473,320 Members | 1,920 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,320 developers and data experts.

Subqueries in SQL

NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
To use a subquery (SQ) in SQL there are two ways :
  1. Treating the SQ as a record source (like a table).
  2. Treating the SQ as a single value.
In either case, the SQ is a simple SELECT query but surrounded by parentheses ().
In case 1 the SQ should either be in the FROM clause or, sometimes possible put within the In() command.
In case 2 the SQ can be used in place of any other item that returns a value (SELECT; WHERE; HAVING; GROUP BY; etc).

Assume the following structure :
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Table Name=tblOKData
  2. ID; Autonumber; PK
  3. Name; String
with records :
  1. 1   Bat
  2. 2   Ball
  3. 3   Racquet
  1. Table Name=tblALLData
  2. ID; Autonumber; PK
  3. Name; String
with records :
  1. 1   Glass
  2. 2   Cup
  3. 3   Plate
  4. 21  Bat
  5. 22  Ball
  6. 23  Racquet
Using a SQ within In().
Say that we wanted to show the tblAllData.ID for all items whose names match those found in the tblOKData table. We could use an INNER JOIN in this case, but alternatively (necessary to illustrate the point here) we could do it with a SQ.
The code would be :
  1. SELECT ID
  2. FROM tblAllData
  3. WHERE Name In(SELECT [Name]
  4.               FROM tblOKData)
Using a SQ within the FROM clause as a Recordset.
The simplest form of this is to surround a basic SELECT query in parentheses and rename (AS {Name}).
In this case we want the same effect as the SQL above.
The code would be :
  1. SELECT subQ.ID
  2. FROM (SELECT *
  3.       FROM tblAllData) AS subQ INNER JOIN tblOKData
  4.   ON subQ.Name = tblOKData.Name
Using a SQ as a Simple Value.
We want to select all tblAllData.IDs which are greater than the average value of these IDs.
The code would be :
  1. SELECT [ID]
  2. FROM tblAllData
  3. WHERE [ID]>(SELECT Avg([ID])
  4.             FROM tblAllData)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SubQueries.Zip (8.6 KB, 750 views)
Jan 26 '07 #1
0 14645

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: pete | last post by:
Been banging my head against the wall with subqueries. Even simple stuff like this fails: SELECT CompanyName FROM tblcompanies WHERE CompanyName IN (SELECT HostName FROM tblhosts) Am I...
by: Daniel Elliott | last post by:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a problem I'm having. I'm trying to use the following query: SELECT Distinct c.site_id FROM campsite c WHERE c.site_id NOT IN...
by: Nick | last post by:
Im moving a development app (MySQL 5.0) to a different server which runs MySQL 4.0.20-standard. I am getting errors on queries that have subqueries such as... SELECT id FROM table1 WHERE id IN...
by: Kevin | last post by:
While converting SQL statements for a database change, I discovered a big performance hit in MYSQL with subqueries vices Sybase. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me understand why? ...
by: CSN | last post by:
Is there much difference between using subqueries and separating out them into separate queries? __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building...
by: orin | last post by:
Hi all, I've seen mention that you can use nested subqueries down to as many levels as you like but whenever I run the following: select * from table1 where tab1ID in (select tab1ID from...
by: psuaudi | last post by:
I have a main query that I would like to call two different subqueries. In MS Access, I usually just save the two subqueries as separate queries which are then called by a third separate and main...
by: muzu1232004 | last post by:
Can anyone explain me when we use correlated subqueries rather than nested subqueries. Do all the correlated subqueries can be written in nested subqueries form as well ? What are the major...
debasisdas
by: debasisdas | last post by:
Using Subqueries ================== The sub query is often referred to as a nested SELECT, Sub - SELECT, or inner SELECT statement. The sub query executes once before the main query. The...
by: lizandra | last post by:
Greetings, I am a newbie, I have been working to extract data from a basic sales db and trying to decide when I should use joins and when I should use subqueries. Much of what I read online says...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.