473,403 Members | 2,323 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,403 software developers and data experts.

Forum for C/C++ development targetted to Linux?

Hi,

Does anybody know a forum about C/C++ development for Linux (e.g. glibc libraries, kernel development, etc)?

Thanks!

P.S.: I posted this question last week, and I can't see it now. Don't know why.
Jul 6 '08 #1
7 1534
oler1s
671 Expert 512MB
AFAIK there is no set forum for linux specific development. Your linux distro may have a subforum for programming help, Hopefully you use a major distro. There are general linux friendly and oriented sites and forums out there, so a programming subforum would not be unusual.

Partly, though, it depends on your question. If you are writing a QT program, and your issue is primarily that of how to do something in C++, then you are expected to go to C++ specific forums, and frame your question in a way that knowledge of QT is irrelevant. Similarly, if your question is indeed about QT itself, than you are expected to find a QT forum and ask there.
Jul 6 '08 #2
Sure, your point is good.

But still there is lots of common C/C++ issues that could fit in an only forum (or, say a set of forums if you want). If not Linux, say the GNU toolchain, along with the most common libraries it is compiled with.

Regarding distributions... nah... i wouldn't expect much to change on C/C++ programming between distros, honestly. I use gentoo, but I could be using whatever other distro... and the code for QT would not change much, not to say would not change at all. Most distributions only change the set of programs they include (gentoo is an exception, that's why I use it). Ok, maybe the packaging system changes.. but how many packagins systems there is around? Definetly not a different one for every distribution -just 3 or 4 being the most popular. And if you find a developer which is an expert on one of them, sure enough will know stuff on the others too. In review, I don't see the point on focusing on a particular distribution at this level.
Jul 6 '08 #3
TamusJRoyce
110 100+
Don't let oler1s dis-heart you. I would love to see a forum where programmers with more advanced knowledge, or are seeking such can go. Maybe something with a quiz allowing only those good enough to pass to enter (something like determining a syntax or logic error).

As for this being a forum where we can all express our idea's, I am overly satisfied with how this site is done, and no changes/additions needed.

But as to oler1s opinion on a Linux based forum not existing, I beg to differ. Maybe not here, but that was not what was asked. If not here, then do you have a suggestion where?

As for another question, would you personally, oler1s, be capable of making a new forum dedicated to specific API's where only those with good enough programming experience visit? This would divide student questions & people just learning C/C++ from us who are trying to get our code to function on a wider scale, while allowing us (monitored, but not constantly requiring moderators attention) to enhance and fix each others code...

Not that I am requesting you to be responsible for doing so (I'm happy with how this site is as it is), I am just curious if you have that ability.

The fact that .NET is here does mean you support at least one specific API. You can't do .NET without interacting with it's API.
What about Windows API, GDI, X, and GTK2? I would say GTK2 is the cross-OS version of .NET, myself.

But not doing QT is defiantly acceptable since it is commercial based when running on the windows platform (which, respectfully, this site tends to favor : )...
Jul 7 '08 #4
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
Hi,

Does anybody know a forum about C/C++ development for Linux (e.g. glibc libraries, kernel development, etc)?

Thanks!

P.S.: I posted this question last week, and I can't see it now. Don't know why.
Jorba-

My apologies. I was the one that removed your thread, though I forgot to send you a message that I did and why. When I saw it there were several posts that were doing exactly what TamusJRoyce suggested, and linking to other sites.

While we are all about free knowledge (we don't charge for membership or an answer based on this belief), we do not, however, allow linking to other sites - it is against the Posting Guidelines of Bytes.com for several reasons. Because there was a bit of a discussion (ie continuity would not have been maintained by removal of the links or posts), I decided to delete the thread.

I am keeping a closer eye on this one, and will attempt to remove any links or posts before the same issue occurs. If you (or anyone) would like to discuss the Posting Guidelines or any other issue, please PM me.

Again, sorry for informing you earlier,

sicarie
Jul 7 '08 #5
TamusJRoyce
110 100+
Oh... Thanks. Then searching google for one is all that would be required : )

I misunderstood oler1s the way post was earlier.
Jul 7 '08 #6
TamusJRoyce
110 100+
Mis-posted an extra message hear. Not sure how to delete this reply...
Jul 7 '08 #7
oler1s
671 Expert 512MB
My post was misunderstood. I am merely pointing out that there are other channels for Linux specific help, and how to best get a response from them.

Also, TamusJRoyce asked about raising the barrier of entry to a forum. The idea behind it is to raise the signal to noise ratio of the forum, and make it less beginner oriented. It is possible to do this, but creating a more complicated form of registration is not the answer. Making a "quiz" of sorts will drive away the competent and experts, and entice only the clueless.
Jul 7 '08 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.