473,394 Members | 1,893 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,394 software developers and data experts.

Jet User-Level Security

Basically I have Three questions about Jet U-L Security:

1.Every time I create new Groups, new Users and Permissions using the User and Group Accounts dialog box, It creates User security for every single DB Access file I have in my system. How can I get a Jet User-Level Security only for the current opened file without using the User-Level Security Wizard?.

2. Also, Is there a way to view and make changes to Groups and Users opening the User and Group Accounts and Permissions dialog boxes after the Group and its Users are created with the U-L Security Wizard?

I feel too limited using the Wizard and I rather use the User and Group Accounts and Permissions dialog boxes to manipulate Groups and Users.

3. If I create User-Level Security with MS ACCESS 2007 at a Network level. Am I going to have compatibilities problems with 2000 version workstations?

If anybody can give me a hint about these concerns, it would be great.
Thank you in advance,
Plaguna
Sep 2 '08 #1
6 2074
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
  1. You can use the /wrkgrp Command Line Switch to open a Database with a specific Workgroup Information File as in:
    Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
    1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:\Test\Top_Secret.mdw"
  2. No matter what the mechanism by which you create your User and Group Accounts, they should all be able to be managed via the GUI (Tools ==> Security ==> Blah, Blah Blah...)
Sep 3 '08 #2
plaguna
I think question #1 was not well explained. Let’s start all over again.
I have MS Access 2007 (My Database files are saved as .mdb extension). I have no problem to create Users and Groups, and grant them specific Permissions. What I don’t understand is why when I create Password, and Permissions to allow or restrict the access of users and Groups to the objects in a specific Database file, (Ex: for only Sales.mdb) it creates security password for all (*.mdb) files. Some DB files don’t need any type of security password. The idea is to create User-Level Security and security passwords for individual Database files. I tried everything, and nothing works. Can anybody has an idea how to do this?
Thank you in advance

Plaguna
Sep 3 '08 #3
Stewart Ross
2,545 Expert Mod 2GB
Hi Plaguna. Please do not double-post your questions. You have started a new thread linked here instead of being patient and waiting for a response to post #3.

Sep 3 '08 #4
plaguna
I'm sorry about that
Sep 3 '08 #5
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
I think question #1 was not well explained. Let’s start all over again.
I have MS Access 2007 (My Database files are saved as .mdb extension). I have no problem to create Users and Groups, and grant them specific Permissions. What I don’t understand is why when I create Password, and Permissions to allow or restrict the access of users and Groups to the objects in a specific Database file, (Ex: for only Sales.mdb) it creates security password for all (*.mdb) files. Some DB files don’t need any type of security password. The idea is to create User-Level Security and security passwords for individual Database files. I tried everything, and nothing works. Can anybody has an idea how to do this?
Thank you in advance

Plaguna
Question #1 was well explained and the answer is still the same. When you establish a Security Mechanism via Users and Groups within an Access Database, it is 'Global' to Access and affects all Databases unless you specifically Join another Workgroup (say the generic System.mdw which is not secured). You cannot have a Secured and Unsecured Database working off the same Workgroup Information File.
Sep 3 '08 #6
plaguna
Now I see what you mean. I'll try to solved it based on that concept.

Thank you
Sep 8 '08 #7

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Fotios | last post by:
Hi guys, I have put together a flexible client-side user agent detector (written in js). I thought that some of you may find it useful. Code is here: http://fotios.cc/software/ua_detect.htm ...
by: Sandman | last post by:
Just looking for suggestion on how to do this in my Web application. The goal is to keep track of what a user has and hasn't read and present him or her with new material I am currently doing...
by: Michelle Stone | last post by:
Hi everybody I am writing a simple asp.net application using form authentication. I store the list of all users and their passwords in an SQL Server database table. My client recently told me...
by: martin | last post by:
Hi, I am a web page and a web user control. My web user control is placed in my web page using the following directive <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="Header"...
by: Shourie | last post by:
I've noticed that none of the child controls events are firing for the first time from the dynamic user control. Here is the event cycle. 1) MainPage_load 2) User control1_Load user clicks a...
by: tony | last post by:
Hello! This is a rather long mail but it's a very interesting one. I hope you read it. I have tried several times to get an answer to this mail but I have not get any answer saying something...
by: rn5a | last post by:
Assume that a user control (MyUC.ascx) encapsulates 2 TextBoxes with the IDs 'txt1' & 'txt2' respectively. To use this user control in an ASPX page, the following Register directive will be...
by: Carlettus | last post by:
Dear All, sorry but I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my problem. I was using the following asp code to create users in Active Directory. Suddenly, and I don't know the reason, users...
by: rbukkara | last post by:
Hi, I have got the following error while trying to add a user in the LDAP Directory. javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: ; remaining name 'uid=vassila,ou=People,dc=cs,dc=uno,dc=edu' I have...
by: shapper | last post by:
Hello, On my web site I have a property, Visitor, which is available for Anonymous users: public class Visitor { public CultureInfo Culture { get; set; } public List<GuidPolls { get; set;...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.