473,383 Members | 1,785 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,383 software developers and data experts.

Making an application the same size in all resolutions

vdraceil
236 100+
Hi everyone, i made an application with vb6 in my pc,but when i transferred it to a laptop,the relative positions of controls has changed..it seems it has something to do with the resolution..got any solution?
Aug 10 '08 #1
7 5008
debasisdas
8,127 Expert 4TB
You ned to resize the form as per monitor resolution.
Aug 11 '08 #2
vdraceil
236 100+
You ned to resize the form as per monitor resolution.
how do i do that?pls help..
Aug 12 '08 #3
vdraceil
236 100+
I know how to change the resolution of the system as a whole..but i dont know how to make the form look same in all kind of resolutions..-i mean we should not change the computer's resolution only because our form has to run properly.. Got any ideas?
Aug 12 '08 #4
debasisdas
8,127 Expert 4TB
findout the resolution of the monitor and resize the form and other controls accordingly.
Aug 12 '08 #5
vdraceil
236 100+
findout the resolution of the monitor and resize the form and other controls accordingly.
thanks for ur reply..
after finding out the resolution of the monitor,what do i do?
how do i size my form accordingly?i mean what size should i hav for one resolution and what for some other resolution?
how do i proceed??
an example would help..
Aug 19 '08 #6
This code from Jim Cone worked for me...

Declare Function GetSystemMetrics Lib "user32" (ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long

Sub ResizeForm_R1()
' Adjusts userform size to compensate for screen resolution changes.
' Calls function GetSR
' Jim Cone - San Francisco, USA - Dec 2006
Dim varSize As Variant
Dim RatioX As Single
Dim RatioY As Single
Dim ActualX As Long
Dim ActualY As Long

'Screen resolution in development environment.
'Adjust as necessary <<<
Const BaseX As Long = 800
Const BaseY As Long = 600

'Call function to get actual screen resolution
varSize = GetSR
ActualX = varSize(0)
ActualY = varSize(1)

'Determine ratio of actual screen resolution to
'the original or base resolution.
RatioX = ActualX / BaseX
RatioY = ActualY / BaseY

'Adjust userform magnification and size.
UserForm1.Zoom = (100 * ((RatioX + RatioY) / 2))
UserForm1.Width = UserForm1.Width * RatioX
UserForm1.Height = UserForm1.Height * RatioY
UserForm1.Show
Unload UserForm1
Set UserForm1 = Nothing
End Sub

'---------------------------------
Public Function GetSR() As Variant
' x and y
GetSR = Array(GetSystemMetrics(0), GetSystemMetrics(1))
End Function

thanks for ur reply..
after finding out the resolution of the monitor,what do i do?
how do i size my form accordingly?i mean what size should i hav for one resolution and what for some other resolution?
how do i proceed??
an example would help..
Aug 19 '08 #7
vdraceil
236 100+
This code from Jim Cone worked for me...

Declare Function GetSystemMetrics Lib "user32" (ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long

Sub ResizeForm_R1()
' Adjusts userform size to compensate for screen resolution changes.
' Calls function GetSR
' Jim Cone - San Francisco, USA - Dec 2006
Dim varSize As Variant
Dim RatioX As Single
Dim RatioY As Single
Dim ActualX As Long
Dim ActualY As Long

'Screen resolution in development environment.
'Adjust as necessary <<<
Const BaseX As Long = 800
Const BaseY As Long = 600

'Call function to get actual screen resolution
varSize = GetSR
ActualX = varSize(0)
ActualY = varSize(1)

'Determine ratio of actual screen resolution to
'the original or base resolution.
RatioX = ActualX / BaseX
RatioY = ActualY / BaseY

'Adjust userform magnification and size.
UserForm1.Zoom = (100 * ((RatioX + RatioY) / 2))
UserForm1.Width = UserForm1.Width * RatioX
UserForm1.Height = UserForm1.Height * RatioY
UserForm1.Show
Unload UserForm1
Set UserForm1 = Nothing
End Sub

'---------------------------------
Public Function GetSR() As Variant
' x and y
GetSR = Array(GetSystemMetrics(0), GetSystemMetrics(1))
End Function
This is only to keep a constant size form,isnt it?
Will it work for other controls too?
(I've not tried it yet)

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. UserForm1.Zoom = (100 * ((RatioX + RatioY) / 2))
Considering the above code,in vb6, a form doesnt have a "zoom" property!!
Aug 24 '08 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.