473,545 Members | 1,739 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Distributing an Access 03 app as runtime

I'm confused about what is necessary to distribute an Access 2003
application to people that don't have MS Access (or don't have the
right version) installed on their PCs. I have done some research on
the MS website, as well as on this newsgroup, and have never found a
clear explanation of what is required.

I have written an application that I would like to sell, but if I can
only sell to those with access to Access (sorry, couldn't resist) I
will be severely limiting my target audience. I would, therefore, like
to be able to provide a executable single file that contains (or
installs) everything necessary to run the app, regardless of the
software installed on the customer's machine. I do not expect to
sell enough copies of the application to warrant a large investment in
tools, so I am hoping that I don't have to buy a very expensive
development kit.

I currently have Access 2003 SP2, installed as part of "Office
Professional Edition 2003."

I would appreciate an advice or information available. Thanks,

Dan

Jun 4 '06 #1
7 1779

<wa******@twcny .rr.com> wrote in message
news:11******** ************@g1 0g2000cwb.googl egroups.com...
I'm confused about what is necessary to distribute an Access 2003
application to people that don't have MS Access (or don't have the
right version) installed on their PCs. I have done some research on
the MS website, as well as on this newsgroup, and have never found a
clear explanation of what is required.

I have written an application that I would like to sell, but if I can
only sell to those with access to Access (sorry, couldn't resist) I
will be severely limiting my target audience. I would, therefore, like
to be able to provide a executable single file that contains (or
installs) everything necessary to run the app, regardless of the
software installed on the customer's machine. I do not expect to
sell enough copies of the application to warrant a large investment in
tools, so I am hoping that I don't have to buy a very expensive
development kit.

I currently have Access 2003 SP2, installed as part of "Office
Professional Edition 2003."

I would appreciate an advice or information available. Thanks,

Dan


Sagekey do an installer, I use the MSI 2000 Wizard myself and it works
pretty well.

www.sagekey.com

It costs $425 - I think you need Office Professional which you have covered
so that should be it.
Jun 4 '06 #2
To the best of my knowledge, Sagekey provides scripts (or coding) that works
with other vendors' installers.

To legally distribute a runtime, you need to license the "Visual Studio
Tools for Office 2003 System". Many, in addition to that, find it useful to
use the Wise, InstallShield, or other vendors' installers, along with
SageKey scripts. All together, that is not an inexpensive item, so you'd be
advised to investigate using the Visual Studio Tools first, since you'll
have to have that for the license to distribute the runtime for Access 2003,
no matter if you use someone else's installer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...208861033.aspx gives
information on the subject "Obtain and deploy the Access 2003 runtime".

And, just for the record, http://office.microsoft.com is Microsoft's main
online site for Office, including Access, and it is chock-full of good
information.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

"Deano" <de***@mailinat or.com> wrote in message
news:44******** *************** @ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.n et...

<wa******@twcny .rr.com> wrote in message
news:11******** ************@g1 0g2000cwb.googl egroups.com...
I'm confused about what is necessary to distribute an Access 2003
application to people that don't have MS Access (or don't have the
right version) installed on their PCs. I have done some research on
the MS website, as well as on this newsgroup, and have never found a
clear explanation of what is required.

I have written an application that I would like to sell, but if I can
only sell to those with access to Access (sorry, couldn't resist) I
will be severely limiting my target audience. I would, therefore, like
to be able to provide a executable single file that contains (or
installs) everything necessary to run the app, regardless of the
software installed on the customer's machine. I do not expect to
sell enough copies of the application to warrant a large investment in
tools, so I am hoping that I don't have to buy a very expensive
development kit.

I currently have Access 2003 SP2, installed as part of "Office
Professional Edition 2003."

I would appreciate an advice or information available. Thanks,

Dan


Sagekey do an installer, I use the MSI 2000 Wizard myself and it works
pretty well.

www.sagekey.com

It costs $425 - I think you need Office Professional which you have
covered
so that should be it.

Jun 5 '06 #3
Larry and Deano,

Ouch, now we're getting pricy. According to the MS website, the
"Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office" cost $799, with Sagekey running
another $425. I realize Sagekey is an optional product, available to
make the packaging job easier, but even without that, the $799 price
tag seems high for what I'm trying to accomplish. Is there really no
cheaper way to do this legally?

Thanks,

Dan
Larry Linson wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, Sagekey provides scripts (or coding) that works
with other vendors' installers.

To legally distribute a runtime, you need to license the "Visual Studio
Tools for Office 2003 System". Many, in addition to that, find it useful to
use the Wise, InstallShield, or other vendors' installers, along with
SageKey scripts. All together, that is not an inexpensive item, so you'd be
advised to investigate using the Visual Studio Tools first, since you'll
have to have that for the license to distribute the runtime for Access 2003,
no matter if you use someone else's installer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...208861033.aspx gives
information on the subject "Obtain and deploy the Access 2003 runtime".

And, just for the record, http://office.microsoft.com is Microsoft's main
online site for Office, including Access, and it is chock-full of good
information.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

"Deano" <de***@mailinat or.com> wrote in message
news:44******** *************** @ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.n et...

<wa******@twcny .rr.com> wrote in message
news:11******** ************@g1 0g2000cwb.googl egroups.com...
I'm confused about what is necessary to distribute an Access 2003
application to people that don't have MS Access (or don't have the
right version) installed on their PCs. I have done some research on
the MS website, as well as on this newsgroup, and have never found a
clear explanation of what is required.

I have written an application that I would like to sell, but if I can
only sell to those with access to Access (sorry, couldn't resist) I
will be severely limiting my target audience. I would, therefore, like
to be able to provide a executable single file that contains (or
installs) everything necessary to run the app, regardless of the
software installed on the customer's machine. I do not expect to
sell enough copies of the application to warrant a large investment in
tools, so I am hoping that I don't have to buy a very expensive
development kit.

I currently have Access 2003 SP2, installed as part of "Office
Professional Edition 2003."

I would appreciate an advice or information available. Thanks,

Dan


Sagekey do an installer, I use the MSI 2000 Wizard myself and it works
pretty well.

www.sagekey.com

It costs $425 - I think you need Office Professional which you have
covered
so that should be it.


Jun 5 '06 #4

<wa******@twcny .rr.com> wrote in message
news:11******** **************@ f6g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...
Larry and Deano,

Ouch, now we're getting pricy. According to the MS website, the
"Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office" cost $799, with Sagekey running
another $425. I realize Sagekey is an optional product, available to
make the packaging job easier, but even without that, the $799 price
tag seems high for what I'm trying to accomplish. Is there really no
cheaper way to do this legally?


I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I know, Visual Studio 2003 Tools for Office
2003 System and Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office are the only way you can
get a license to distribute the Access 2003 runtime. You might look into
various retail discounters.

If you are willing to go with a back version, you can probably buy the
Developer Edition of Office XP or Office 2000 for less at online auction
sites and old software sites. I won't even mention Office 97 Developer
Edition -- it was so much in demand for so long, that finding a copy at any
price might be a challenge. Some years (at least 5) a friend and client of
mine had to have a copy of O97DE. He bought it on eBay, still in shrink
wrap. His comment to me was, "You just don't want to know how much I had to
pay for this."

Whatever approach you use to getting the runtime, be sure to check for
updates to your version.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

Jun 6 '06 #5

<wa******@twcny .rr.com> wrote in message
news:11******** **************@ f6g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...
Larry and Deano,

Ouch, now we're getting pricy. According to the MS website, the
"Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office" cost $799, with Sagekey running
another $425. I realize Sagekey is an optional product, available to
make the packaging job easier, but even without that, the $799 price
tag seems high for what I'm trying to accomplish. Is there really no
cheaper way to do this legally?


It cost me alot as well but I regard it as an investment for the future.
Larry's advice about going with an older version of the toolset is a sound
one in my opinion.

The problem is that Sagekey's product is needed because Microsoft' Packaging
and Deployment is less than robust and if you have clients you just want the
damn thing to work.

Having said that I know of a company in my sector that knocked out a (poorly
coded) Access 97 app and they simply stated that 97 was the requirement.
This caused problems when everyone got upgraded to 2000 and Access 97 had to
stay, which as I know from experience can cause conflicts.

I think you have to ask yourself what the likely market is for your app and
be realistic. If it's good and the feedback is positive then the way
forward is to invest the money though what pricing you adopt is important as
well. You could also try to quantify the time, money and general hassle
saved by being able to deploy efficiently - it's paid off me certainly.

The one thing I would say about Sagekey is that they haven't built up a
community - there's no forum on their site for example. As such I haven't
talked to anyone else who uses the same product which is a pity.
Jun 6 '06 #6
Hi,
Deano wrote:
Larry's advice about going with an older version of the toolset is a sound
one in my opinion.

I write small customized software for invoicing, stock etc. using
Access 2000 Professional and VB.NET. I ship my database as an Access
2000 mdb file. I have my customers download the MDAC file available for
download from Microsoft. I do not use Access Reports and since the
applications are not huge, I use the mdb file only for storing data. I
make reports using a third party tool and some custom coding.

Is there a better way apart from purchasing Office Developer Edition or
MS VS Tools for Office? Or, as it is, I do not violate any license? (I
think not and that is why I am at peace with myself on this matter)

Like, for example, is there some way of invoking reports or Access
Forms from Access 2000 _without_ using the Access 2000 dll?

TIA,
JS

Jun 7 '06 #7
Joseph S. wrote:
Hi,
Deano wrote:
Larry's advice about going with an older version of the toolset is a
sound one in my opinion.

I write small customized software for invoicing, stock etc. using
Access 2000 Professional and VB.NET. I ship my database as an Access
2000 mdb file. I have my customers download the MDAC file available
for download from Microsoft. I do not use Access Reports and since the
applications are not huge, I use the mdb file only for storing data. I
make reports using a third party tool and some custom coding.

Is there a better way apart from purchasing Office Developer Edition
or MS VS Tools for Office? Or, as it is, I do not violate any
license? (I think not and that is why I am at peace with myself on
this matter)

Like, for example, is there some way of invoking reports or Access
Forms from Access 2000 _without_ using the Access 2000 dll?

TIA,
JS


You only need the dev tools to obtain a license to distribute Access (the
program). You don't need anything to distribute an MDB file as you are
doing.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt at Hunter dot com
Jun 7 '06 #8

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

10
7379
by: John Phelan | last post by:
I read an article by, by Mike Groh, in Access-VB-SQL Advisor Magazine, Week 37 that concerns me quite a bit on distributing Access Applications commercially. First I need to describe a "commercial version" of my application that I hope to distribute after completing all the beta testing: A. It was developed using MS AccessXP Pro (developers...
3
7797
by: John Phelan | last post by:
I was under the impression that if I package my software with Access Runtime and made certain that end-users opened my program with the "/runtime switch", they would be using MY installed version of runtime instead of any Access Runtime that came with any older version of Access on their machine. Is this correct? If not, is there any way I...
9
2118
by: Heather | last post by:
I have created a database application consisting of a front end and backend file. Data entry and administration of the application are done at a central location. The next requirement is to be able to distribute the appllication each month to five remote sites by sending the sites a CD. The sites will only use the application to lookup data in...
2
2420
by: Scott | last post by:
Any help would be grateful :-) Problem: When I test my installation of Access 2000 MDE, I get the following error: "Unrecognised Format".. This means that Access 97 cannot read Access 2000. But I was under the Impression that Access 2000, could be redistributed using Install Shield 7 and that it would not effect the workstations current...
5
1735
by: MLH | last post by:
I have little or no knowledge as to how a runtime Access database application might be distributed from a website. I am sure that I'm about to find out. I do have one question for you wizards though... My experience has shown that when I have installed applications from the web, my browser generally asks what I want to do with the file......
1
1384
by: Mark Carlyle via AccessMonster.com | last post by:
I have an access application that I want to roll out to my sales force. I have a licenced version on access 2003 and the reps do not have the Access program. How can I distribute the application So that they can run it. I do have a .net server and all the reps are on its domain, but I would like to run the program though maybe a runtime or...
5
1743
by: summerwind | last post by:
I wonder if someone can help me please. I have developed apps for small business on a bespoke basis for a long time. I have usually gone along to the client to install the apps. My client base was such that they usually had Access pre-installed on their machines before I arrived. Over the last year I discovered a hole in a niche market...
0
1814
by: BallCOMET | last post by:
I have an application that I built with Visual Studio 2005 and for which I enabled OpenMP. If I open the compiled binary in Visual Studio, this is the manifest that is embedded in the executable as RT_MANIFEST entry 1: <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <dependency> <dependentAssembly>...
3
3377
by: Paul H | last post by:
Most of my projects are developed in Access 2003. I have not even installed Office 2007 yet! I need to buy VSTO to get the run-time licence for Access 2003. No doubt I will soon need a run-time licence for Access 2007. Is there a version of VSTO that has the Access run-time licence for both version of Access? Or will I need to buy VSTO 2003...
0
7390
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7647
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
7802
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7410
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
7742
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
5958
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5318
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
3441
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
1
1007
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.