By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,660 Members | 1,579 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,660 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Microsoft Access license to distribute runtime components

P: n/a
What kind of licensing is needed to be able to use the Microsoft Access product
and distribute the applications? In other words, what version of Microsoft Access
does a developer need to buy in order to allow distribution of the runtime components
without incurring any additional license fees per installation of the runtime?

Has this changed very much over the versions of MS Access (especially since Access 2.0)?

- Larry Weiss
Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
The developer's edition includes the royalty-free MS Access distribution
licence.

It's essentially the same thing as use to be called the Access Developers
Toolkit back in the Access 2 days.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"Larry__Weiss" <lf*@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:3F***************@airmail.net...
What kind of licensing is needed to be able to use the Microsoft Access product and distribute the applications? In other words, what version of Microsoft Access does a developer need to buy in order to allow distribution of the runtime components without incurring any additional license fees per installation of the runtime?
Has this changed very much over the versions of MS Access (especially since Access 2.0)?
- Larry Weiss

Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
And for Office 2003, though there's no Developer Edition, Runtime support
and licensing is in a product called "Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003
System" which also includes VB.NET and C# which can be used instead of VBA
with Word and Excel, but not with Access.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

"Allen Browne" <Al*********@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
news:3f**********************@freenews.iinet.net.a u...
The developer's edition includes the royalty-free MS Access distribution
licence.

It's essentially the same thing as use to be called the Access Developers
Toolkit back in the Access 2 days.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

"Larry__Weiss" <lf*@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:3F***************@airmail.net...
What kind of licensing is needed to be able to use the Microsoft Access product
and distribute the applications? In other words, what version of

Microsoft Access
does a developer need to buy in order to allow distribution of the
runtime components
without incurring any additional license fees per installation of the

runtime?

Has this changed very much over the versions of MS Access (especially

since Access 2.0)?

- Larry Weiss


Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
TC
Save yourself a ton of grief, and say: "Everyone using this product must
have an existing, working copy of Microsoft Access versions x, y or z on
their PC".

Whole third-party industries have grown up to get the Access runtime
installations to work correctly in the real world!

Just my 2c,
TC
"Larry__Weiss" <lf*@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:3F***************@airmail.net...
What kind of licensing is needed to be able to use the Microsoft Access product and distribute the applications? In other words, what version of Microsoft Access does a developer need to buy in order to allow distribution of the runtime components without incurring any additional license fees per installation of the runtime?
Has this changed very much over the versions of MS Access (especially since Access 2.0)?
- Larry Weiss

Nov 12 '05 #4

P: n/a
"TC" <a@b.c.d> wrote:
Save yourself a ton of grief, and say: "Everyone using this product must
have an existing, working copy of Microsoft Access versions x, y or z on
their PC".

Whole third-party industries have grown up to get the Access runtime
installations to work correctly in the real world!


Good point although Sagekey takes care of pretty much all of these kinds of problems.
More money to be spent by the client of course.

For the original poster see my Microsoft Access ODE or MOD Runtime Installation
Troubles Tips page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/runtime.htm on this topic.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Nov 12 '05 #5

P: n/a
In article <6v********************************@4ax.com>
Tony Toews <tt****@telusplanet.net> wrote:

"TC" <a@b.c.d> wrote:
Save yourself a ton of grief, and say: "Everyone using this product must
have an existing, working copy of Microsoft Access versions x, y or z on
their PC".

Whole third-party industries have grown up to get the Access runtime
installations to work correctly in the real world!
Good point although Sagekey takes care of pretty much all of these kinds of problems.
More money to be spent by the client of course.

For the original poster see my Microsoft Access ODE or MOD Runtime Installation
Troubles Tips page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/runtime.htm on this topic.

Tony


Not to knock your solid solutions, Tony, but my ODE / MOD runtime examples
are quite helpful also -- see at:
http://www.nero-online.org/lastmeasure








-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.








Nov 12 '05 #6

P: n/a
An****************@See.Comment.Header (Ibrahim al Tikriti) wrote:
Not to knock your solid solutions, Tony, but my ODE / MOD runtime examples
are quite helpful also -- see at:


Do not click on the above URL.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Nov 12 '05 #7

P: n/a
"Ibrahim al Tikriti" wrote
Not to knock your solid solutions,
Tony, but my ODE / MOD runtime
examples . . .


Ibrahim, you'd better run -- they got your leader yesterday and he's singing
like a bird about where you guys are.
Nov 12 '05 #8

P: n/a
"Larry Linson" <bo*****@localhost.not> wrote:
"Ibrahim al Tikriti" wrote
Not to knock your solid solutions,
Tony, but my ODE / MOD runtime
examples . . .


Ibrahim, you'd better run -- they got your leader yesterday and he's singing
like a bird about where you guys are.


Not even Saddam would stoop as low as DPM.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
read the entire thread of messages.
Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Nov 12 '05 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.