473,405 Members | 2,171 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,405 software developers and data experts.

prevent text to slide from a div

hello,
i have created a div with a text inside it and i gave it a width.
when i put a long text line inside it without space, the text is sliding out of the div.

does anybody knows how do i prevent the text slide that it will brake the word when it gets to the edge of the div.

thx.
May 20 '08 #1
9 2757
Death Slaught
1,137 1GB
Please provide your code or a link to a test site.

Thanks,
{\_/}
(' . ')
(")[DEATH](")
(")(")
May 20 '08 #2
hsriat
1,654 Expert 1GB
provide min-width instead of width.
May 20 '08 #3
Death Slaught
1,137 1GB
min-width doesn't exist in IE though....

Thanks,
{\_/}
(' . ')
(")[DEATH](")
(")(")
May 20 '08 #4
hsriat
1,654 Expert 1GB
ohh... I never knew that.

I hate IE.
May 20 '08 #5
Death Slaught
1,137 1GB
I'm fairly certain that it's min-width that or it's min-height... or both. I'll check in a moment.

Thanks,
{\_/}
(' . ')
(")[DEATH](")
(")(")
May 20 '08 #6
Death Slaught
1,137 1GB
Found it:

Height does not work correctly in IE. IE treats height as 'min-height'. And, as you might expect, min-height doesn't work at all in IE.
Thanks,
{\_/}
(' . ')
(")[DEATH](")
(")(")
May 20 '08 #7
guy, thx for the comments,

an example code of what my problem is:

just copy and paste it.
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
  2.         "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
  3. <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
  4. <head>
  5.   <title>ten la ba rosh</title>
  6.   <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
  7. </head>
  8. <body>
  9. <h1>script.aculo.us test file</h1>
  11. <div style="width: 100px; border: 1px solid; float: left;">    
  12.     <div style="float: left; ">
  13.     glskd l;sjk fg sjdjs  dkl; gj slkdgskldgs kldjf
  14.     fgkl;sjdf;gklsjdf;gjks d;fklgjsdlkf;gjsdkl;fgs
  15.     dfgsdklfgjlk;sgjskl;dgh jksl;dhfgjsldhfgjklshdfgjkshdfg\
  16.     sdfgsdhfgjkl;sdhfg;jsldhfgs
  17.     dfghsdkflghsdfjlghsdjlghuitghsdfhgsjlthgsuptghsdj;fghsjdfghsdufghs
  18.     fgshdlfghs;dfjgs
  19.     </div>
  20. </div>
  22. </body>
  23. </html>
May 21 '08 #8
hsriat
1,654 Expert 1GB
Oh... so you mean by including a div in another div of fixed width?
May 21 '08 #9
sorry for the long time...

yes i mean a div within a div, and when i enter a text without any space between the words.

i am not sure that it is possible, but maybe i am missing something, or there is a hack.

thx anyway for all the replys.
May 27 '08 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Ata | last post by:
Hello, I am trying to copy the contents of the output of SQL Reporting Services to a PowerPoint slide. For this, I am using SQL Reporting Services to obtain an IMAGE stream, which I paste to the...
by: WillRead | last post by:
I have a VB.Net application and a PowerPoint presentation explaining how each form in the application works, etc.. I would like to select and display the slide appropriate for each form by pressing...
by: Michael Burtenshaw | last post by:
I would like to make a slide show using random images. The problem is my host is 250.com, and they don't support cgi-programs. Is there another way to accomplish random images?
by: B Maxey | last post by:
I am storing images in a database and need a way to browse those files. I can load the files into an image list or whatever the control needs, but I need a control. It doesn't seem that any of...
by: Rudy | last post by:
Hello All! After working in the television industry, moving to a developing career has been interesting to say the least. 3 years of developing with books, and the help of you fine folks on this...
by: Johnny Holland | last post by:
Hi, I am working on a presentation tool (Powerpoint like) that allows the user to display text over a picture background. One of the best ways to make the text stand out would be to put a black...
by: Warren Post | last post by:
At <http://snow.prohosting.com/srcopan/dry/test.es.html>, you will see that the background image runs down the left margin. The right hand side of it is faded, watermark style, but it is one single...
iam_clint
by: iam_clint | last post by:
Heres some sample code I wrote up for you guys to use on making text effects <script> //TEXT EFFECTS CODE WRITTEN BY iam_clint! window.onload = doEffects; var speed = 15; //lower the number...
by: vineetbindal | last post by:
Hi all, We have a slide show in a page which shows slids rotating after every 8-10 seconds with some descriptions about them. The problem is if the connection speed is slow then the page loads...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.