473,799 Members | 3,167 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Is your company ready for the Apple Invasion?

Niheel
2,456 Recognized Expert Moderator Top Contributor
The Apple invasion into corporate has started and I can't say if I am excited or scared. As an IT manager, I have nightmares over all the support and technical issues of integrating Apple hardware and software into our company. As an owner of ample Apple products, I'm excited about being able to use my iPhone and MacBooks at the company.

For years many of us have fought to get Apple products into our company's infrastructure. Much to our dismay, the cost involved with supporting Apple products across the whole enterprise always outweighed the benefit. It didn't help that even Steve Jobs for many years held a firm stance on being a consumer oriented company.

Things are changing. There is a whole new level of curiosity and excitement about getting Apple stamped devices ready to work with our corporate IT. There are more and more employees demanding access for their Apple hardware. Even the bosses from the top are more open. They are curious and in some cases even ready to make the changes. I'm sure their experience with other Apple products had nothing to do with it. ;-)

Take a look at these excerpts from corporate executives and CEO's in the latest Business Week magazine article "The Mac in the Gray Flannel":
    • Anthony Decanti, Vice-president for technology Werner Enterprises ($2B in sales)
      • Werner Enterprises (WERN), a trucking company based in Omaha with $2 billion in sales, decided to start letting employees use a variety of computers a few years ago. When they began to choose Macs, the company reached out to Apple. "They all but told us to take a hike," says Anthony Decanti, vice-president for technology. But Decanti persisted, and Apple eventually sent an account rep.
    • Michele Goins, Chief Information Officer at Juniper Networks
      • "If we opened it up today, I think 25% of our employees would choose Macs," she says.
    • Scott Kriens, CEO At Sunnyvale (Calif.)-based Juniper
      • One of the people with a new Mac Book laptop. "Everybody told me I should get one," he says. "It's not anything to do with negative perceptions about Microsoft. It's just that Macs are cool."
    • Mark Slaga, Chief Information Officer of Dimension Data
      • A large computer services firm based in suburban Johannesburg, says he has received 25 e-mails recently from employees who want permission to use Macs at work.

In a survey of 250 diverse companies that has yet to be released, the market research firm Yankee Group found that 87% now have at least some Apple computers in their offices, up from 48% two years ago.

Companies are stepping up for their employees and starting to support Apple in the business environment. Notable ones include:
  • IBM
  • Cisco
  • Google
Many CEO's and Leaders are already using some sort of Apple product for their professional life.
  • Dayton, Sky; CEO EarthLink Network
  • Eisner, Michael; CEO Disney Corp.
  • Gore, Al; U.S. ex Vice-President
  • Hawk, Tony; skateboarder
  • Jobs, Steve; co-founder Apple Computer
  • Lerner, Sandy; founder of Cisco Systems, Urban Decay
  • Lowe, Bill; former IBM bigwig
  • MacCready, Paul; inventor
  • Lucas, George; director/producer
  • Rao, P.V. Narashima; ex Prime Minister of India
  • Sheetrit, Meir; Minister of Justice, Israel
  • Jay-Z (Yes, HP paid me. But I use an Apple.)
  • Tigret, Isacc; founder - Hard Rock Café
  • Yeltsin, Boris; ex Soviet president
  • Larry Ellison, Chairman, CEO and Founder Oracle Corp.
  • Roy Disney, Disney Board of Directors
There are also legions of celebrity endorsers and media darlings that support and promote the Apple Invasion to consumers (our corporate employee base in most cases).

Another factor that could drive increased usage in coming years is the droves of college students who have known nothing but their Apple during their higher education coming into the workplace.
According to a survey of 1,200 undergrads by researcher Student Monitor this year, 43% of college students who intend to buy a laptop plan to buy a Mac, up from 8% in 2003.

Combine this with constant word of mouth marketing from colleagues, friends and family and there is a significant shift in usage patterns in favor of Apple in corporate environments.

All this translates into changes for many of our corporate IT policies . We have to adapt to the demand and to be open to the idea of sharing our corporate networks and resources and even support Apple devices on our own (no in-house Genius Bar).

The best advice given we've heard so far . . . keep an open mind and get ready to be Appleified.

Is your company ready for the Apple Invasion? What kind of resources are you setting up to support the influx of Apple users in your company?
May 29 '08 #1
29 44178
iam_clint
1,208 Recognized Expert Top Contributor
Apple used to brag about its speeds.
Apple now uses intel processors.
May 29 '08 #2
Niheel
Apple used to brag about its speeds.
Apple now uses intel processors.
Previous IBM Chips are fast, look at what they are doing with Cell in the PS3.

I think Apple was just being smart. Combine Intel branding machine with their ability to create chips for all products across the Apple line and you can have some cost efficiences. Also it allows them to focus in on the product and functionality itself.
May 29 '08 #3
Anim8me2
2 New Member
Macs compete quite handily in a corporate environment. I think one of the biggest issues has been IT staff that have no real experience using them in their infrastructure.
I recall when a company that I was an officer of (graphics content creation) merged with a tech firm (don't ask how this happened), the IT staff were terrified of us putting our Mac and SGI systems on their network. "Macs won't work on our network" was one I heard a lot. They were amazed when I just plugged it in and got on with no configuring of control panels or setting up TCP/IP stacks.
Just recently I was comparing notes with a PC user and we had to share an Excel file, she was fascinated when I opened the file in Numbers twice as fast as she opened it in Excel, after dragging it off her USB key... "this will work on your Mac?"

JEEZ!
May 29 '08 #4
Anim8me2
2 New Member
On a completely unrelated note, I had the pleasure of introducing Tony Hawk to the Mac when he came in to our store to get his Amiga repaired.
Creative Computers in Redondo was quite a happenin' place.
May 29 '08 #5
JayVee
1 New Member
Actually, for most skilled Windows & Unix Admin's the problem with allowing a multitude of Apple devices is simple: There is no granular security policy enforcement for Mac's in a windows world.

Domain administrators like to create domain policies that get pushed to users upon login to perform a variety of tasks, including: software installation & validation, security policy enforcement, password resets for system accounts, hardware audits and changes, network drive mappings and virus scanning.

None of those options are readily available on Macs.

Now, if your admin's don't want to run a scrict windows shop or you don't have the constraints of a windows network (like Exchange which still isn't supported properly by Entourage) then by all means adopt away :) Just pointing out that many windows shops or NIS unix shops have a problem integrating Mac's into their secure world of desktop and server interactions beyond the Network Shares post-login.
May 29 '08 #6
pbmods
5,821 Recognized Expert Expert
Heya, JayVee.

Mac OS supports login and logout hooks, allowing admins to do exactly what you are describing:

Mac OS X: Creating a login hook
May 29 '08 #7
speakafreaka
1 New Member
Mac OS supports login and logout hooks, allowing admins to do exactly what you are describing:
No. Show me how to deploy active directory security profiles and applications and then it can be used in a secure environment (i.e. financial institutions etc)

Its hard enough dealing with the multitude of user environments as it is without having to support unsecured macs too.
May 30 '08 #8
meanskachris
1 New Member
Just one correction Boris Yeltsin was not the ex- soviet premier but actually the first Russian Federation President who passed on the torch i believe in 2003 to President Putin.
May 30 '08 #9
Niheel
Here's a larger list found on google

Famous Mac Users

I'm sure there is more, but there isn't really a "CEOs who luv Apple" facebook group for us to spy into.

Add to the list if anyone else know of other CEOs and Executives
May 30 '08 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.