473,382 Members | 1,745 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,382 developers and data experts.

Reserved Words in Access, Especially Date and Time

missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
When naming controls and variables in Access you should always be careful not to use Access Reserved Words! If you have to give them a similar name, use something like txtDate, or even better, OrderDate.

The use of Date and Time is particularly troublesome! The statements

Date = "12/31/07"
and Time = "11:59:59 PM"

will not place "12/31/07" in a textbox named Date, nor "11:59:59 PM" in a textbox named Time, it'll reset your computer's clock to one minute to New Year's Day!

Reserved Words

-A
ADD
ALL
Alphanumeric
ANY
Application
AS
ASC
Assistant
AUTOINCREMENT
Avg
-B
BETWEEN
BINARY
BIT
BOOLEAN
BY
BYTE
-C
CHAR, CHARACTER
COLUMN
CompactDatabase
CONSTRAINT
Container
Count
COUNTER
CREATE
CreateDatabase
CreateField
CreateGroup
CreateIndex
CreateObject
CreateProperty
CreateRelation
CreateTableDef
CreateUser
CreateWorkspace
CURRENCY
CurrentUser
-D
DATABASE
DATE
DATETIME
DELETE
DESC
Description
DISALLOW
DISTINCT
DISTINCTROW
Document
DOUBLE
DROP
-E
Echo
Else
End
Eqv
Error
EXISTS
Exit
-F
FALSE
Field, Fields
FillCache
FLOAT, FLOAT4, FLOAT8
FOREIGN
Form, Forms
FROM
Full
FUNCTION
-G
GENERAL
GetObject
GetOption
GotoPage
GROUP
GROUP BY
GUID
-H
HAVING
-I
Idle
IEEEDOUBLE, IEEESINGLE
If
IGNORE
Imp
IN
INDEX
Index, Indexes
INNER
INSERT
InsertText
INT, INTEGER, INTEGER1, INTEGER2, INTEGER4
INTO
IS
-J
JOIN
-K
KEY
-L
LastModified
LEFT
Level
LOGICAL, LOGICAL1
LONG, LONGBINARY, LONGTEXT

-M
Macro
Match
Max, Min, Mod
MEMO
Module
MONEY
Move
-N
NAME
NewPassword
NO
Not
NULL
NUMBER, NUMERIC
-O
Object
OLEOBJECT
OFF
ON
OpenRecordset
OPTION
OR
ORDER
Orientation
Outer
OWNERACCESS

-P
Parameter
PARAMETERS
Partial
PERCENT
PIVOT
PRIMARY
PROCEDURE
Property
-Q
Queries
Query
Quit
-R
REAL
Recalc
Recordset
REFERENCES
Refresh
RefreshLink
RegisterDatabase
Relation
Repaint
RepairDatabase
Reports
Requery
RIGHT
-S
SCREEN
SECTION
SELECT)
SET
SetFocus
SetOption
SHORT
SINGLE
SMALLINT
SOME
SQL
StDev, StDevP
STRING
Sum
-T
TABLE
TableDef, TableDefs
TableID
TEXT
TIME, TIMESTAMP
TRANSFORM
TRUE
Type
-U
UNION
UNIQUE
UPDATE
User
-V
VALUE
VALUES
Var, VarP
VARBINARY, VARCHAR
-W
WHERE
WITH
Workspace
-X
Xor
-Y
Year
YES
YESNO
Jun 7 '07 #1
0 8508

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: George Stout | last post by:
First off I do not know alot about writing queries to an Access Database from an ASP page. This is why I need help. I have an Events database for 6 colleges in our metro area. On the homepage I...
by: Matthew Cascio | last post by:
My understanding is that using reserved words as column names is allowable as long as they are quoted. I am trying to create a table dynamically with columns defined by the first row of a text...
by: Benoit Martin | last post by:
I'm working on a project in VB.net connecting to a SQL Server 2000 database that I can't modify I created a dataset with a schema identical to the DB. When trying to update the DB from the dataset...
by: Stephen Howard | last post by:
I've got a moderately complex function defined which i then want to be able to test the value of, as well as select the value: select id, vector_cosine(document,'') as threshold from...
by: metaperl | last post by:
-- python -i File "<stdin>", line 1 class = "algebra" ^ SyntaxError: invalid syntax Why isn' t the parser smart enough to see that class followed by an identifier is used for class...
by: Robert | last post by:
I ask because, in Access help, it does not list is as such, however, I had a table with a field named 'Name'. If I put a control on a form and used this as the control source no problems, but if I...
by: jbiggs via AccessMonster.com | last post by:
I am in the process of converting our backend from Access to mySQL. There are 21 tables and all of them except for one exported correctly. Our clients table is giving me problems and I suspect it...
by: adampierce | last post by:
I am trying to run a pretty simple select query in Access 2007, and I keep getting the error message "Reserved error (-1524); there is no message for this error." There are no linked tables in the...
ThatThatGuy
by: ThatThatGuy | last post by:
I was working in a online inventory application for my client.... I had a Access database......in which there was a few tables..... In one of my tables i had columns like PurchaseDate,...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often need to import Excel data into databases (such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle) for data analysis and processing. Usually, we use database tools like Navicat or the Excel import...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.