473,408 Members | 1,826 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

Issue with a variable setting itself to the page?

Hey, I've got another issue, although my last one was never worked through... I'm pretty sure this is easy to solve. I've got a little javascript code and I would like to have it be able to fire an onmouseout without defining it explicitly within the HTML tags.

I added in a little code to tell me what the variable itemId was set to when it couldn't locate the object in the page. It came out with the location of the page instead of the variable that I had passed to the function originally (and then again inside a function that calls itself).

The focus is on lines 15 - 31.

-----> Demo

[HTML]<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function d2h(d) // Decimal to Hex
{
return d.toString(16);
}
function h2d(h) // Hex to Decimal
{
return parseInt(h,16);
}
function start(itemId)
{
var object = document.getElementById(itemId);
if(!object)
{
document.write("Error, itemId has been set to: "+itemId);
}
if(true) //object.onmouseover)
{
object.innerHTML = "Shiney Link! (Mouse: Over)";
setTimeout("start("+itemId+"); ", (1000));
}
else
{
object.innerHTML = "Shiney Link! (Mouse: Off)";
}
}
function restore(id)
{
// Nothing Yet
}
// -->
</script>
<title>Shiney Link!</title>
</head>

<body>
We are testing the "Shiney Link!" JavaScript program below!<br />
To test it, just simply move your mouse over the link.<br />
In the future we will work on making images, and tables do the same.<br />
<br />
<a href="./" id="shiney" onmouseover="start(this.id); ">Shiney Link! (Mouse: Off)</a>
</body>
</html>[/HTML]
Dec 14 '07 #1
4 1751
Dasty
101 Expert 100+
I did not follow the purpose of your script. But you got error (typo?). in your code. you are sending id to your function as string value. But in setTimeout you forgot to add quotation marks:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. setTimeout("start('"+itemId+"'); ", (1000));
But your code will end up in infinity loop of calling start() for your item id (every 1 sec). But it's maybe because the code is not finished yet.
Dec 14 '07 #2
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
What Dasty said, and...
I would like to have it be able to fire an onmouseout without defining it explicitly within the HTML tags.
...why not? Unless you mean inline, in which case you can use linkElem.onmouseout = ... or linkElement.addEventListener("mouseout",...)/linkElement.attachEvent("onmuseout",...).
Dec 14 '07 #3
Okay, that fixed the issue, but now, I'm having another issue - I intended to have it end when the user mouses off of it (notice how I commented out the object.onmouseover and used if(true) instead.) but it continues to be true even after I mouseoff.

EDIT: I did change if(true) to if(object.onmouseover) on line 22.

This would be solved if I did what acoder suggested, but I'm thrown by his response, if someone could explain in further detail about what he meant?
Possibly use an actual example?
Dec 14 '07 #4
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
This would be solved if I did what acoder suggested, but I'm thrown by his response, if someone could explain in further detail about what he meant?
Possibly use an actual example?
What I suggested is similar to using an inline onmouseout without declaring it inline.

For example,
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. object.onmouseout = someFunc;
where someFunc() is a function.
Dec 17 '07 #5

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.