473,327 Members | 2,065 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,327 software developers and data experts.

Problem with javax.comm.* package download for Windows.

dmjpro
2,476 2GB
Please Help!
I found it for Solaris and Linux but for windows I didn't.
Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #1
19 17339
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Please Help!
I found it for Solaris and Linux but for windows I didn't.
Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sun discontinued the old Java comm package for Windows. There's a substitute,
and a good one, available though: RXTX.

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #2
dmjpro
2,476 2GB

kind regards,

Jos
Thanks for your Reply!
Then how can I get that Jar?

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #3
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Thanks for your Reply!
Then how can I get that Jar?

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Did you actually *read* the home page of that RXTX site? Aren't you curious
to know what that mysterious 'download' link near the top of the page does?

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #4
r035198x
13,262 8TB
Did you actually *read* the home page of that RXTX site? Aren't you curious
to know what that mysterious 'download' link near the top of the page does?

kind regards,

Jos
Maybe you should have specified the exact co-ordinates of the download link.
Sep 21 '07 #5
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Maybe you should have specified the exact co-ordinates of the download link.
Measured in pixels? inches? centimetres? lat/long? ;-) If this 'not reading'
continues I'm afraid a whole lot of questions are going to be posted about this
serial communication topic.

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #6
dmjpro
2,476 2GB
Measured in pixels? inches? centimetres? lat/long? ;-) If this 'not reading'
continues I'm afraid a whole lot of questions are going to be posted about this
serial communication topic.

kind regards,

Jos
Actually I got it from another site..........Sorry for making a silly Question.

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #7
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
Did you actually *read* the home page of that RXTX site?
Reading? Reading? READING?

What's that? Never heard of it. Is it homoeopathic? ;-)

Greetings,
Nepomuk
Sep 21 '07 #8
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Reading? Reading? READING?

What's that? Never heard of it. Is it homoeopathic? ;-)

Greetings,
Nepomuk
Nope, it's just bad for your eyes; elderly people, they say, have read quite a bit;
that's why they have very bad eyes; reading wears out your eye muscles, i.e.
you have to move your eyes from left to right all the time; very bad for your eyes.

kind regards,

Jos ;-)
Sep 21 '07 #9
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
Nope, it's just bad for your eyes; elderly people, they say, have read quite a bit;
that's why they have very bad eyes; reading wears out your eye muscles, i.e.
you have to move your eyes from left to right all the time; very bad for your eyes.

kind regards,

Jos ;-)
Oh, that sounds awful! What can we do to prevent this from happening? I heard somewhere, that nowadays even small children are taught to read at school - shouldn't schools be sued for harming those young, innocent kids?

Worried,
Nepomuk (<--- Founder of the WSASFHCBTTTBLF (The "We'll Sue All Schools For Harming Children By Teaching Them To Be Literate Foundation"))
Sep 21 '07 #10
dmjpro
2,476 2GB

kind regards,

Jos
I tried with my which I did download first.
But some functions are not supported.
That's why I downloaded your's.
Now I get RXTXcomm.jar, and I dropped that into ext directory but Compiler says javax.comm.* does not exist.

Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #11
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
Now I get RXTXcomm.jar, and I dropped that into ext directory but Compiler says javax.comm.* does not exist.

Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Could you possibly have more than one ext directory? If you have one in your JRE and one in your JDK, then the compiler will probably look in that of the JDK but when running it you'll need it in the JRE...

Greetings,
Nepomuk
Sep 21 '07 #12
r035198x
13,262 8TB

Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Tut, tut, DJ, you really need to *read* what's on that site to be able to use their package. It's all there.
Sep 21 '07 #13
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB

Please Help!

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Have you read that RXTX uses another package name for copyright reasons?
btw, you also need to store two .dlls in your bin directory. Don't just dump files
all over the place and expect things to work automagically without reading at
least a few installation instructions.

What do you want to do with that serial port anyway?

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #14
dmjpro
2,476 2GB
Have you read that RXTX uses another package name for copyright reasons?
btw, you also need to store two .dlls in your bin directory. Don't just dump files
all over the place and expect things to work automagically without reading at
least a few installation instructions.

What do you want to do with that serial port anyway?

kind regards,

Jos

I got it from Sun Site.
Now all methods are supported.
Ok I ll read that doc.
The dll for native code for Com Port Interaction.

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #15
dmjpro
2,476 2GB
Could you possibly have more than one ext directory? If you have one in your JRE and one in your JDK, then the compiler will probably look in that of the JDK but when running it you'll need it in the JRE...

Greetings,
Nepomuk
I tried in both.
Now my code is error free.
Now I ll run that.

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
Sep 21 '07 #16
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
I got it from Sun Site.
Now all methods are supported.
Ok I ll read that doc.
The dll for native code for Com Port Interaction.

Kind regards,
Dmjpro.
That doesn't make sense: Sun doesn't have the RXTX package available for
download. What are you doing except making a mess out of your Java installation?

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #17
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB

Greetings,
Nepomuk
That is not true: the compiler doesn't look in the jdk's ext directory for anything.
Installing additional ext packages should only be installed in the jre's ext directory.

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #18
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
That is not true: the compiler doesn't look in the jdk's ext directory for anything.
Installing additional ext packages should only be installed in the jre's ext directory.

kind regards,

Jos
Oh, in that case I was misinformed. Never believe, what you read on the internet... ^^ But at least it works now.

Greetings,
Nepomuk
Sep 21 '07 #19
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Oh, in that case I was misinformed. Never believe, what you read on the internet... ^^ But at least it works now.

Greetings,
Nepomuk
If you're talking about the OP's problem: I sincerely doubt it: as I understand now,
the OP has an old Sun's version installed in his ext directory and one or more
dlls 'dropped' somewhere; who knows where he got the .dlls from.

kind regards,

Jos
Sep 21 '07 #20

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.