473,405 Members | 2,310 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,405 software developers and data experts.

SendObject Loop does not loop through all records!!

I am having trouble with my loop code. The code works very well. However, it only loops through 3 records and then completes without errors. I will post code below. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Windows 2000 with Access 2000, sending email through Outlook 2000.

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  2. Private Sub Form_Load()
  3. On Error GoTo Err_Form_Load
  5.     Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
  6.     Dim bkMark As String
  7.     Dim stDocName As String
  8.     Dim strSendTo As String
  9.     Dim strSubject As String
  10.     Dim strMessageText As String
  12.     Set rst = Me.Recordset
  14.     bkMark = rst.Bookmark
  15.     Me.Bookmark = bkMark
  17.     rst.MoveFirst
  20.     Do Until rst.EOF
  22.         stDocName = "Request for Updated PO Info EMAIL"
  23.         strSendTo = Me.Suppliers_EmailAddress
  24.         strSubject = "Wesco Distribution Shipping Update Report"
  25.         strMessageText = "To:  " & Me.SupplierName & vbCrLf _
  26.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  27.             & "Attached is a Shipping Update Report for certain PO numbers." & vbCrLf _
  28.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  29.             & "Please review the attached report and reply back to this email with the requested information." & vbCrLf _
  30.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  31.             & "Thank you," & vbCrLf _
  32.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  33.             & "Wesco Distribution Expediting Department "
  35.         DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, stDocName, acFormatRTF, strSendTo, , , strSubject, strMessageText
  37.     rst.MoveNext
  39.     Loop
  41.     rst.Close
  43.     Set rst = Nothing
  45.     DoCmd.Close acForm, "Email", acSaveYes
  47. Exit_Form_Click:
  48.     Exit Sub
  50. Err_Form_Load:
  51.     MsgBox Err.Description
  52.     Resume Exit_Form_Click
  54. End Sub
Please help me figure this out. I am completely boggled by this.

Nick
Mar 31 '08 #1
10 3040
nspader
I should also state that the purpose of this code is to first select the supplier and supplier email from a table (only selecting ones that have emails). Then it is to send an email to each supplier with its own report in it.

As of now it works perfectly for the first three records everytime. It sends the report for that supplier to the correct supplier email.

I just cannot figure out why it ends after three records when I know there are 7 recods in the recordset (via form view).

Please help me to finish this DB. I am so close to finishing this.(last piece to put together before it is a finished product)

Thank you in advance (Again)

Nick
Mar 31 '08 #2
Stewart Ross
2,545 Expert Mod 2GB
Hi. At first glance there appear to be no errors in your code. However, at line 11 you are setting the recordset object rst by referring to the recordset property of the form; the norm is to use the recordsetclone method to do so.

Try set rst = Me.Recordsetclone instead and let us know whether this resolves the missing records issue.

If it does not resolve the missing records, you will have to check the processing going on within the loop by setting a breakpoint and checking that all records are being processed (using, say, Debug.Print on individual fields within the loop).

-Stewart
Mar 31 '08 #3
nspader
Hi. At first glance there appear to be no errors in your code. However, at line 11 you are setting the recordset object rst by referring to the recordset property of the form; the norm is to use the recordsetclone method to do so.

Try set rst = Me.Recordsetclone instead and let us know whether this resolves the missing records issue.

If it does not resolve the missing records, you will have to check the processing going on within the loop by setting a breakpoint and checking that all records are being processed (using, say, Debug.Print on individual fields within the loop).

-Stewart
I did try RecordsetClone...When I do that it loops on the first Record only.

Also, something I noticed, for multiple suppliers I have the same contact. It seems to stop after repeating the same contact twice in a row...The third file. Any help?
Mar 31 '08 #4
Stewart Ross
2,545 Expert Mod 2GB
Hi again. Recordsetclone is the right way to go. You mention that it only sends one record out when you do so - I've reviewed your code again and notice that you are not reffering to the rst recordset object's fields at all - you are referring to the fields on the current record of your form (see extracts below).
  1. Do Until rst.EOF
  2. ...
  3. strSendTo = Me.Suppliers_EmailAddress
  4. ...
  5. strMessageText = "To: " & Me.SupplierName & vbCrLf _
  6. ... 
  7. rst.MoveNext
  8. Loop
You should surely be referring to rst![Suppliers_EmailAddress] and rst![SupplierName], not exclusively to the form's fields if you are processing the underlying recordset within a loop.

-Stewart
Mar 31 '08 #5
nspader
Hi again. Recordsetclone is the right way to go. You mention that it only sends one record out when you do so - I've reviewed your code again and notice that you are not reffering to the rst recordset object's fields at all - you are referring to the fields on the current record of your form (see extracts below).
You should surely be referring to rst![Suppliers_EmailAddress] and rst![SupplierName], not exclusively to the form's fields if you are processing the underlying recordset within a loop.

-Stewart
I placed that into the code and now I get a return saying "Item not Found In This Collection". Any Suggestions?

Nick
Apr 1 '08 #6
nspader
I placed that into the code and now I get a return saying "Item not Found In This Collection". Any Suggestions?

Nick
I should have said it is on line srtTo = rst![supplier_emailaddress]
Apr 1 '08 #7
Stewart Ross
2,545 Expert Mod 2GB
I should have said it is on line srtTo = rst![supplier_emailaddress]
Hi. The error means that the field in the underlying recordset table or query is not called by the name listed, so it cannot be found. Could you check what the field name really is?

If you would prefer your DB to be checked by us directly you could Zip a 'sanitised' version of your DB (no sensitive data in it) and attach it as a post if this would help. To do so, after sending a reply use the Edit facilities and Manage Attachments to add an attachment to your post.

-Stewart
Apr 1 '08 #8
nspader
Hi. The error means that the field in the underlying recordset table or query is not called by the name listed, so it cannot be found. Could you check what the field name really is?

If you would prefer your DB to be checked by us directly you could Zip a 'sanitised' version of your DB (no sensitive data in it) and attach it as a post if this would help. To do so, after sending a reply use the Edit facilities and Manage Attachments to add an attachment to your post.

-Stewart
Thank you so much for you help. I did realize that it was not named properly and it works like a charm. I do have one question pertaining to this code.

Is there any code to show a message saying "no email addresses on file for selected branch" When I select a branch from the drop down list and it has no files in it?

Something like if BOF><EOF Then show message "..."

Any help is appreaciated as always.

Nick
Apr 1 '08 #9
Stewart Ross
2,545 Expert Mod 2GB
Hi Nick. It's good that it is now working for you!

To check for an empty recordset, output a message and exit from the subroutine enter something like this to do what you want. Place it above the loop (just before the DO UNTIL):
  1. IF rst.EOF then
  2.   MsgBox "There are no e-mail addresses in this set", vbExclamation, "No e-mail addresses"
  3.   Exit SUB
  4. END IF
-Stewart
Apr 1 '08 #10
nspader
Thank you for you help.

I will post my code below as a finished product for this Sub.

2. Private Sub Form_Load()
  3. On Error GoTo Err_Form_Load
  5.     Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
  6.     Dim bkMark As String
  7.     Dim stDocName As String
  8.     Dim strSendTo As String
  9.     Dim strSubject As String
  10.     Dim strMessageText As String
  12.     Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone
  14.     If rst.EOF Then
  16.         MsgBox "There are no Supplier Reports to Email in this Branch", vbExclamation, "No e-mail addresses"
  18.         rst.Close
  20.         Set rst = Nothing
  22.         DoCmd.Close acForm, "Email", acSaveYes
  24.         Exit Sub
  26.     End If
  28.     Do While rst.EOF = False
  29.         bkMark = rst.Bookmark
  30.         Me.Bookmark = bkMark
  32.         stDocName = "Request for Updated PO Info EMAIL"
  33.         strSendTo = rst![EmailAddress]
  34.         strSubject = "Wesco Distribution Shipping Update Report"
  35.         strMessageText = "To:  " & rst![SupplierName] & vbCrLf _
  36.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  37.             & "C/O:  " & rst![ContactName] & vbCrLf _
  38.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  39.             & "Attached is a Shipping Update Report for certain PO numbers." & vbCrLf _
  40.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  41.             & "Please review the attached report and reply back to this email with the requested information." & vbCrLf _
  42.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  43.             & "Thank you," & vbCrLf _
  44.             & "" & vbCrLf _
  45.             & "Wesco Distribution Purchasing Department "
  47.         DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, stDocName, acFormatRTF, strSendTo, , , strSubject, strMessageText
  49.     rst.MoveNext
  51.     Loop
  53.     MsgBox "All emails have been sent to Suppliers", 0, "Email Complete"
  55.     rst.Close
  57.     Set rst = Nothing
  59.     DoCmd.Close acForm, "Email", acSaveYes
  61. Exit_Form_Click:
  62.     Exit Sub
  64. Err_Form_Load:
  65.     MsgBox Err.Description
  66.     Resume Exit_Form_Click
  68. End Sub
Thank you again for all of your help. The forum is fantastic!!!
Apr 1 '08 #11

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.