By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,687 Members | 1,989 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,687 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Copy/Print text form memo field?

P: n/a
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to
accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.

Thanks for any help,

ShyGuy
Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo text
box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of your
text. You then do not have to make a large text box.
Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:hu********************************@4ax.com...
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to
accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.

Thanks for any help,

ShyGuy

Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-)
I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard.

ShyGuy

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo text
box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of your
text. You then do not have to make a large text box.
Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:hu********************************@4ax.com.. .
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to
accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.

Thanks for any help,

ShyGuy


Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
I am missing something. May I ask your reason for wanting to copy to the
clipboard? If all you want to do is print out the text in the memo field,
simply build a report with a memo-text box (as I thought you did) off the
table containing the memo field data. Then print the report. You do not
have to copy to the clipboard to do this in MS Access.
Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:ra********************************@4ax.com...
Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-)
I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard.

ShyGuy

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo textbox on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of yourtext. You then do not have to make a large text box.
Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:hu********************************@4ax.com.. .
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to
accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.

Thanks for any help,

ShyGuy

Nov 12 '05 #4

P: n/a
If you must copy the contents of your memo text box on your form to the
clipboard, try this: On your "Copy" button's On Click event, attach the
following code:
DoCmd.GoToControl "place the name of your memo field between these
quotes"
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
The text from the memo field for the current form will be in your clipboard.

I hope this helps:~)

Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:ra********************************@4ax.com...
Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-)
I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard.

ShyGuy

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo textbox on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of yourtext. You then do not have to make a large text box.
Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:hu********************************@4ax.com.. .
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to
accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.

Thanks for any help,

ShyGuy

Nov 12 '05 #5

P: n/a
Your error message would be likely if you are attaching the code to the text
box or somewhere else. Be sure you are attaching the code to the "On Click"
event of the Copy button's properties. What version of MS Access are you
using? I have made up a sample DB you can look at if you wish. I must,
however, e-mail it to your personal e-mail address. Let me know. My
database is for either Access 2000 or XP (2002).

Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:cu********************************@4ax.com...
Thanks for tge reply,

Sorry for not being more clear in my massage. I want to be able to
print the contents of the Memo field, but I alsoI want to be able to
copy and paste the data into onother app, like word or Notepad etc.

I have the printing part done, but still can't get the copy to work.

I tried your suggestion but get an error message that 'the command or
action 'Copy' isn't available now."

I tired later but it still wasn't available. (bat attempt at humour)
;-)

ShyGuy

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:22:11 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
If you must copy the contents of your memo text box on your form to the
clipboard, try this: On your "Copy" button's On Click event, attach the
following code:
DoCmd.GoToControl "place the name of your memo field between thesequotes"
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
The text from the memo field for the current form will be in your clipboard.
I hope this helps:~)

Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:ra********************************@4ax.com.. .
Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-)
I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard.

ShyGuy

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo

text
>box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of

your
>text. You then do not have to make a large text box.
>Denny G.
>
>
>"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
>news:hu********************************@4ax.com.. .
>> I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
>> Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
>> allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
>> it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to >> accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> ShyGuy
>

Nov 12 '05 #6

P: n/a
I have the code attached to the Copy buttons "On Click" event, as you
suggested in your previous post. I am using Xp and the Database is
Access 2000 format.

My email is Ta************@yahoo.com. I would like to take a look at
that sample.

Thanks again,
ShyGuy

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:51:32 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
Your error message would be likely if you are attaching the code to the text
box or somewhere else. Be sure you are attaching the code to the "On Click"
event of the Copy button's properties. What version of MS Access are you
using? I have made up a sample DB you can look at if you wish. I must,
however, e-mail it to your personal e-mail address. Let me know. My
database is for either Access 2000 or XP (2002).

Denny G.
"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
news:cu********************************@4ax.com.. .
Thanks for tge reply,

Sorry for not being more clear in my massage. I want to be able to
print the contents of the Memo field, but I alsoI want to be able to
copy and paste the data into onother app, like word or Notepad etc.

I have the printing part done, but still can't get the copy to work.

I tried your suggestion but get an error message that 'the command or
action 'Copy' isn't available now."

I tired later but it still wasn't available. (bat attempt at humour)
;-)

ShyGuy

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:22:11 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
wrote:
>If you must copy the contents of your memo text box on your form to the
>clipboard, try this: On your "Copy" button's On Click event, attach the
>following code:
> DoCmd.GoToControl "place the name of your memo field betweenthese >quotes"
> DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
>The text from the memo field for the current form will be in yourclipboard. >
>I hope this helps:~)
>
>Denny G.
>
>
>"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
>news:ra********************************@4ax.com.. .
>> Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-)
>> I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard.
>>
>> ShyGuy
>>
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <gi*****@adelphia.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo
>text
>> >box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of
>your
>> >text. You then do not have to make a large text box.
>> >Denny G.
>> >
>> >
>> >"Shyguy" <Sh****@shytown.com> wrote in message
>> >news:hu********************************@4ax.com.. .
>> >> I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to
>> >> Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would
>> >> allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and
>> >> it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text boxto >> >> accommodate memo fields with a lot of text.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks for any help,
>> >>
>> >> ShyGuy
>> >
>>
>


Nov 12 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.