473,394 Members | 1,702 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,394 software developers and data experts.

Remove the background from desktop shortcut name

ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Hi there,
As you can see in the attached picture there is a blue color background on the name of the desktop shortcuts. How to remove this. (Should I say Plzzzzz ?)

Thanks
-ajaxrand
Attached Images

Aug 25 '07 #1
66 36389
epots9
1,351 Expert 1GB
i am not sure if that can be done, but you can change the colour if you want.
Aug 27 '07 #2
Nepomuk
3,112 Expert 2GB
It must be possible somehow, some of the Windows XP standard background picktures have it that way... I don't know, how they do it however.
Aug 27 '07 #3
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Guys, The default way of the background color should be transparent, right?
I don't know, how It came like this.but as I remember some thing related to "Copy to clipboard" makes it. Sounds crazy?
Anyway this is not a big issue, but there should be a solution to make it transparent.
Aug 27 '07 #4
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I don't have the background color on text on my system. I'll check to see what I did and let you know.

Back soon...
Aug 27 '07 #5
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Guys, The default way of the background color should be transparent, right?
I don't know, how It came like this.but as I remember some thing related to "Copy to clipboard" makes it. Sounds crazy?
Anyway this is not a big issue, but there should be a solution to make it transparent.
Yes, the default is transparent. I've looked every place that I can think of (including Tweak UI), but can't find such a setting. Is it really true that all of the icons on your desktop look like that, or is it just the selected one?
Aug 27 '07 #6
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Hi there,
As you can see in the attached picture there is a blue color background on the name of the desktop shortcuts. How to remove this. (Should I say Plzzzzz ?)

Thanks
-ajaxrand
OK do as i say
Go to system properties
Open Advanced Tab
Click Advance in performance frame (1st Button) (A list will open)
Check all of the checkboxes and see the result the background will vanished.
Try only checking "Smooth edges of screen fonts"

Aug 28 '07 #7
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Yes, the default is transparent. I've looked every place that I can think of (including Tweak UI), but can't find such a setting. Is it really true that all of the icons on your desktop look like that, or is it just the selected one?
I didn't select it bartonc. :D
All the names on my desktop Shortcuts, folders, Files are like this.
Still I couldn't find out a way to set this up back to Normal.

[Edit: Please click on the image to enlarge]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg to_bartonc.JPG (7.7 KB, 951 views)
Aug 28 '07 #8
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
OK do as i say
Go to system properties
Open Advanced Tab
Click Advance in performance frame (1st Button) (A list will open)
Check all of the checkboxes and see the result the background will vanished.
Try only checking "Smooth edges of screen fonts"

Sorry didn't work for me.Thanks.
Aug 28 '07 #9
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Hi
Let me check it out because i have done it many time ill answer you after a while ok wait for my reply
Aug 28 '07 #10
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Ok now you have seen 4 options
choose adjust for best appearence
I think it will work if you are using XP or 2000
Aug 28 '07 #11
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
OK do as i say
Go to system properties
Open Advanced Tab
Click Advance in performance frame (1st Button) (A list will open)<snip>
That's It!!! "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" when unchecked causes this!
Aug 28 '07 #12
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Ok now you have seen 4 options
choose adjust for best appearence
I think it will work if you are using XP or 2000
Yup Its XP SP2 in my box. but no luck yet.
I tried as you suggested, didn't work for me.
and I set the values to "Let windows choose what's best for my computer" but Still the desktop icons same as previous.
Aug 28 '07 #13
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
That's It!!! "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" when unchecked causes this!
Nop, bartonc It's strange Is it.
I know this is something uncommon. because I already tried all most all the settings.
Aug 28 '07 #14
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Yup Its XP SP2 in my box. but no luck yet.
I tried as you suggested, didn't work for me.
and I set the values to "Let windows choose what's best for my computer" but Still the desktop icons same as previous.
Just Choose
Adjust for best appearence
I have done it now and it done properly
Aug 28 '07 #15
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Just Choose
Adjust for best appearence
I have done it now and it done properly
Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance Settings-Visual Effects.
I tried all the options in the radio buttons, but NOT working.

As I think this is something abnormal, because I already tried all most all the things that I can do, and also your suggestions.

Thanks for helping me out.
Aug 28 '07 #16
epots9
1,351 Expert 1GB
you haven't installed any of those windows skins from the web have you?
Aug 28 '07 #17
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
you haven't installed any of those windows skins from the web have you?
No never....but Its better to try one of them, what you think? is there any good one to use with?
Aug 28 '07 #18
epots9
1,351 Expert 1GB
No never....but Its better to try one of them, what you think? is there any good one to use with?
I've haven't used one yet. i was just wondering cuz maybe, if you did, that might have messed things up.
Aug 28 '07 #19
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
I've haven't used one yet. i was just wondering cuz maybe, if you did, that might have messed things up.
Ok Guys, Thanks for your time. but I'll keep on searching for a solution. If I failed, There is only one way to prevent it.
Aug 28 '07 #20
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
For awhile there I had any and all icons that were shortcuts (would have that little arrow on it) show up as the icon for winamp files.
Craziest thing. Even through reboots.
Even crazier thing fixed it: playing rollercoaster tycoon fixed it.

Think of the craziest thing you can think of and try it.
(Did you switch skins from XP to Classic and back? or vice-versa?)
Aug 28 '07 #21
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
For awhile there I had any and all icons that were shortcuts (would have that little arrow on it) show up as the icon for winamp files.
Craziest thing. Even through reboots.
Even crazier thing fixed it: playing rollercoaster tycoon fixed it.

Think of the craziest thing you can think of and try it.
(Did you switch skins from XP to Classic and back? or vice-versa?)
Ah ha I changed the theme to classic. yeah now there is no color on the desktop item names. And I know the reason also, Its because there is no Desktop wallpaper for this theme. Now back to Windows XP theme with the desktop wallpaper...but problem comes again, but once I remove the Desktop wallpaper from XP theme, Icons displays with the normal way. So the problem is with the wallpaper(s) then ?
Aug 29 '07 #22
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
Ah ha I changed the theme to classic. <snip> So the problem is with the wallpaper(s) then ?
Interesting: My wallpaper was made by Adobe Photo Album. It works fine in the XP (modified) theme.
Aug 29 '07 #23
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Ah ha I changed the theme to classic. yeah now there is no color on the desktop item names. And I know the reason also, Its because there is no Desktop wallpaper for this theme. Now back to Windows XP theme with the desktop wallpaper...but problem comes again, but once I remove the Desktop wallpaper from XP theme, Icons displays with the normal way. So the problem is with the wallpaper(s) then ?
Hi
You have not solve the problem. When you remove the wallpaper then the color of backgroud and the icon background color are same so you think that you have remove it. But when you set a wallpaper you see the background of icon as it is.
So you have not solve the problem by using this way u can not set any wallpaper to xp. It can only be solve as i say before because i have solve it for myself. OK
Aug 29 '07 #24
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Hi
You have not solve the problem. When you remove the wallpaper then the color of backgroud and the icon background color are same so you think that you have remove it. But when you set a wallpaper you see the background of icon as it is.
So you have not solve the problem by using this way u can not set any wallpaper to xp. It can only be solve as i say before because i have solve it for myself. OK
Did I say SOLVED, No I think, I said problem remains yet, Sorry If i misguide you. By the way, the way you said didn't work for me. Thanks for helping me out.
Aug 29 '07 #25
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
Did I say SOLVED, No I think, I said problem remains yet, Sorry If i misguide you. By the way, the way you said didn't work for me. Thanks for helping me out.
Hi
I have found the solution of this problem and I m sure that it will work for you too as well as for me becuse i have tell you the wrong check box. So just go to system properties , Advanced, First setting button and check the second last check box labled Use drop shadow for icon labels on the desktop
Ok and plz try this i m sure it will work.
Aug 30 '07 #26
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Hi
I have found the solution of this problem and I m sure that it will work for you too as well as for me becuse i have tell you the wrong check box. So just go to system properties , Advanced, First setting button and check the second last check box labled Use drop shadow for icon labels on the desktop
Ok and plz try this i m sure it will work.
I tried that too, because bartonc already asked me to do that. but didn't work for me. Its something more than that, and can't fix it up with the normal Settings. As I remember (If I'm Correct) the thing was happened after I accept a message from (MS Word I think) "Copy to clipboard".
Aug 30 '07 #27
Ali Rizwan
925 512MB
I tried that too, because bartonc already asked me to do that. but didn't work for me. Its something more than that, and can't fix it up with the normal Settings. As I remember (If I'm Correct) the thing was happened after I accept a message from (MS Word I think) "Copy to clipboard".
Hello
So I m sorry for that and i hope you will do it
Aug 30 '07 #28
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
hah.. I was looking into your problem and I just found something really odd that i didn't know about before, and it's pertinent to your issue.

1) Right click on an emtpy space on your desktop
2) mouseover Arrange Icons By
3) If "Lock Web Items On Desktop" is checked, uncheck it.

I was fooling around in all the settings i could think of and clicked on it thinking "this couldn't be it..." and it coloured all the icons on my desktop with a blue background.. unchecked it, and it removed the background colouring. I even went so far as to check it.. and then go to system-advanced-performance settings and uncheck "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and it did NOT remove the blue background when "lock web items on desktop" was checked.

I'm pretty confident that will work for you!

Sincerely,
Mark
Sep 1 '07 #29
1) Do what markrawlingson suggests then skip to the second paragraph if the background remains. Another method to acheive the same result... Right-click desktop, select Properties, select the Desktop tab, select the Customize Desktop button, select the Web tab, uncheck Lock Desktop Items, OK out. If the Icon label background remains...

2) Right-click My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced, select Performance, select Performance Settings, place a check in Use Drop Shadows... OK out.

That should do it.

Timogin
Sep 2 '07 #30
hi all,
im read all of your Discussion. It is realy exiting on me. And now i got a new tips on this conversation. Im very greatfull to join this site . thank you all.

I have also many problem & question . I will ask one by one to solve this .thank you again to all of you.
bye
monirul .

1) Do what markrawlingson suggests then skip to the second paragraph if the background remains. Another method to acheive the same result... Right-click desktop, select Properties, select the Desktop tab, select the Customize Desktop button, select the Web tab, uncheck Lock Desktop Items, OK out. If the Icon label background remains...

2) Right-click My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced, select Performance, select Performance Settings, place a check in Use Drop Shadows... OK out.

That should do it.

Timogin
Sep 2 '07 #31
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Thank you so much for all the responses. Please don't feel bad about me. The only what I can say again after trying those suggestions, It didn't work for me. Sorry. :(
Sep 3 '07 #32
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
Ok, found another couple possible solutions...

1) Go to display properties
2) Go to the desktop tab
3) Go to the Customize Desktop tab
4) Go to the Web tab
5) This page should display a list, consisting of at least one checkbox with a description - if not more. It is web content, things like ms word/frontpage can generate junk in here. Make sure NONE of these are checked.. and personally I would go so far as to delete all of them that you are able to.
6) Of course, as previously stated.. make sure that Lock Desktop Items at the bottom is unchecked
7) ok out of all the windows.

If that doesn't help still - what is the file type of your background image? I've heard that certain image types (namely .png) can also cause this to occurr. Try changing the image to a windows default image and see if that helps. I've also read some .jpgs can cause this.

Another possible solution...

If you have a TV out videocard and the option "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" is checked, go to display properties >settings >click monitor 2, give it a value of 800x600 or above.

I've also read that this can occurr if you've edited your registry to delete your recycle bin for some reason or another!

You may also want to create a new user profile on your computer to see if it really is a setting issue. Theoretically, if you create a new profile and the icons still have a blue background - it's probably not a settings issue at that point.
Sep 3 '07 #33
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
Hmm active desktop is a good point.
If you have active desktop turned on they will turn blue like that (Possibly also if you have them be single-click activate and not double-click activate)

It's possible that if you were in a context menu that had "Copy To Clipboard" that right next to it was a "Add as desktop item" or something similar and you accidently got that one and it turned on your active desktop?
Sep 4 '07 #34
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Ok, found another couple possible solutions...

1) Go to display properties
2) Go to the desktop tab
3) Go to the Customize Desktop tab
4) Go to the Web tab
5) This page should display a list, consisting of at least one checkbox with a description - if not more. It is web content, things like ms word/frontpage can generate junk in here. Make sure NONE of these are checked.. and personally I would go so far as to delete all of them that you are able to.
6) Of course, as previously stated.. make sure that Lock Desktop Items at the bottom is unchecked
7) ok out of all the windows.
There was a path like this on the location and after deleting that also It didn't change the background color
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. file:///C:/DOCUME~1/MyAccount/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif
And another like this, But can't delete.
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. about: home 
And I've noticed this, just now.
On Display properties >> DesktopTab there is a drop down list for selecting the colors. from there I could set up new background color to the desktop Items. Is there any way to make this transparent from that place.
Sep 4 '07 #35
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
I would imagine that the clip_image is from word. The about: home is simply your homepage and it cannot be deleted from that list...

Many things have been suggested here and nothing is working obviously. This has GOT to be a registry problem. What I believe is happening is when you're changing the settings - windows is just basically unchecking/checking a checkbox without actually submitting the changes to your registry itself.

The below is a registry EDIT - I would sincerely suggest backing up your registry before performing any registry edit. However I strongly believe this one will fix the problem.

1) Launch Notepad
2) Copy the bold text below into notepad
3) File --> Save As
4) Type the filename as "myfix.reg" and set the Save As Type to "All Files"
5) Save the file to somewhere easy to access like your desktop
6) Double Click the file and commit the changes to your registry.

Makes sure you copy ALL of the bold below into notepad.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"WallpaperFileTime"=-
"WallpaperLocalFileTime"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=-
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=-
"ForceActiveDesktopOn"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"=-
"WallpaperStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Background"="0 78 152"

If that STILL doesn't do it - then it's got to be one of two things : Your background image, or a 3rd party application is messing with it. If it doesn't work... remove your background image completely and just leave the background as a solid WHITE colour and see if the icons are then transparent or not. If the transparency disappears then it's the background image.
Sep 5 '07 #36
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
Oh, and

And I've noticed this, just now.
On Display properties >> DesktopTab there is a drop down list for selecting the colors. from there I could set up new background color to the desktop Items. Is there any way to make this transparent from that place.
That's the solid background colour selector, you won't be able to make the background colour of the icons transparent with that - only solid colours. Closest you'd get is white.
Sep 5 '07 #37
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
Hi mark,
I did as you said, and restarted the machine. When It comes there was no desktop image and just a blue back ground color. and Its same as the desktop item names background color.In other words If I set the desktop image to "none" from the display properties, this is same as that. Then I just try to set the default desktop wallpaper for windows. but again desktop background color came on the short cut names. Anyway Thanks for your time. and my special thanks goes to others also.
Sep 6 '07 #38
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
hmmm, that is seriously messed up!! The only other thing I can suggest is an application called Iconoid. It definately has an option to set the background colour of your icons to transparent, but my best guess is that all it does is change the registry kind of like the regedit i gave you does.

Try it anyway though, maybe you'll get lucky... other than that, I gotta tell ya, I'm stumped!

I'll keep looking around and if i find another possible solution i'll post it.. in the meantime if you end up fixing it... do tell!
Sep 6 '07 #39
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
hmmm, that is seriously messed up!! The only other thing I can suggest is an application called Iconoid. It definately has an option to set the background colour of your icons to transparent, but my best guess is that all it does is change the registry kind of like the regedit i gave you does.

Try it anyway though, maybe you'll get lucky... other than that, I gotta tell ya, I'm stumped!

I'll keep looking around and if i find another possible solution i'll post it.. in the meantime if you end up fixing it... do tell!
Sure Thanks a lot. I'll try that.
Sep 6 '07 #40
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
This computer is currently using Active Desktop.
Some Iconoid function,such as transparent icon backgrounds,are disabled.
This is what Iconoid telling to me. So Transparent background option has disabled with the tool. but I have only about:home and that also unchecked on the web tab.
Sep 6 '07 #41
Plater
7,872 Expert 4TB
I would guess that somewhere a regestry setting is being protected from being changed.

So turn on active desktop and turn it off again and see if that fixes it. If not do you have some sort of regestry locker? Symantic? Spybot? mcaffee?
Sep 6 '07 #42
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
This is what Iconoid telling to me. So Transparent background option has disabled with the tool. but I have only about:home and that also unchecked on the web tab.
Don't worry about that, just hit the disable button and you should get the menu that has the transparency feature. I don't have active desktop and it said the same thing for me.. (?) No idea why.
Sep 6 '07 #43
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
I would guess that somewhere a regestry setting is being protected from being changed.

So turn on active desktop and turn it off again and see if that fixes it. If not do you have some sort of regestry locker? Symantic? Spybot? mcaffee?
Kaspersky is here in my system but I've tried with after disabling that also.
Sep 7 '07 #44
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
Can you not get Iconoid to work still? It said the same thing on my system but there is a button that said "Disable Active Desktop" which when I clicked, then allowed me to alter the background colour/transparency for the icons.
Sep 8 '07 #45
For XP Specifically:

1. Open the Control Panel

2. Click the "System" Icon

3. Choose the "Advanced" Tab

4. Under the "Performance" Section, click "Settings"

5. Now, here's the trick.

a. Locate the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" Option

a1. If the box is checked, then "un-check it" (turn it off), then click "OK"

b. Check the box (turn it on), then click "OK"

The results are immediate.
Sep 9 '07 #46
bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
For XP Specifically:

1. Open the Control Panel

2. Click the "System" Icon

3. Choose the "Advanced" Tab

4. Under the "Performance" Section, click "Settings"

5. Now, here's the trick.

a. Locate the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" Option

a1. If the box is checked, then "un-check it" (turn it off), then click "OK"

b. Check the box (turn it on), then click "OK"

The results are immediate.
Thanks for that. But I guess that you didn't actaully read the thread. You solution was covered in post #12.
Sep 9 '07 #47
ak1dnar
1,584 Expert 1GB
Where is the "Disable Active desktop" really...

Sep 11 '07 #48
I have the exact same problem with my PC. It definitely has something to do with active desktop. How it started was I did a print screen of an image and pasted it into MS word to crop. I then copied the cropped image and then right clicked on the desktop and pasted it. This then came up with a message about active desktop and I before I could read it I accidentally hit enter. Ever since I did this my desktop icons have had the blue drop shadow on the text below them. I have been trying all the solutions you have suggested so far in this thread and none of them have worked. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Oct 16 '07 #49
markrawlingson
346 Expert 100+
Hmmm, try this then...

1) Save the following in a text file with a .vbs extension (EG: regfix.vbs, and run it) This will toggle enabled/disabled the active desktop.

Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WSHShell, n, p, itemtype, MyBox, vbdefaultbutton
Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktop"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"

n = WSHShell.RegRead (p)
errnum = Err.Number

if errnum <> 0 then

WSHShell.RegWrite p, 1, itemtype
End If

If n = 0 Then
WshShell.RegWrite p, 1, itemtype
MyBox = MsgBox("Active Desktop is now DISABLED", 64, "Disable Active Desktop")
End If

If n = 1 Then
WshShell.Regwrite p, 0, itemtype
MyBox = MsgBox("Active Desktop is now ENABLED", 64, "Enable Active Desktop")
End If

Set WshShell = Nothing

VisitKelly's Korner

Sub VisitKelly's Korner
If MsgBox("This script came from the Tweaks Section of Kelly's Korner" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Would you like to visit Kelly's Web Site now?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton, "Visit Kelly's Korner") =6 Then
wshshell.Run "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm"
End If
End Sub

2) Start > Run > gpedit.msc > under 'User Configuration' > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Active Desktop

There are two items referring to the active desktop here, double click each one and set its property accordingly.

Enable Active Desktop --> Disable
Disable Active Desktop --> Enable

Reboot computer.

I don't know what else you could do, I've suggested everything I can find - this is a tough one. I will research some more on the topic and see what else I can find, but I think we've sifted through every grain of sand on the beach here near enough so the answer can't be too far off.. lol

Sincerely,
Mark
Oct 17 '07 #50

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.