and repair. Failed. Same error message appears.
- Tried importing objects into a blank DB. Failed. Same error message.
- Tried using jetcomp utility. Failed. Error message.

Access is in Access 2002 format and I was using Access 2003 for processing.
Anyone know what I can do to recover this db? I have a backup from two days
ago however I do not want to lose two days of work.

Thanks.
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
"Big Time" <bi************@remove-for-spam-hotmail.com> wrote:
Major fiasco on my hands here. I was in the middle of updating a record
when the system halted, and the Access DB became non responsive. Eventually
I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the application. When I tried to open the DB
again, the file has become corrupt and I get the error message "The
Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the object "Databases". I
understand a database can become corrupt during an interrupted write to a
table but is there any way I can get this database open again? I have tried
the following.

- Tried to compact and repair. Failed. Same error message appears.
- Tried importing objects into a blank DB. Failed. Same error message.
- Tried using jetcomp utility. Failed. Error message.


You've done the basics but there are a few more things you can try at the Corruptions
FAQ. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
You might want to try Digital DBA
(http://www.kzsoftware.com/products/digitaldba), which monitors your
database for corruption and automatically repairs it. It can also do
other database administration tasks like nightly backup, compact, and
repair.

Tony Toews wrote:
"Big Time" <bi************@remove-for-spam-hotmail.com> wrote:
Major fiasco on my hands here. I was in the middle of updating a recordwhen the system halted, and the Access DB became non responsive. EventuallyI had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the application. When I tried to open the DBagain, the file has become corrupt and I get the error message "The
Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the object "Databases". I
understand a database can become corrupt during an interrupted write to atable but is there any way I can get this database open again? I have triedthe following.

- Tried to compact and repair. Failed. Same error message appears.
- Tried importing objects into a blank DB. Failed. Same error message.- Tried using jetcomp utility. Failed. Error message.
You've done the basics but there are a few more things you can try at

the Corruptions FAQ. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm


Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a

Tony Toews wrote:
"Big Time" <bi************@remove-for-spam-hotmail.com> wrote:
Major fiasco on my hands here. I was in the middle of updating a recordwhen the system halted, and the Access DB became non responsive. EventuallyI had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the application. When I tried to open the DBagain, the file has become corrupt and I get the error message "The
Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the object "Databases". I
understand a database can become corrupt during an interrupted write to atable but is there any way I can get this database open again? I have triedthe following.

- Tried to compact and repair. Failed. Same error message appears.
- Tried importing objects into a blank DB. Failed. Same error message.- Tried using jetcomp utility. Failed. Error message.
You've done the basics but there are a few more things you can try at

the Corruptions FAQ. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm


Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
ro*******@aol.com wrote:
You might want to try Digital DBA
(http://www.kzsoftware.com/products/digitaldba), which monitors your
database for corruption and automatically repairs it. It can also do
other database administration tasks like nightly backup, compact, and
repair.


Ah, a competitor to FMS and all the other similar products out there.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Nov 13 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.