473,324 Members | 2,239 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,324 software developers and data experts.

New Table?

Hello everyone, I have a question. I have two tables Employees which holds all the employee information with the following fields:
EmployeeID - Text (Primary)
DepartmentCode - Text
DateOfHire - Date/Time
FirstName - Text
LastName - Text
Seniority # - Number
WorkDays - Number

I also have an activityLog table which has the following fields:
ActivityLogID - Autonumber (Primary)
EmployeeID - Text (Relates to EmployeeTable)
ActivityType - Text
ActionDate - Date/Time (This is what determines what day the occurance occur)
EndingDate - Date/Time (365 days + Action Date)
DaysOff - Number (Difference)
ReasonCode - Text (Relates to ReasonCode Table - has the points etc.)
Points - Number (Points received)
SickDaysUsed - Number
VacationDayUsed - Number

My question is how to generate a team members perfect attendance by month calculating and keeping a count of previous months until they receive a point? Should I make another table name Perfect attendance and have append and delete queries run each month? Or should I just try and query out the information through my ActivityLog Table?
Thank you
Sep 10 '08 #1
3 1449
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
My question is how to generate a team members perfect attendance by month calculating and keeping a count of previous months until they receive a point?
The supporting information is good as far as it goes, but the question itself leaves me confused. I look around for clues in the punctuation, but there is none. I also look for explanations for some of the terms and concepts introduced (perfect attendance; points; Monthly grouping; etc). No joy there either. Remember, I only know what you tell me about your setup. There are so many different possibilities that I can't assume you're thinking any particular way.

I can't help without understanding the problem (in enough detail) I'm afraid.
Sep 11 '08 #2
The supporting information is good as far as it goes, but the question itself leaves me confused. I look around for clues in the punctuation, but there is none. I also look for explanations for some of the terms and concepts introduced (perfect attendance; points; Monthly grouping; etc). No joy there either. Remember, I only know what you tell me about your setup. There are so many different possibilities that I can't assume you're thinking any particular way.

I can't help without understanding the problem (in enough detail) I'm afraid.
I'm sorry, I was in kind of a hurry from work when I typed this up. I also have another table called ReasonCodes and it has the following fields:
ReasonCode - Text (Primary)
ReasonDescription - Text
PointValue - Number
SickDaysUsed - Number
VacationDaysUsed - Number
AgainstPA - Yes/No (Against Perfect Attendance)

Now how this works is an employee is awarded perfect attendance for each consecutive month they receive perfect attendance, any reason code record that isn't against PA. Whoever made this database, the Perfect Attendance isn't calculating correctly. The person who made this has a table called PAtbl and it has the following fields:
PAID - AutoNumber (Primary)
EmployeeID - Text (Relates to the Employee Table)
TheMonth - Number
TheYear - Number
PA - Yes/No (Perfect Attendance)
Consecutive - Number

So the person who created it has queries that append and delete when the "perfect attendance" is ran, however, it does not calculate correctly. So rather than going through all the queries and code that he inserted to calculate I thought I would try to make my own and I am user if it's easier to build?
Sep 11 '08 #3
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
My problem here, is that while you explain various things previously missed out, you still don't tell me the logic of what you're trying to do.
Now how this works is an employee is awarded perfect attendance for each consecutive month they receive perfect attendance, any reason code record that isn't against PA.
This doesn't tell me much other than perfect attendance = perfect attendance.

If you do choose to post a clear question with all the information I need, then please try to put everything in a single post. Trawling through multiple posts to put the question together like a jig-saw is not something I will be very keen on doing.

Always remembering of course, that I will only know what you tell me about your particular database and setup.
Sep 14 '08 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.