473,544 Members | 1,923 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Thinking of upgrading runtime from Access 97, but which version to get?

ARC
Hello All,

I have a major application for quoting and invoicing that is written in
Access 97 (both front and back ends). I have a user base of over 300
customers, and currently I don't require that they have Access 97, as I use
the access 97 runtime scripts from Sagekey software. The main problems I've
seen with Access 97 are the built in e-mail support for sending reports.
Unless a user uses the MS Outlook 2000/XP method, they have to go with
either an .RTF (which doesn't include graphics), or a Snapshot (which they
don't like to do).

After catching up with some of the posts here, it sounds like the .RTF issue
still exists in Access 2003. This is ok, as long as 2003 will finally
support the use of Outlook Express, using your own defined attachments, and
not requiring a full copy of Outlook 2000/XP or later, for attachments. I
guess I really have 3 options:

1) Stick with Access 97, and buy the updated Access 97 runtime scripts from
Sagekey that now supports Windows Vista installs. Buy an e-mail add-in
program that supports build in e-mails, .pdf attachments, etc.

2) Buy Office Developer 2003 (not sure thist can still be purchased
anywhere), and new Access 2003 runtime scripts.

3) Buy the latest Office Developer 2007.

I do believe the e-mail handling, with lack of attachments such as .pdf or
..xls, in the default ms mapi functions, is the big drawback of access 97.
The positives of staying with 97 would be the reduced size of the download,
and possibly faster running speed of 97 (as Microsoft software evolves, it
generally requires faster hardware, etc.)

I'm sure I'm missing many key features that have been added to the 2003 and
2007 versions of office, but it's really hard to find a link comparing the
feature sets of all versions of office. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Many, many thanks!

Andy
May 8 '07 #1
14 2756
ARC wrote:
Hello All,

I have a major application for quoting and invoicing that is written
in Access 97 (both front and back ends). I have a user base of over
300 customers, and currently I don't require that they have Access
97, as I use the access 97 runtime scripts from Sagekey software. The
main problems I've seen with Access 97 are the built in e-mail
support for sending reports. Unless a user uses the MS Outlook
2000/XP method, they have to go with either an .RTF (which doesn't
include graphics), or a Snapshot (which they don't like to do).

After catching up with some of the posts here, it sounds like the
.RTF issue still exists in Access 2003. This is ok, as long as 2003
will finally support the use of Outlook Express, using your own
defined attachments, and not requiring a full copy of Outlook 2000/XP
or later, for attachments. I guess I really have 3 options:

1) Stick with Access 97, and buy the updated Access 97 runtime
scripts from Sagekey that now supports Windows Vista installs. Buy an
e-mail add-in program that supports build in e-mails, .pdf
attachments, etc.
2) Buy Office Developer 2003 (not sure thist can still be purchased
anywhere), and new Access 2003 runtime scripts.

3) Buy the latest Office Developer 2007.

I do believe the e-mail handling, with lack of attachments such as
.pdf or .xls, in the default ms mapi functions, is the big drawback
of access 97. The positives of staying with 97 would be the reduced
size of the download, and possibly faster running speed of 97 (as
Microsoft software evolves, it generally requires faster hardware,
etc.)
I'm sure I'm missing many key features that have been added to the
2003 and 2007 versions of office, but it's really hard to find a link
comparing the feature sets of all versions of office. Can anyone
offer suggestions?
Many, many thanks!
There might be many reasons to upgrade (as well as some not to), but the
Email issues you describe have not changed much at all and will be no better
unless you go all the way to Access 2007.

There is a download you can add to Office 2007 that is supposed to provide
native PDF creation. I don't have any first hand knowledge of how that
works particularly as it pertains to generating them as Email attachments
though.

You can use ANY messaging library that can be automated from VBA code.
Unfortunately that rules out Outlook Express as it never has supported that
well (if at all). The problems with Outlook Express have always been an
issue with Outlook Express itself, not the version of Access you are using.
--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
May 8 '07 #2
On May 8, 3:47 pm, "Rick Brandt" <rickbran...@ho tmail.comwrote:
ARC wrote:
Hello All,
I have a major application for quoting and invoicing that is written
in Access 97 (both front and back ends). I have a user base of over
300 customers, and currently I don't require that they have Access
97, as I use the access 97 runtime scripts from Sagekey software. The
main problems I've seen with Access 97 are the built in e-mail
support for sending reports. Unless a user uses the MS Outlook
2000/XP method, they have to go with either an .RTF (which doesn't
include graphics), or a Snapshot (which they don't like to do).
After catching up with some of the posts here, it sounds like the
.RTF issue still exists in Access 2003. This is ok, as long as 2003
will finally support the use of Outlook Express, using your own
defined attachments, and not requiring a full copy of Outlook 2000/XP
or later, for attachments. I guess I really have 3 options:
1) Stick with Access 97, and buy the updated Access 97 runtime
scripts from Sagekey that now supports Windows Vista installs. Buy an
e-mail add-in program that supports build in e-mails, .pdf
attachments, etc.
2) Buy Office Developer 2003 (not sure thist can still be purchased
anywhere), and new Access 2003 runtime scripts.
3) Buy the latest Office Developer 2007.
I do believe the e-mail handling, with lack of attachments such as
.pdf or .xls, in the default ms mapi functions, is the big drawback
of access 97. The positives of staying with 97 would be the reduced
size of the download, and possibly faster running speed of 97 (as
Microsoft software evolves, it generally requires faster hardware,
etc.)
I'm sure I'm missing many key features that have been added to the
2003 and 2007 versions of office, but it's really hard to find a link
comparing the feature sets of all versions of office. Can anyone
offer suggestions?
Many, many thanks!

There might be many reasons to upgrade (as well as some not to), but the
Email issues you describe have not changed much at all and will be no better
unless you go all the way to Access 2007.

There is a download you can add to Office 2007 that is supposed to provide
native PDF creation. I don't have any first hand knowledge of how that
works particularly as it pertains to generating them as Email attachments
though.

You can use ANY messaging library that can be automated from VBA code.
Unfortunately that rules out Outlook Express as it never has supported that
well (if at all). The problems with Outlook Express have always been an
issue with Outlook Express itself, not the version of Access you are using.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
I have a client that uses OutLook Express and Netscape for email ...
and I've had no trouble using Outlook Express although I have had
problems sending email from Access via Netscape (Netscape "hangs").
The only real problem is that the IT people keep changing the default
email handler to Netscape whenever they do an upgrade on a client's
machine. :(

I've had no problems using Thunderbird as the default Email handler.

May 8 '07 #3
ARC
Many thanks for both replies, and sorry for the double-post. For whatever
reason, over 1/2 hour passed and my orginal post had not appeared yet.

Hmmm...not sure where to go from here. As for me, I can get access 97 to
e-mail using outlook express. This is because this computer has been
upgraded many times and it did have the full Outlook 97/98 mapi. For some
reason if you had full outlook loaded, then set your mail handler to
express, access would then support e-mailing in express. However the problem
still exists of not allowing you to define additional attachments.

What to do...Does anyone know of a good link that compares the features of
the various versions of access? I need more to base my decision on then just
the e-mail issue.

Also, does anyone know of a good self-contined e-mail client that allws for
..pdf create, and is distributable? I know if one from the Total Access
folks, but at around $500, it is too pricey for me.

Thanks again,
Andy
May 8 '07 #4
JustListenen wrote:
I have a client that uses OutLook Express and Netscape for email ...
and I've had no trouble using Outlook Express although I have had
problems sending email from Access via Netscape (Netscape "hangs").
The only real problem is that the IT people keep changing the default
email handler to Netscape whenever they do an upgrade on a client's
machine. :(

I've had no problems using Thunderbird as the default Email handler.
Sure, as the default MAPI client for SendObect. For attaching multiple and/or
external files though you cannot use SendObject. I was operating from the
impression that the OP is not using SendObject, but rather automation code.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com

May 8 '07 #5
ARC wrote:
Many thanks for both replies, and sorry for the double-post. For
whatever reason, over 1/2 hour passed and my orginal post had not
appeared yet.
Hmmm...not sure where to go from here. As for me, I can get access 97
to e-mail using outlook express. This is because this computer has
been upgraded many times and it did have the full Outlook 97/98 mapi.
For some reason if you had full outlook loaded, then set your mail
handler to express, access would then support e-mailing in express.
However the problem still exists of not allowing you to define
additional attachments.
I don't understand. You can use Outlook Express as the client for SendObject()
and that would NEVER require that any version of Outlook to be installed. They
have nothing to do with each other. However; you can also never have multiple
attachments when using SendObject(). That has been and continues to be a
limitation of SendObject() (in all versions);
What to do...Does anyone know of a good link that compares the
features of the various versions of access? I need more to base my
decision on then just the e-mail issue.
Also, does anyone know of a good self-contined e-mail client that
allws for .pdf create, and is distributable? I know if one from the
Total Access folks, but at around $500, it is too pricey for me.
I have heard of tools that create PDF files, but not any Email clients that do.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
May 8 '07 #6
If your 97 Runtime app uses Help files, they won't work on Vista.

May 9 '07 #7
Mark1234567 wrote:
If your 97 Runtime app uses Help files, they won't work on Vista.
I'll make the opening bet in the pool.

Three years before a user notices :-)

I consider the time I spent on the one comprehensive help file that I created
for one of my earlier apps to have been a complete total waste of effort. I
have zero evidence that anyone has ever opened it and that is after 5 years in
use by 300 people.

I'm ecstatic when a user actually reads an error message.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
May 9 '07 #8
ARC
I've heard a user mentioning that the help wasn't working... And, like you,
I spent countless hours on a good help file, with lots of keywords!! In
fact, for support e-mails, I frequently direct them to type in keywords into
the help file system...heyhey

So the WinHelp32.exe doesn't work on Vista? I used the WinHelpDesigner Pro
software, is there a replacement that does work on vista?

Good old Vista, I'm starting to get more of a kick out of the Mac / PC
commercials that dog vista... I believe they have merit, but do know that my
bread and butter is mr. pc.
"Mark123456 7" <Au************ @gmail.comwrote in message
news:11******** **************@ n59g2000hsh.goo glegroups.com.. .
If your 97 Runtime app uses Help files, they won't work on Vista.

May 9 '07 #9
Rick Brandt wrote:
I'm ecstatic when a user actually reads an error message.
8) 8) 8) 8)

I'm sooooooo glad I'm not the only one out there with such
sentiments.... 8)

--
Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<
/#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake
/^^ "Be Careful, Big Bird!" - Ditto "TIM-MAY!!" - Me
May 9 '07 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

13
2622
by: Noesis Strategy | last post by:
When I ordered my new laptop, Sony didn't offer Access 2003 in its bundles. Recently, I have begun to design Access databases using an copy of Access 2002 from my previous laptop. It works fine, but I would like to have all the office apps on the same version. So I have a few questions: 1) Is the file format the same as 2002? Can 2002...
11
1906
by: Aidan Tobin | last post by:
Hi, I have to upgrade a number of databases from Access 2.0, Access 97 and Access 2000 to work in Office 2003. These databases contain a number of Forms coded with VBA as well as a number of Queries/Macros. The Microsoft web site says that Office 2003 will open databases created in these versions. However i have in the past upgraded...
2
1806
by: Lauren Wilson | last post by:
Hi Folks, I have a widely distributed Access 200 Application. I must retain my ability to support users who are still on Access 2000 and Access 2000 Runtime. However I also need to upgrade my development environment to Office 2003 Professional. My question is: Where can I find a comprehensive description of the known issues that will...
4
1789
by: james | last post by:
I upgraded my 2002 project to 2003 and I am getting several of there errors on my forms xxxForm.resx Resource transformation for file 'xxxForm.resx' failed. Possible Version mismatch. Type System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo has 38 members, number of members deserialized is 35. Now, when I open the .resx files I do not find any...
17
2042
by: Owen Jenkins | last post by:
I have an Access application that is being used by 150+ clients. I develop in 97, convert to 2000 and distribute as a 97 or 2000 mde, or 97 runtime. This limits me to 97 functions. My clients may use any one of Access 97, 2000, 2002, 2003 or 97 runtime. So that I'm not lingering too far behind, I'm thinking of developing in 2003, using 2000...
14
1479
by: saunderl | last post by:
Hello Everyone, I'm a lead developer of a ASP.Net site. We have over 150 "applications" running at our site. Each application is a "Solution" in VS. When we roll to test and production, the main dlls are rolled to the sites single bin directory and the aspx, asmx etc files are rolled to various folders on the server. Now with ASP.Net...
2
2241
by: Ian Baker | last post by:
We have developed an Access/Jet database (2000, XP & 2003 versions) that has been used by clients all around the world for several years and is extremely robust with 55 tables, 172 hard stored queries (plus about the same in VBA SQL code), 60 forms and about 18,000 lines of code. The biggest advantage with Access is that it doesn't cost the...
3
2248
by: ARC | last post by:
Hello All, I have a major application for quoting and invoicing that is written in Access 97 (both front and back ends). I have a user base of over 300 customers, and currently I don't require that they have Access 97, as I use the access 97 runtime scripts from Sagekey software. The main problems I've seen with Access 97 are the built in...
6
4217
by: SMcK | last post by:
I have a PDA-based (Syware Visual CE) database which I need to sync to an Access database. The Access database contains three tables: 1 is the data itself, 2 is a linked table that prefills several fields in the main data table based on the value of one of it's fields, and 3 is table the PDA database creates to sync cases. I've been using...
0
7452
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
0
7387
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7798
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7405
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
5956
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5316
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
3436
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
1862
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
1
1004
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.