473,884 Members | 2,415 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Access not showing image on the form just the filename

Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.

Jun 13 '06 #1
7 10183
What kind of Control are you using? If it is a Bound or Unbound OLE Frame,
then you need to look also at what program is registered for the type of
image file, because that is what does the displaying in OLE Frames.

The sample imaging databases at http://accdevel.tripod.com illustrate three
approaches to handling images in Access, and the download includes an
article discussing considerations in choosing an approach. Two of the
approaches do not use OLE Objects and, thus, avoid the database bloat, and
some other problems, associated with images in OLE Objects.

If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you
should also see MVP Stephen Lebans' http://www.lebans.com/printfailures.htm.
PrintFailure.zi p is an Access97 MDB containing a report that fails during
the Access formatting process prior to being spooled to the Printer Driver.
This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the Image
control to a Bitmap file prior to printing. This helps alleviate the "Out of
Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP
<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@y 43g2000cwc.goog legroups.com...
Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.

Jun 13 '06 #2
But why would I be able to see the image if another version of Access
inserted the image? It only blows up when the newer version inserts
the image.

Larry Linson wrote:
What kind of Control are you using? If it is a Bound or Unbound OLE Frame,
then you need to look also at what program is registered for the type of
image file, because that is what does the displaying in OLE Frames.

The sample imaging databases at http://accdevel.tripod.com illustrate three
approaches to handling images in Access, and the download includes an
article discussing considerations in choosing an approach. Two of the
approaches do not use OLE Objects and, thus, avoid the database bloat, and
some other problems, associated with images in OLE Objects.

If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you
should also see MVP Stephen Lebans' http://www.lebans.com/printfailures.htm.
PrintFailure.zi p is an Access97 MDB containing a report that fails during
the Access formatting process prior to being spooled to the Printer Driver.
This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the Image
control to a Bitmap file prior to printing. This helps alleviate the "Out of
Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP
<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@y 43g2000cwc.goog legroups.com...
Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.


Jun 14 '06 #3
Is the very same program registered to be automatically used for that image
file type on the computer that has the newer version of Access? One of the
points was that it is not just Access that you are dealing with, but the
image processing/display software that is registered for the image type.

Still, you did not answer my question. We ask questions to try to get enough
information to be of help. It makes a difference _how_ you are trying to
display the image. We do our best, here, to answer specific questions, but a
newsgroup isn't suitable for a lengthy tutorial on image handling -- that is
why I created the examples I referenced, and why others have created
examples of both similar and different approaches.

Now, you say "blows up" but seems, before, you said "just shows the text of
the filename." There's quite a difference between those, in my view.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@f 6g2000cwb.googl egroups.com...
But why would I be able to see the image if another version of Access
inserted the image? It only blows up when the newer version inserts
the image.

Larry Linson wrote:
What kind of Control are you using? If it is a Bound or Unbound OLE
Frame,
then you need to look also at what program is registered for the type of
image file, because that is what does the displaying in OLE Frames.

The sample imaging databases at http://accdevel.tripod.com illustrate
three
approaches to handling images in Access, and the download includes an
article discussing considerations in choosing an approach. Two of the
approaches do not use OLE Objects and, thus, avoid the database bloat,
and
some other problems, associated with images in OLE Objects.

If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you
should also see MVP Stephen Lebans'
http://www.lebans.com/printfailures.htm.
PrintFailure.zi p is an Access97 MDB containing a report that fails during
the Access formatting process prior to being spooled to the Printer
Driver.
This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the
Image
control to a Bitmap file prior to printing. This helps alleviate the "Out
of
Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP
<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@y 43g2000cwc.goog legroups.com...
> Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
> Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
> Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
> look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.
>
> If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
> image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
> 2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
> versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
> insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
> shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
> on the form (other than the name).
>
> Thank you for any help.
>

Jun 14 '06 #4
bob

Are you doing the 2003 and the pre-2003 insertion on the same computer?

Office 2003 does not include an ‘OLE Server’ for JPEG (and if you install 2003 as an upgrade it will remove
the existing OLE Server) – the ‘OLE Server’ is needed to display JPEG (and some other formats) in a Bound
or Unbound object frame.

Most likely you just need to install ‘MS Photo Editor’ from the Office XP CD on your Office 2003 machine.
Note that this will not affect images that you have already inserted which do not display - you would
need to re-insert them after installing Photo Editor.

You should note, however, that even with ‘Linking’ (which you might reasonably expect to only ‘link’ to
the file) there is a huge amount of data stored in the table – often as much as 50 times the size of the
actual file (for JPEG images), so you may find that your database heads rapidly towards the Access file
size limit. Of course this can also have a significant effect on form performance, plus if a user installs
graphics software which takes over the ‘OLE Server’ registration for the particular file-type you can be
back to the same problem.

--
_______________ _______________ _______________ __________
DBPix 2.0: Add pictures to Access, Easily & Efficiently
http://www.ammara.com/dbpix/access.html

ne***********@g mail.com wrote:
Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.


Jun 15 '06 #5
Thanks everyone. I'm still working on it. It is an unbound Image
control. All the settings look right. I also changed the image
display program from the 2003 program to the stock XP program. Same
thing. It just shows the fiename.jpg. I will try and find MS Photo
Editor on the old CD and see if it helps. Thanks again.
bob wrote:
Are you doing the 2003 and the pre-2003 insertion on the same computer?

Office 2003 does not include an 'OLE Server' for JPEG (and if you install 2003 as an upgrade it will remove
the existing OLE Server) - the 'OLE Server' is needed to display JPEG (and some other formats) in a Bound
or Unbound object frame.

Most likely you just need to install 'MS Photo Editor' from the Office XP CD on your Office 2003 machine.
Note that this will not affect images that you have already inserted which do not display - you would
need to re-insert them after installing Photo Editor.

You should note, however, that even with 'Linking' (which you might reasonably expect to only 'link' to
the file) there is a huge amount of data stored in the table - often as much as 50 times the size of the
actual file (for JPEG images), so you may find that your database heads rapidly towards the Access file
size limit. Of course this can also have a significant effect on form performance, plus if a user installs
graphics software which takes over the 'OLE Server' registration for the particular file-type you can be
back to the same problem.

--
_______________ _______________ _______________ __________
DBPix 2.0: Add pictures to Access, Easily & Efficiently
http://www.ammara.com/dbpix/access.html

ne***********@g mail.com wrote:
Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.


Jun 15 '06 #6
No. It is a different program to view images. Also forgot to say that
it is on two different computers (see message below xp on one, 2003 on
the other). The display is an unbound image control that I am
inserting the link to. I did mean the same thing by blows up. Sorry.
Thanks again.
Larry Linson wrote:
Is the very same program registered to be automatically used for that image
file type on the computer that has the newer version of Access? One of the
points was that it is not just Access that you are dealing with, but the
image processing/display software that is registered for the image type.

Still, you did not answer my question. We ask questions to try to get enough
information to be of help. It makes a difference _how_ you are trying to
display the image. We do our best, here, to answer specific questions, but a
newsgroup isn't suitable for a lengthy tutorial on image handling -- that is
why I created the examples I referenced, and why others have created
examples of both similar and different approaches.

Now, you say "blows up" but seems, before, you said "just shows the text of
the filename." There's quite a difference between those, in my view.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@f 6g2000cwb.googl egroups.com...
But why would I be able to see the image if another version of Access
inserted the image? It only blows up when the newer version inserts
the image.

Larry Linson wrote:
What kind of Control are you using? If it is a Bound or Unbound OLE
Frame,
then you need to look also at what program is registered for the type of
image file, because that is what does the displaying in OLE Frames.

The sample imaging databases at http://accdevel.tripod.com illustrate
three
approaches to handling images in Access, and the download includes an
article discussing considerations in choosing an approach. Two of the
approaches do not use OLE Objects and, thus, avoid the database bloat,
and
some other problems, associated with images in OLE Objects.

If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you
should also see MVP Stephen Lebans'
http://www.lebans.com/printfailures.htm.
PrintFailure.zi p is an Access97 MDB containing a report that fails during
the Access formatting process prior to being spooled to the Printer
Driver.
This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the
Image
control to a Bitmap file prior to printing. This helps alleviate the "Out
of
Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP
<ne***********@ gmail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** *************@y 43g2000cwc.goog legroups.com...
> Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
> Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
> Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
> look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.
>
> If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
> image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
> 2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
> versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
> insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
> shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
> on the form (other than the name).
>
> Thank you for any help.
>


Jun 15 '06 #7
This is what solved it. Installing Microsoft Photo Editor fixed the
problem. Thank you!

bob wrote:
Are you doing the 2003 and the pre-2003 insertion on the same computer?

Office 2003 does not include an 'OLE Server' for JPEG (and if you install 2003 as an upgrade it will remove
the existing OLE Server) - the 'OLE Server' is needed to display JPEG (and some other formats) in a Bound
or Unbound object frame.

Most likely you just need to install 'MS Photo Editor' from the Office XP CD on your Office 2003 machine.
Note that this will not affect images that you have already inserted which do not display - you would
need to re-insert them after installing Photo Editor.

You should note, however, that even with 'Linking' (which you might reasonably expect to only 'link' to
the file) there is a huge amount of data stored in the table - often as much as 50 times the size of the
actual file (for JPEG images), so you may find that your database heads rapidly towards the Access file
size limit. Of course this can also have a significant effect on form performance, plus if a user installs
graphics software which takes over the 'OLE Server' registration for the particular file-type you can be
back to the same problem.

--
_______________ _______________ _______________ __________
DBPix 2.0: Add pictures to Access, Easily & Efficiently
http://www.ammara.com/dbpix/access.html

ne***********@g mail.com wrote:
Hi, I have an Access 2002 - 2003 database. I am using Access 2003.
Whenever I link an image all it shows is the filename. Not the image.
Other versions of Access can link the image just fine. The properties
look the same whether I use XP or 2003 versions of Office.

If I take an earlier version of Access and link the image, it puts the
image. I can also see the image in 2003. If I link the image using
2003 it only shows the filename. If I view that same record in lower
versions it also shows the filename. In other words, if I do not
insert the object (link, not embed) with a pre-2003 version, it only
shows the filename. It has the right path and all, just will not show
on the form (other than the name).

Thank you for any help.


Jun 16 '06 #8

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
11778
by: dave | last post by:
Hello there, I am at my wit's end ! I have used the following script succesfully to upload an image to my web space. But what I really want to be able to do is to update an existing record in a table in MySQL with the path & filename to the image. I have successfully uploaded and performed an update query on the database, but the problem I have is I cannot retain the primary key field in a variable which is then used in a SQL update...
2
3840
by: John Fryatt | last post by:
Hi, Before I go on, let me just say I'm fairly new at this so excuse me if I say the wrong thing or use the wrong term. Anyway, what I am trying to do is to set up something where I can have a database of images and associated details. I want to run the system on a machine with a dual-head video adapter and have the Access window, showing a form, on one screen and an image viewer program on the other (the 'other' will actually be a...
4
2334
by: moondaddy | last post by:
Using vb.net I need to download image files to the client browser where they can save to disk. Below is some sample code I'm using. when I run this the File Download window in the browser says: File name: ViewAttachment File type: From localhost 1) "ViewAttachment" is the name of the aspx page and not the image file. 2) Its not picking up the file type of jpg. For ContentType I used
3
3495
by: meyvn77 | last post by:
Hello - I am looking for the best way to store images in a Access DB. My Idea - I have a table with 150,000 records. These recoreds represent a Crash (Traffic Accident). I have 50 different images that represent almost any type of Accident. Each crash record can be represented by one of those 50 images (depending on the Crash Data). I don't want to waste space by having each record have a BLOB field w/
13
3948
by: salad | last post by:
Hi Guys: I was stuck. I needed to send a report to a file. My beautiful report(s) in Access were going to require loss of formatting with RTFs, a PITA in WordMailMerge, sending it as a text file...whatever. I described my situation to the guy I'm doing work for and he did some research for me and came up with the following link. http://www.novapdf.com/ The part that should excite us Access developers is their SDK
1
3121
by: gm | last post by:
Hi; I have written a database that tracks all the installation we have ever done. I have a small heating company. I have recently started keeping a directory of digital photographs of the completed job. I can create a hyperlink button that will link to a photgraph, but I cannot link to a specific photo of that specific job. Each job has its' own unique identifier, I call it the GOTC number. It is a separate field in the table of installed...
9
3853
by: Wayne Smith | last post by:
I've come up against a major headache that I can't seem to find a solution for but I'm sure there must be a workaround and I would really be grateful of any help. I'm currently building a web site for a small club I belong to and one of the features I would like to include is the ability to allow users to upload image files. unfortunately the servers web root www folder only allows READ and EXECUTE permissions, which makes it...
5
3135
by: Nathan Sokalski | last post by:
I have a FormView control in which I use a PagerTemplate. I am having trouble accessing the controls in the PagerTemplate. How do I access them, and in what event should I put the could that accesses them? My current code is as follows: Partial Public Class indextest : Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Private rowcount As Integer = 0 Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
5
2069
by: sukatoa | last post by:
I don't know where to put this thread exactly, but i just want some recommendations about my problem.... I wonder why some of my GIF images doesn't show on my page..... May i know what should be an image format to be used in HTML? Here is the situation, Im currently developing a form in JSP, every visit/refresh on that page will change the filename that will be used for confirmation..... ( common on sign-up forms )....
0
9799
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
11168
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
1
10869
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
7137
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
5808
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
6009
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
4623
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
4231
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
3242
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.