By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,392 Members | 1,556 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,392 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Union Query returns hieroplyphics?????HELP!

P: n/a
We’ve recently upgraded our computer system to XP. My union
query (which was working perfectly for years) now returns
hieroglyphics instead of invoice numbers. When I run the 2 queries
separately (of which the Union query is made up of) they return
numbers perfectly. Can you please help?

The Union Query looks like this:

SELECT * FROM [Query1] UNION SELECT * FROM [Query2];

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
Union queries only work right if the columns are in exactly the same order in
both queries. Change one, and not the other, and you have a mess. That's
probably what it is.

Alternatively, you could simply have a corrupted database. Try repair and
compact.

On 25 May 2004 14:37:07 -0700, zh****@hotmail.com (Missy) wrote:
We’ve recently upgraded our computer system to XP. My union
query (which was working perfectly for years) now returns
hieroglyphics instead of invoice numbers. When I run the 2 queries
separately (of which the Union query is made up of) they return
numbers perfectly. Can you please help?

The Union Query looks like this:

SELECT * FROM [Query1] UNION SELECT * FROM [Query2];

Any help will be greatly appreciated.


Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
Missy,
We’ve recently upgraded our computer system to XP. My union
query (which was working perfectly for years) now returns
hieroglyphics instead of invoice numbers. When I run the 2 queries
separately (of which the Union query is made up of) they return
numbers perfectly. Can you please help?

The Union Query looks like this:

SELECT * FROM [Query1] UNION SELECT * FROM [Query2];

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a corrupt database.

Eventually - if you have linked the tables from a backend database to
a frontend database - you have to reestablish the link. Just delete it
an link the tables once more.

Regards

Thilo Immel
Access Repair Service www.atroplan.de
Freeware: Access Memory Reporter 1.0, shows the amount of memory used
by tables and indexes.
Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Steve Jorgensen <no****@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:<k9********************************@4ax.com>. ..
Union queries only work right if the columns are in exactly the same order in
both queries. Change one, and not the other, and you have a mess. That's
probably what it is.

Alternatively, you could simply have a corrupted database. Try repair and
compact.

On 25 May 2004 14:37:07 -0700, zh****@hotmail.com (Missy) wrote:
We’ve recently upgraded our computer system to XP. My union
query (which was working perfectly for years) now returns
hieroglyphics instead of invoice numbers. When I run the 2 queries
separately (of which the Union query is made up of) they return
numbers perfectly. Can you please help?

The Union Query looks like this:

SELECT * FROM [Query1] UNION SELECT * FROM [Query2];

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Steve for your feedback.
I compacted and repaired the database which still didn't fix the
problem. However on very close investigation - I noticed that for
some unknown reason 2 of the fields were renaming themselves. So I
started from scratch and relinked the tables. Which now seems to
work.

Once Again Thank you kindly
Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
Thilo Immel <Ac******@web.de> wrote in message news:<4e********************************@4ax.com>. ..
Missy,
We’ve recently upgraded our computer system to XP. My union
query (which was working perfectly for years) now returns
hieroglyphics instead of invoice numbers. When I run the 2 queries
separately (of which the Union query is made up of) they return
numbers perfectly. Can you please help?

The Union Query looks like this:

SELECT * FROM [Query1] UNION SELECT * FROM [Query2];

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a corrupt database.

Eventually - if you have linked the tables from a backend database to
a frontend database - you have to reestablish the link. Just delete it
an link the tables once more.

Regards


Thilo Immel
Access Repair Service www.atroplan.de
Freeware: Access Memory Reporter 1.0, shows the amount of memory used
by tables and indexes.

Thank you Thilo for your feedback.
I compacted and repaired the database which still didn't fix the
problem. However on very close investigation - I noticed that for
some unknown reason 2 of the fields were renaming themselves. So I
started from scratch and relinked the tables. Which now seems to
work.

Once Again Thank you kindly
Nov 13 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.