By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,510 Members | 1,477 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,510 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

A2K - reports not opening correctly on one pc

P: n/a
I have a reports form, frmReports where users can select a report and then
click Open.

On just one machine I have this problem; the report opens very quickly
(though I only see a flash of something, this happens so quickly I don't see
the actual data or any formatting) and then it goes back to frmReports.
Therefore my chosen report does not open. One report works ok - I can't see
why this is.

Here's how it's all organised;

Each report is opened like so;

stDocName = "rptMyReport"
Me.Visible = False 'this hides frmReports
DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
Each report runs Docmd.Maximize in the Open event after some other code (not
the cause of the problem).
Finally In the close event of each report we have;

Private Sub Report_Close()
DoCmd.Restore
Forms!frmReports.Visible = True
End Sub

The mde I supplied works fine on other pcs including my own. The problem
still happened when the user upgraded to a new pc. So the common factor
would seem to be the printer and/or printer driver. Beyond that I can't
fathom this out. It's tricky for me to test the pc so the more info I have
before I go in the better.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Martin

Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
Ben
Make sure a printer is installed on the computer that you are trying it on (and a default is set)

I had this problem once and came to the conclusion that access cannot preview a report if no printers are installed.

hope this helps

Ben

Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ben wrote:
Make sure a printer is installed on the computer that you are trying
it on (and a default is set)

I had this problem once and came to the conclusion that access cannot
preview a report if no printers are installed.

hope this helps

Ben


That's certainly true but the user does have a printer installed. It's just
very weird, particularly as one report DOES preview ok.
Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
Ben
Perhaps the report has unknowingly been set up to use a specific printer (which doesnt exist).

Select the report that doesnt work from the database window

Go FILE->PAGE SETUP
Go to the Page Tab
Make sure default printer tab is selected as oppose to the use Specific Printer

Failing that, try a compact and repair on the database

Hope this helps too

Ben


Nov 12 '05 #4

P: n/a
Ben wrote:
Perhaps the report has unknowingly been set up to use a specific
printer (which doesnt exist).

Select the report that doesnt work from the database window

Go FILE->PAGE SETUP
Go to the Page Tab
Make sure default printer tab is selected as oppose to the use
Specific Printer

Failing that, try a compact and repair on the database

Hope this helps too

Ben


Thanks for replying. I hope it sorts it too but I'm not hopeful! Just
extraordinary behaviour and I wish I knew what was causing it. I might take
a laptop with a copy of the db and hook it up to the printer, see if it
plays up, then troubleshoot from there.
Nov 12 '05 #5

P: n/a
Deano wrote:
I have a reports form, frmReports where users can select a report and
then click Open.

On just one machine I have this problem; the report opens very quickly
(though I only see a flash of something, this happens so quickly I
don't see the actual data or any formatting) and then it goes back to
frmReports. Therefore my chosen report does not open. One report
works ok - I can't see why this is.

<code snipped>
OK, just answering my own problem for the record. Turns out it was
completely unrelated to report issues/printers/drivers etc. Just had some
bad data (one table had lost it's records) which meant the reports couldn't
complete - there's no logical reason for this to have happened though there
were a few upgrades in which the error could have been introduced . The
other report that could be viewed did not depend on this table.

Took me 4 hours at the user's pc with my laptop to work this out (:
Nov 12 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.