473,388 Members | 1,375 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,388 developers and data experts.

Understanding Connection Pooling

viswarajan
Introduction

This article is to go in deep in dome key features in the ADO.NET 2 which was shipped with VS 2005.

In this article I will go trough one of the key features which is the Connection Pooling.

This feature is a key feature plays an important role in the performance in most of business application or Data driven application.

What's Connection Pooling?

Connection pooling is the ability of re-use your connection to the Database. This means if you enable Connection pooling in the connection object, actually you enable the re-use of the connection to more than one user.

The connection pooling is enabled by default in the connection object. If you disable the connection pooling, this means the connection object which you create will not be re-used to any other user than who create that object.

Shall I Enable/Disable Connection pool?

Let's do an example to use what the time has required if we enable/disable the connection pool in an application.

Sample 1(Connection Pooling is enabled):

Create a console application and put the following lines of code to Main Method:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. SqlConnection testConnection =  new SqlConnection(@"Data Source=(local)\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=DEMO;Integrated Security=SSPI;");
  3. long startTicks = DateTime.Now.Ticks;
  5. for (int i = 1; i <= 100; i++)
  7. {
  9.     testConnection.Open();
  11.     testConnection.Close();
  13. }
  15. long endTicks = DateTime.Now.Ticks;
  17. Console.WriteLine("Time taken : " + (endTicks - startTicks) + " ticks.");
  19. testConnection.Dispose();
]

Run the application, on my machine the difference in time is: 937626 ticks

Sample 2(Connection Pooling is disabled):

Just add Pooling=false in the connection string.

Run the application, on my machine the difference in time is: 3906500 ticks

If you measure the difference you will see the time required by disabling the connection polling is 4 times greater than using connection pooling.

On of the good practices when using your connection object is enclose your code by try {..} catch {} finally {} blocks.

On finally block you have to call Conn.Close(); or Conn.Dispose();

To remove all resources attached to that connection.

One of you asked what's the difference of calling Close or Dispose, the answer don't use both of them, Dispose method actually call close method internally plus remove all allocated resource for that object to be garbage collected and at the same time the underlying connection object can be pooled.

Conclusion

Use connection pooling in your applications to maximize the use of physical connection with the Database and your application.

Thanks,
Natarajan.V
<link removed>
Aug 20 '07 #1
0 6558

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Rob Nicholson | last post by:
We're getting an occasional occurrence of the following error when two users try and open the same record in our ASP.NET app: "There is already an open DataReader associated with this Connection...
by: Lenny Shprekher | last post by:
Hi, I am getting issues that Oracle collecting opened sessions (connections) from my webservice using regular System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection object. I am guessing that this is connection...
by: Mrinal Kamboj | last post by:
Hi , I am using OracleConnection object from Oracle ODP.net provider and following is the behaviour which i am finding bit strange : To start with my argument is based on followings facts : ...
by: Martin B | last post by:
Hallo! I'm working with C# .NET 2.0, implementing Client/Server Applications which are connecting via Network to SQL-Server or Oracle Databases. To stay independent from the underlaying Database...
by: JimLad | last post by:
Hi, In an existing ASP/ASP.NET 1.1 app running on IIS 6, I need to RELIABLY pass the logged in username through to the SQL Server 2000 database for auditing purposes. The current method is...
by: crbd98 | last post by:
Hello All, Some time ago, I implemented a data access layer that included a simple connectin pool. At the time, I did it all by myself: I created N connections, each connection associated with...
by: fniles | last post by:
I am using VS2003 and connecting to MS Access database. When using a connection pooling (every time I open the OLEDBCONNECTION I use the exact matching connection string), 1. how can I know how...
by: Sylvie | last post by:
I have a static function in a class, everytime I call this function, I am creating a SQLconnection, open it, use it, and null it, All my functions and application logic is like this, Every...
by: Tony Johansson | last post by:
Hello! How does this connection pool function actually ? As I have been told is that when the connection is returned to the pool the connection to the database is still open. What you do is that...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.